Play Off Final Airdrie Vs Morton

As clear a case of shat breeks as you're likely to see from Airdrie. They haven't had too much trouble scoring goals this season, but while Morton are harder to score against than most teams in League One, to create literally f**k all over two legs can only be put down to a bottle job. 

To think if their 1-0 defeat to us had finished 1-1 (hit the inside of the post in injury time), and other results stayed the same, they'd have won the league. As it is, those staunch flegs will just have to keep fluttering in the seaside league wind. 

54 minutes ago, Thumper said:

If I were an Airdrie player watching the ball rumble completely unopposed one yard from the Morton goal, I would simply bother to try to kick it.

...but then again you probably collect stamps...or Barbie dolls...or......

28 minutes ago, Lex said:

Gus achieving what he came for then. If Morton keep a hold of him they will stay up next year.

This is in no way a patronising comment.No...not in the slightest.Couldnt possibly be a patronising comment.

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Just saw butler on the bench for us. What's the deal with him? Signed as back up keeper and never been seen or heard of and we have a kid on the subs bench. Thought he had left tbh.

Aye...saw that...did you also see McGinty ?.......(hope I dont see him again).

35 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

We had under performing players all season . Gus was just in the door. Give the guy a break FFS 

He wasn't just in the door when we had Inverness (h) as a game in hand and then the Alloa and Arbroath games to finish off the league campaign. One win from three would have been enough - he got none.

Finishing 9th was an utter failure from management and I'm not buying this revisionism about it. 

29 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

As clear a case of shat breeks as you're likely to see from Airdrie. They haven't had too much trouble scoring goals this season, but while Morton are harder to score against than most teams in League One, to create literally f**k all over two legs can only be put down to a bottle job. 

Or maybe there's a gulf in quality between the Championship and the seaside league your mob just clambered out of. 

Once McGinty was left out of the picture our defence was simply comfortably better than Airdrie's forwards or indeed the donkeys like Crighton in their own back line. That was the key difference. They made Robbie Muirhead look like Karim Benzema, while Fjortoft, McLean, Strapp and Ledger all had the cigars out against the jobbers they were dealing with. 

From all accounts Airdrie got into the playoffs by being well-organised, strong on set pieces and awkward to play against - they came up against a better version of the exact same approach and so couldn't lay a glove on it. If Ayr had been in the play-off then it might have been a better match-up for them, but I think Ayr would have won comfortably as well. They are just nowhere near good enough for this level. 

45 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

To think if their 1-0 defeat to us had finished 1-1 (hit the inside of the post in injury time), and other results stayed the same, they'd have won the league. As it is, those staunch flegs will just have to keep fluttering in the seaside league wind. 

Aye.....and this time next season you'll be there to keep them company.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Or maybe there's a gulf in quality between the Championship and the seaside league your mob just clambered out of. 

Once McGinty was left out of the picture our defence was simply comfortably better than Airdrie's forwards or indeed the donkeys like Crighton in their own back line. That was the key difference. They made Robbie Muirhead look like Karim Benzema, while Fjortoft, McLean, Strapp and Ledger all had the cigars out against the jobbers they were dealing with. 

From all accounts Airdrie got into the playoffs by being well-organised, strong on set pieces and awkward to play against - they came up against a better version of the exact same approach and so couldn't lay a glove on it. If Ayr had been in the play-off then it might have been a better match-up for them, but I think Ayr would have won comfortably as well. They are just nowhere near good enough for this level. 

VT......he talkin' truth here.

Guest Peter LaFleur
14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Can’t disagree with any of that. League 1 is a horrible league in which other league 1 clubs think Falkirk fans are bitter if we comment as such. The gulf was there to see over the two leagues. Our howling squad managed the majority of the season top spot for capitulating in embarrassing style.

Is Fjortoft out of contract in the summer? He’d be a staggering upgrade over the diddy Durnan who has just been punted. McGinn absolutely schooled Turner tonight as well.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game tonight and found Morton surprisingly good on the eye. The atmosphere of the fans helped to keep the intensity high throughout the 90minutes.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Robbie Muirhead.......         THE NEW BRIAN WAKE!!!   

🤣 🤣 🤣

1 hour ago, TONTROOPER said:

Steady on!

The similarities are all there:-

1.  The long and dodgy hairstyle.

2.  He’s been called a donkey (or worse) by much of the support for most of the season.

3.  When the chips were down and it mattered most he produced not just two but THREE goals to save Morton from relegation.

The “Robbie Muirhead - Goal Machine”  T-shirts should be getting printed at this very moment.

😂😂👍😝

Job done comprehensively. That was never in the slightest bit of doubt, we totally controlled the game and every one of the starting XI played well. Great to be back at a game and hopefully come the League Cup it's a much more normal experience.

I was sure when we ended up in the playoffs that we'd missed our chance at survival already by missing out on 8th. It'd be easy to attribute the turnaround from 2 wins in 19 in the league to 3 in 3 in the playoffs solely to underestimating the gap between the divisions, but you have to give the players credit for the mentality, and credit to MacPherson for instilling that in them as well as making some brave choices over those three games.

58 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

The similarities are all there:-

1.  The long and dodgy hairstyle.

2.  He’s been called a donkey (or worse) by much of the support for most of the season.

3.  When the chips were down and it mattered most he produced not just two but THREE goals to save Morton from relegation.

The “Robbie Muirhead - Goal Machine”  T-shirts should be getting printed at this very moment.

😂😂👍😝

They are....as I type!

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Job done comprehensively. That was never in the slightest bit of doubt, we totally controlled the game and every one of the starting XI played well. Great to be back at a game and hopefully come the League Cup it's a much more normal experience.

I was sure when we ended up in the playoffs that we'd missed our chance at survival already by missing out on 8th. It'd be easy to attribute the turnaround from 2 wins in 19 in the league to 3 in 3 in the playoffs solely to underestimating the gap between the divisions, but you have to give the players credit for the mentality, and credit to MacPherson for instilling that in them as well as making some brave choices over those three games.

Excuse me Dunning but I stopped reading your post after the second sentence.............it doesnt matter.

19 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Dunning...you seem to be in the know:

Before I commit funds to MCT ......When will we ALL have the full prospectus. 

Airdrie did well to get to this stage. Ultimately we came up against a similar team to us but one that was simply better and fitter. Obviously injuries and tiredness played a part in our downfall but we did f**k all over the two legs so can’t complain with the score. The fact jack mckay played both legs sums it up.

Well done to Morton. That first goal from Muirhead was an absolute beezer and deserving of contributing to keeping you guys up. I suspect we would have been cannon fodder next season anyways

7 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Dunning...you seem to be in the know:

Before I commit funds to MCT ......When will we ALL have the full prospectus. 

I don't think I'm any more ITK than the average MCT member for what it's worth - my contribution amounts to paying a monthly subscription and nothing else - but the document they put out along with the survey on the revised takeover deal which was approved by members is the most extensive thing they've shared:

https://mortonclubtogether.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/mct-community-ownership.pdf

I would say it's a bit light on details on the footballing side of things, but I'm hoping that's due to a combination of having been working flat out on the legal and financial aspects of finalising the takeover at that point and also some aspects of the footballing strategy not being appropriate for public consumption yet rather than no strategy being developed.

Fair play to Morton who deserved their victory over the 2 legs.

Us Airdrie fans can only wonder how different it may have turned out had we not been without 3 of our starting 11 for the first match and and further 2 in the second. As it was there was a chasm between the sides last night not helped by some of the decisions made by Mr Murray. We may not have won but it would certainly have been far closer than a 4 nil aggregate scudding.

Another close season wondering what the revolving door signing policy will bring us.

12 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If Partick can only finish two points ahead of this Airdrie team they're favourites for relegation.

If Thistle keep the nucleus of the team that finished the season we'll be nowhere near it. Looking forward to Cappielow again