Midlands League

Marten

On 25/02/2023 at 23:41, BigSash said:

Great win. Definitely going to be there for the run in.

Carnoustie not letting up either though, and Lochee Utd and Downfield are needing them to start dropping points. 

Both still to play Carnoustie away. Going to be a cracking climax.  

Carnoustie are the favourites, there are no doubts about that. We need to keep winning and hope they drop points, same for Downfield & Broughty really. But there is still a long way to go so it's by no means over yet.

On 24/02/2023 at 06:40, Dev said:

There's likely to be an awkward number of clubs in the league no matter if some new clubs enter in time for next season. Also, over time, some clubs may be lost after moving up to the HFL.

Maybe the league should copy what the EoS did and go to a Conference style Phase One to the season with two weighted conferences, so they are approx the same standard, at 10 and 9 clubs each playing on a home and away basis or 10 clubs each with Montrose Roselea's return. Then Phase Two being the top five from both conferences playing each other home and away for the Championship. Only the Phase Two matches would count towards the title. The following season same again with weighted Phase One divisions etc before Phase Two. The ten lower clubs would play each other home and away too in Phase two. That would give them sufficient matches for the league season(?). This system would make less open to problems with not having the "right" number of clubs each season.

I say separate into two tiers of 10 clubs each, but here's the twist: still play the clubs in the other division. Play everyone in your division home and away and everyone in the other division home or away, for 28 matches. Normal promotion and relegation between the two levels would follow at the end of the season. This formula gives fewer mismatched games (although there are still some) while avoiding having to play the same opponents three or four times per season. Traveling fans get to visit every ground in the league at least every other year.

I actually think the ideal scenario would be to dissolve this league, put the Perthshire/Dundee teams in the EoS and the Angus in the Highland. That maybe wouldn’t be too popular with the Dundee-based teams I imagine but I personally think it’s one region too many and has caused this imbalanced league with a load of Mickey Mouse teams in it.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

53 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I actually think the ideal scenario would be to dissolve this league, put the Perthshire/Dundee teams in the EoS and the Angus in the Highland. That maybe wouldn’t be too popular with the Dundee-based teams I imagine but I personally think it’s one region too many and has caused this imbalanced league with a load of Mickey Mouse teams in it.

The Angus teams in the Highland? That would promote them even though none of them is licensed.

I'd support 2 regionalised tier 6 leagues below the HL with the rest in the 3 regions coming below that. The area is too big for just 1 tier 6 feeder imo. I can't see that happening any time soon though. A proposed North/Midlands tier 6 league never made it for example.

5 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I actually think the ideal scenario would be to dissolve this league, put the Perthshire/Dundee teams in the EoS and the Angus in the Highland....

It's Scottish football so ideal scenarios don't happen only path of least resistance outcomes based on pragmatism and selfish self-interest. The SFA don't believe in rigid boundaries so it all revolves around what the clubs and leagues actually want moving forward rather than on some masterplan imposed from on high.

The EoS don't appear to be keen on moving any further northwards so unless that changes Luncarty is as far north as the EoS is ever going to go. I'm skeptical whether the EoS would try very hard to hold onto Luncarty, Jeanfield, Kinnoull and maybe even Newburgh and St Andrews if they wanted to move into the Highland League catchment in much the same way the North Region were happy enough to let Montrose Roselea go, but no idea whether any of those clubs would actually conceivably want that.

My understanding is that at one point the HL didn't want the Tayside clubs but the Midlands League happened (timing was ideal in many ways given the North region was about to become a feeder) so nothing much is likely to change unless Brechin City get promoted to the SPFL but then relegated again and even then maybe they've changed their outlook on the whole Club 42 relegation issue after their time in the HL...

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I think it would probably make more sense to have a clear boundary with Perthshire teams being in the Midlands League. I think that's what would have happened had it not been for the influx of juniors to the EoS before the Midlands League was formed. Jeanfield, Kinnoul and Luncarty played in the old Tayside region pre-2002 alongside the current Midlands League clubs. I really don't see them moving the boundary further south when there's already such a massive imbalance in numbers between the Highland-area leagues and the Lowland-area ones.

In the main the Perthshire teams in the EOS league are doing very well and there is no need for them to move to the Midland league

Jeanfield sitting second in the Premier with Lowland league ambitions 

Luncarty and Kinnoull in or around the promotion places in the 1st Division with Luncarty already with a EOS cup this season

Only Newburgh are struggling a bit in the second and seem to have found their level. 

13 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

In the main the Perthshire teams in the EOS league are doing very well and there is no need for them to move to the Midland league

Luncarty and Kinnoull in or around the promotion places in the 1st Division with Luncarty already with a EOS cup this season

Only Newburgh are struggling a bit in the second and seem to have found their level. 

Luncarty also have the prospect of playing in the Scottish Cup next season if they can beat Renfrew & whoever wins the Alba Cup in SOS.

On 01/03/2023 at 10:58, Marten said:

The Angus teams in the Highland? That would promote them even though none of them is licensed.

I'd support 2 regionalised tier 6 leagues below the HL with the rest in the 3 regions coming below that. The area is too big for just 1 tier 6 feeder imo. I can't see that happening any time soon though. A proposed North/Midlands tier 6 league never made it for example.

Sorry, yeah I meant the North region. Essentially from a personal perspective I think it would be better if all the Perthshire teams were together in the EoS, especially Letham & Scone.

3 hours ago, realmadrid said:

And Newburgh would be the least likely to want to move as they chose to go into the South region when the leagues were split in the last 2 seasons of the "old" junior leagues. They prefer being with other clubs from Fife.

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Sorry, yeah I meant the North region. Essentially from a personal perspective I think it would be better if all the Perthshire teams were together in the EoS, especially Letham & Scone.

Fair enough, Perth is a bit the odd one out with Letham & Scone in the ML. Perthshire to the north of the city (& Luncarty) does feel like it belongs in the ML. Blairgowrie & Coupar Angus would travel far more in the EOS. If new/amateur clubs in North Perthshire would try to get a team in the pyramid (like Breadalbane for example), I would expect them to join the ML as from where they are based that seems sensible.

3 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I'm not sure it would be better for almost ammys like Letham, Scone and Coupar Angus to move from playing in and around Dundee into a league almost entirely in West Lothian.

22 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm not sure it would be better for almost ammys like Letham, Scone and Coupar Angus to move from playing in and around Dundee into a league almost entirely in West Lothian.

That’s a fair point but these places aren’t any further from Perth than the likes of Arbroath, Montrose, Forfar, Brechin, Kirriemuir etc. Letham I view as not far off Kinnoull in standard and so would find a decent level soon enough I’m sure.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

On 01/03/2023 at 10:02, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Please dont move us back again, we are starting to get dizzy as it is!! Does kind of make sense and there could still be a bit more of Mike Reids "Runaround Now" until the Pyramid settles. Montrose Roselea as a club have shown to be adaptable and will continue to do so if it benefits Lower League football

1 hour ago, tellyboy said:

Please dont move us back again, we are starting to get dizzy as it is!! Does kind of make sense and there could still be a bit more of Mike Reids "Runaround Now" until the Pyramid settles. Montrose Roselea as a club have shown to be adaptable and will continue to do so if it benefits Lower League football

Welcome to the Midlands League. ;) 

Downfield 9-0 Forfar West End

Haven't taken in this impressive Downfield team enough this season, but I doubt today is typical. Any semblance of competitiveness in this game quickly disappeared with the Spiders taking a 3-0 lead inside 15 minutes, including a free kick which I couldn't figure out how it got past the keeper.

4th goal was a 30+ yd screamer from the impressive Liam McArtney, who immediately went off clutching his hamstring (I have to assume he's taken the shot cos he couldn't run lol). 5th goal before HT was also a peach from outside the box. 2nd half was just going through the motions, and a dispirited West End leaked some cheap goals. Downfield also had 2 goals chopped off for offside and missed a few good chances, while West End got forward a few times and really should've scored from Downfield's one defensive mistake. Have to feel for the visitors, as almost all their players looked to be teenagers, just bullied all over the pitch and didn't put in many challenges at all.

Enjoyed being back at Downfield Park, and I see the young ultras who have gone one better from their drum and bought a megaphone 😂, some good entertainment even in the duller moments, nothing puts off a Forfar West End break more than the 'happy birthday to you' tune!

IMG_20230304_153425.thumb.jpg.18268b086f466db2feca10ffa15610a8.jpg

Edited by RossBFaeDundee