Scotland Vs Faroe Islands Weds 31st March

Gordopolis

9 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Talking about other posters rather than football, as per usual.

Sweetie wife thread for this pish

Literally your first post on this thread was also digging a poster up for next to no reason, then go on a bizarre tirade against anyone who cared to have a view different from yourself.

I suggest you do yourself else a favour and sit this one out until Wednesday night. 

Edited by gannonball

Just now, gannonball said:

Literally your first post on this thread was also digging a poster up for next to no reason, then go on a bizarre tirade against anyone who cared to have a view different from yourself.

I suggest you do yourself else a favour and sit this one out until Wednesday night. 

Its funny how I keep saying that, you keep making excuses.

But come back on, only to talk about other posters.

43 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Marshall Gordon McLaughlin

O'Donnell Hendry Hanley McKenna Tierney Robertson

McLean

McBurnie

1-1, 90th minute OG from the Faroes to rescue us a point.

I had a horrible feeling earlier that our team would include McClean, Fleck and McBurnie. 

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I had a horrible feeling earlier that our team would include McClean, Fleck and McBurnie. 

I would not be surprised if at least one of those three started.  

Edited by Savage Henry

I would not be surprised if at least one of those three started.  
Makes sense from a freshness perspective. Two haven't played at all so far and one's only had two short sub appearances.
Imagine the seethe if McBurnie started and it finished 0-0!

From what I can see, Clarke has played 352 for no other reason than to avoid getting sworded by 4 goals like we did by Belgium (twice) and Russia when playing 442

That shouldn’t be the case against Faroes but I think he’ll stick with it regardless

Teams like the Faroes can be hard to break down, and I always think the best way to overcome that is by getting the ball into the wide areas and having midfielders push up to support the main striker

Marshall

O'Donnell - Hendry - Hanley - Tierney

McGinn - McTominay - McGregor

Armstrong - Dykes - Christie

Teams like the Faroes can be hard to break down, and I always think the best way to overcome that is by getting the ball into the wide areas and having midfielders push up to support the main striker

Marshall

O'Donnell - Hendry - Hanley - Tierney

McGinn - McTominay - McGregor

Armstrong - Dykes - Christie

Get christie as far away as possible. Its like playing with a man down. Constantly losing the ball as well as not bring able to beat first man with any cross

14 hours ago, Aufc said:

I always find it funny when people say 5-3-2 is a negative tactic. It is similar to when people automatically think if you play 4-4-2 you are going to score more. A formation is just that. Something for the commentators to mark out each player before a game. However, throughout the different phases of the game, a team can have so many different formations that are led off from the initial 5-3-2. Within seconds, it can become a 3-4-3 etc. People get bogged down in formations but they are pretty unimportant if the team is taught to be fluent between the different phases

You're 100% right, but I think a lot of people have an issue with Clarke's 3-5-2 as even when we are playing against 'weaker' teams, it is setup very defensively with a flat back 5 in most phases of play, and 2 centre mids sitting very deep, even when we're in possession. 

I've never seen us play the 3-5-2/3-4-3 under Clarke without it being like that, so understand why people are apprehensive about us playing the same system against the faroes. 

Love McGinn, but think he could do with a rest. 

Would like to see Palmer again, as apart from skinning Alaba once O'donnel hasn't impressed me at all going forward recently. 

Marshall

Palmer-Hanley-Tierney-Roberston

Armstrong-McTominay-McGregor-Fraser

Adams-Nisbet

15 hours ago, Aufc said:

I always find it funny when people say 5-3-2 is a negative tactic. It is similar to when people automatically think if you play 4-4-2 you are going to score more. A formation is just that. Something for the commentators to mark out each player before a game. However, throughout the different phases of the game, a team can have so many different formations that are led off from the initial 5-3-2. Within seconds, it can become a 3-4-3 etc. People get bogged down in formations but they are pretty unimportant if the team is taught to be fluent between the different phases

While I agree in general, it's a simple way of getting at the bigger problems. It was more 5-2-3 against Austria, and 5-3-2 against Israel, but it is the details that are more important. The main issue with the 5 at the back is that it has left us playing like we're a man down in many areas of the pitch. For the Austria match and half the Israel match we played like we were playing with a back 4 with an additional centre half, which left so much space just outside the box and left us a man down trying to press further up the pitch. And when you've got Stephen O'Donnell at wing back, you're not going to be a massive attacking force down the right, and particularly against Austria Robertson was pinned in at left back. It's the classic add a third centre half because you don't trust any 2, but it didn't work. 

The worst thing about it is that this group has been an absolute gift. Winning the group would be like finishing second in 9 out of 10 WC qualifying groups that we'll be in. We should have been taking the risk and going for it, but we've been far too passive. I could understand defending the system as being not too defensive if McTominay was still in the back three and there was an attacking right wing back, but that's not what we did and it left very little of the flexibility in the system to become something different - O'Donnell isn't suddenly going to become a winger, Hendry or Hanley aren't suddenly going to step out and dictate play from the back, etc. It hasn't worked and it has left us with no margin for error in the group whatsoever. 

14 hours ago, ewan14 said:

If we play four at the back who will be picked ?

Robertson , Tierney , Hanley , O'Donnell ?

or replace Robertson with MacKenna or Considine and move Tierney to LFB ?

Who would have thought that, in 2021, Scotland fans would be calling for Big Considine to replace Andy Robertson?