Pie and Bovril home improvements

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:
6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
Are you doing it yourself?

Not unless I want my house ending up like that one in Ayr.

Just keep the book handy and don't worry about having bits left over, they always put too many in.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

8 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's the same principle. You pay an "expert" if you like.

When condensing combi boilers came along, many plumbers must have had no idea why they had to run a bit of plastic pipe out the boiler. Seen so much damage from these pipes simply stopping over folks’s ceilings, under kitchen units etc and eventually flooding the place. 

On 21/10/2021 at 20:43, Empty It said:

What sort of price should I be expecting to replace an old back boiler to a combi?

Fair bit of work involved in that, stripping out the back boiler, hot water cylinder and disconnecting the storage tank and header tank in the attic, then running your flow and return to wherever you are siting the combi, as well as grouting the gas supply which will probably need upgraded to 22mm, then you need to factor in connection of a condensate drain to said boiler, an electrical supply and coring a hole in the wall for the flue...unless it's going through the roof where you will need flue extensions and a slate piece etc.

Two, maybe 3 days work for one guy, a couple of guys should do it in about a day and a half, two tops.

If its a standard size property with one kitchen and bathroom and 8nor less radiators a 25 to 30kw will suffice, I like the Ideal Logics or, if you have a few more bucks to play with a Worcester ERP. 

Stay clear of Vokera and Ferroli, utter pish. 

You would be realistically looking at something in the region of 2.5k to 3k for something like that, if you want a laugh get a quote from Scottish Gas who will quote minimum 4 grand and recommended a rake of unnecessary shite to bump the price up.

Hope that helps 

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Fair bit of work involved in that, stripping out the back boiler, hot water cylinder and disconnecting the storage tank and header tank in the attic, then running your flow and return to wherever you are siting the combi, as well as grouting the gas supply which will probably need upgraded to 22mm, then you need to factor in connection of a condensate drain to said boiler, an electrical supply and coring a hole in the wall for the flue...unless it's going through the roof where you will need flue extensions and a slate piece etc.

Two, maybe 3 days work for one guy, a couple of guys should do it in about a day and a half, two tops.

If its a standard size property with one kitchen and bathroom and 8nor less radiators a 25 to 30kw will suffice, I like the Ideal Logics or, if you have a few more bucks to play with a Worcester ERP. 

Stay clear of Vokera and Ferroli, utter pish. 

You would be realistically looking at something in the region of 2.5k to 3k for something like that, if you want a laugh get a quote from Scottish Gas who will quote minimum 4 grand and recommended a rake of unnecessary shite to bump the price up.

Hope that helps 

Not a fucking chance.