Scotland Vs Faroe Islands Weds 31st March

Gordopolis

Just now, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

The irony😂

There's no debate happening because you're an utter simpleton that won't take part in one. I've asked you one simple question 4 times now, and you have repeatedly dodged it because you know fine well it goes completely against the grain of your hypothesis. 

Kind of hard to enter a debate with someone who refuses to. 

If 5atb is a defensive formation, how have Atalanta managed to record the 3rd highest goals per game ratio(behind PSG and Bayern) in Europe's top 5 leagues since the beginning of the 2019/20 

Again with the childish insults. Pathetic, one more and your on ignore.

The point i was making is that the top teams who look to dominate possession in every game. Dont play 532. Ive been overwhelmingly proved correct. 

Thanks to you parading West ham and lens as top teams.

Your desperately trying to engage me about atalanta, who I dont watch. But if you love their 532, thats great. They have won absolutely nothing playing it.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Leicester are a top club then?

They played a 3-4-3 in their 3-1 win over Manchester United recently.

I didn't say no top club ever ever plays 3 centre backs. I said very few do. Some will occasionally, depending on the game. 

Do you think atalanta are a top club?

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Anyway for me this game is why Turnbull should be in the squad.

Yeah and Gauld. Ideally we shouldn't be asking many if any players to play the vast majority of all three games. And Turnbull/Gauld are the sort of players who could open up a defence and score from midfield. 

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I didn't say no top club ever ever plays 3 centre backs. I said very few do. Some will occasionally, depending on the game. 

Do you think atalanta are a top club?

I think it's a lot more common than you think. Barcelonas last match against Sociedad, they won 6-1 and started with 3 at the back. That's a game they were expected to dominate and won comfortably.

I'd say Atalanta are comfortably in the top 15 clubs in Europe right now, yes. That's borne out by them being 4th in the 3rd best league in Europe and comfortably qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League. 

6 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Yeah and Gauld. Ideally we shouldn't be asking many if any players to play the vast majority of all three games. And Turnbull/Gauld are the sort of players who could open up a defence and score from midfield. 

The second half of the Israel game shows Scotland can press high and win possession inside the oppositions half.
Putting the faroe's  on the back foot from the start of the game instead of allowing them to settle.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The second half of the Israel game shows Scotland can press high and win possession inside the oppositions half.
Putting the faroe's  on the back foot from the start of the game instead of allowing them to settle.

I am at a stage where I wasn't going to use up any brownie points putting this on TV, but it might be interesting to see if we actually go out and try to dominate a game where there is absolutely no excuse for not doing so. None.

4 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I am at a stage where I wasn't going to use up any brownie points putting this on TV, but it might be interesting to see if we actually go out and try to dominate a game where there is absolutely no excuse for not doing so. None.

Yip, I can understand the lukewarm approach in the Austria game and away to Israel but not at home to the faroe islands.

I think it's a lot more common than you think. Barcelonas last match against Sociedad, they won 6-1 and started with 3 at the back. That's a game they were expected to dominate and won comfortably.

I'd say Atalanta are comfortably in the top 15 clubs in Europe right now, yes. That's borne out by them being 4th in the 3rd best league in Europe and comfortably qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League. 

I'd say scotland vs the faroes is a far bigger gap than Barcelona Sociedad. Barcelona vs a regional team would be more comparable.

If your interpretation of top club has them in it, fair enough. My opinion differs. Im considering it as the very best clubs, the clubs in with a shout of winning the champions league regularly.

Its a pretty pointless debate. As its purely subjective.

What formation would you go with against the faroes?

Edited by BingMcCrosby

8 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

What formation would you go with against the faroes?

I don't particularly mind, I think both systems have their merits and issues. I think we're yet to play our strongest team in either formation to make a judgement on which might be best. 

I don't particularly mind, I think both systems have their merits and issues. I think we're yet to play our strongest team in either formation to make a judgement on which might be best. 

Whats our strongest 532 team then? Who's been missing?

Our strongest team for me would have Ryan Jack and Scott McTominay next to each other in midfield. 

I wouldn't disagree with that tbh. But as good as Jack has been for us, I dont think he could have made much of a difference in the first half. Given how negatively we were set up.

I always find it funny when people say 5-3-2 is a negative tactic. It is similar to when people automatically think if you play 4-4-2 you are going to score more. A formation is just that. Something for the commentators to mark out each player before a game. However, throughout the different phases of the game, a team can have so many different formations that are led off from the initial 5-3-2. Within seconds, it can become a 3-4-3 etc. People get bogged down in formations but they are pretty unimportant if the team is taught to be fluent between the different phases

rather than talking about defensive playing in terms of how many names are on the back row of the team sheet, how about talking about it in terms of the average distance that everyone stands off their mark when we don't have possession? because right now 20 yards would look like an outrageous expression of aggression.

This needs to be a cricket score. Strachan's attitude to games like this should have seen him burned alive in the centre circle.