Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

58 minutes ago, Drewmc said:

McCormack also made it on to the park at the end of the game to get involved in the ‘handbags’. Having been sent off he should not have been there. That could bring a long suspension as it looked like the dug out side linesman saw it.

When McGregor got sent off it was quite funny watching him shout ‘Do you want some too’ at various Shire players whilst conveniently hiding behind Stuart Hunter.

There wasn’t much quality on show but it was feisty and entertaining once the goals started. A result that did neither team any favours and didn’t harm them either.

interesting to see John Brownlie on the touchline as a Shire coach. A genuinely great player who epitomised what attacking full back play was all about. 

John Brownlie said it wasn’t a pen 

5 minutes ago, blooz said:

6 red cards. 4 B U and 2 shire

I'm sure it was Comrie who was sent off after the final whistle. Him and Rodden were both on yellows so yet to be confirmed if it was a second yellow that was given or a straight red.

Ref lost the plot early doors. Numerous bookings for nothing meant that when the game got a bit feisty the red was always coming out.

Interested to see how the league deal with McCormack and McGregor who were given a red whilst suspended etc. Not sure that Gibbons and Skinner would've seen red if the ref had it under control, I think the foul sounded worse than it was.

I was right at the penalty and the defenders arms were out and he gives a soft push. Not sure if the lino or ref gave it but the lino on the other side of the dugout was just as bad for biting back at the fans who quite rightly were giving him stick.

It was good to get a derby feel with a team that actually has fans. Shouting about the juniors always gets a good reaction, witnessed a few funny reactions from the home fans.

Dont think it'll be anywhere near as firey in the return leg as you are a 10 minute taxi journey from the pitch. A point was probably a fair result but the officials ruined the game for me.

Why were a suspended player and an injured player in the dugout in the first place?

McCormack will get an additional suspension, Skinner suspended, in the aftermath of the Ref’s report Comrie could be suspended plus the injured player will get more time for recovery.

The Refs report will take the rest of the weekend to try and make sensible reading probably.

Hope there was a Supervisor watching the performance of said officials as they were totally inept.

We have doubled our points tally in the last three games, putting us in a much better position in the league table. 50 points is a reasonable aspirational target which would mean a top half finish at least.
We scored well worked, well finished goals yesterday, conceded a decent goal, one where we gave the ball away in midfield and didn't recover (again) and a hotly disputed penalty. There was some lovely interchange between Galbraith and Stevenson on the left and Dev fitted right in, looked like he had been in the team all season, though appeared to tire in the latter stages.
I really enjoyed the game, it was reminiscent of junior games against frequently played rivals.

Why were a suspended player and an injured player in the dugout in the first place?

They should have been on the terraces if they wanted to shout abuse at the officials.
Big games coming up at Gretna and Wick and we shoot ourselves in the foot with needless suspensions. The BU's need to learn a bit of control where the officials are concerned. Max doesn't set a great example as he gets spoken to frequently.

2 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

It was good to get a derby feel with a team that actually has fans. Shouting about the juniors always gets a good reaction, witnessed a few funny reactions from the home fans.

Shouting about the juniors is naturally going to get a few funny reactions - Probably due to its irrelevance at a Lowland League match, Bo’ness having left the Juniors several years ago and the grade having ceased to exist in the East.

2 hours ago, boheesian said:

Hope there was a Supervisor watching the performance of said officials as they were totally inept.

Even if there wasn’t a supervisor present, I’m assuming the match was recorded as per usual? Fairly sure I seen someone filming 🤔

Anyway, it’s definitely in the interests of both sides (and the rest of the LL) that either the full match is uploaded or every inept decision made by the officials is included in the highlights.

24 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

They should have been on the terraces if they wanted to shout abuse at the officials.
Big games coming up at Gretna and Wick and we shoot ourselves in the foot with needless suspensions. The BU's need to learn a bit of control where the officials are concerned. Max doesn't set a great example as he gets spoken to frequently.

I agree that the suspended players shouldn’t have been on the bench.

The performance of the referee and both linesman was the root cause of all the drama yesterday.

I get your point about a bit of control but I’d be far more concerned if Max was quiet on the touchline. Yesterday, both benches were guilty of being up out the dugout yelling at the referee and opposition players. However after one poor call and a few shouts from the BU bench, the dugout side linesman seemed desperate to be the centre of attention and desperate to go greeting to the referee about every single poxy little thing from then on.

More of a concern is how many officially sent off , what will happen re suspensions and why the hell was a suspended player in particular sitting on the bench . Could do with BU explaining on the usual social media pages .

Already short of players with 2 cup ties coming up .

Here's my understanding of the disciplinary rules.

Serious Foul Play, Violent conduct and spitting at an opponent are all straight reds and 2 game bans. Doesn't matter if one of the next 2 games is a cup game, the player is out for 2.

Red cards for other offences such as foul and abusive behaviour or a second yellow is a one game ban effective immediately in the same competition i.e. the next LL game at Gretna.

There are further penalties for a second red in the same game.....which I don't think happened v the Shire.

Also if a red carded player from the Shire game has already had a red card in the LL this season he would have to miss 2 LL games.......but would be ok for the game at Wick.

Looks like no BU player suspended for the trip to Wick.

Anyone know different please post.

3 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Here's my understanding of the disciplinary rules.

Serious Foul Play, Violent conduct and spitting at an opponent are all straight reds and 2 game bans. Doesn't matter if one of the next 2 games is a cup game, the player is out for 2.

Red cards for other offences such as foul and abusive behaviour or a second yellow is a one game ban effective immediately in the same competition i.e. the next LL game at Gretna.

There are further penalties for a second red in the same game.....which I don't think happened v the Shire.

Also if a red carded player from the Shire game has already had a red card in the LL this season he would have to miss 2 LL games.......but would be ok for the game at Wick.

Looks like no BU player suspended for the trip to Wick.

Anyone know different please post.

Not going to argue your points but the next Gretna game is not Lowland League action.

99% sure the next LL game is Caledonian Braves on the 25th the week after the Wick game. The Gretna game is in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup or something like that?

Edit: found it

https://www.eosfl.com/gct/55/east-of-scotland-qualifying-cup?art=299

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, seenitall said:

More of a concern is how many officially sent off , what will happen re suspensions and why the hell was a suspended player in particular sitting on the bench . Could do with BU explaining on the usual social media pages .

Already short of players with 2 cup ties coming up .

Never understood this and hopefully a lesson learned for the management team.

Seen it before where just because a player isn't suited and booted, they think they are invisible to the officials and say/do what they want when in fact it's an open goal to a referee, especially one as far out of his depth as the one yesterday was. I hope McCormack wasn't stupid enough to enter the field of play at the end as has been suggested in a previous post. If he did and was spotted, he'll be hammered by the league and should get his baws booted by the club as well.

On a more positive note, I haven't been overly convinced by Greg Skinner so far this season but thought he played really well yesterday. Not often you say that when a player gives away a 'penalty' and gets sent off but in an unfamiliar back four line-up I thought he was excellent. Nice to have Dev back as well.

Took in my first Lowland league derby game yesterday and was not disappointed by the 2 teams  trying to win this game. Entertaing and exciting it was. What was a shocker was the match officials, ref will want to forget this match, and his assistants were more of a hindrance than help to him. I did notice  i'm sure was a ref supervisor standing along from me, and can only hope his instruction and report is acted upon to improve the standards. I also thought that the conduct of both sets of players added to the difficulty for the ref at times. At the final whistle most fans of both teams were talking about the officials, and not the efforts of both teams and the goals. 

2 hours ago, YirTea'sOot said:

Never understood this and hopefully a lesson learned for the management team.

Seen it before where just because a player isn't suited and booted, they think they are invisible to the officials and say/do what they want when in fact it's an open goal to a referee, especially one as far out of his depth as the one yesterday was. I hope McCormack wasn't stupid enough to enter the field of play at the end as has been suggested in a previous post. If he did and was spotted, he'll be hammered by the league and should get his baws booted by the club as well.

On a more positive note, I haven't been overly convinced by Greg Skinner so far this season but thought he played really well yesterday. Not often you say that when a player gives away a 'penalty' and gets sent off but in an unfamiliar back four line-up I thought he was excellent. Nice to have Dev back as well.

McCormack absolutely did enter the pitch at the end of the game. Got involved in the nonsense then ran off……utterly pathetic. In response to the various comments about so many cards……as Broomage5 has said the referee wasn’t helped by the players. In particular both captains were constantly badgering the referee from early on, to hand out yellow cards for every single foul. Maybe the referee will learn to ignore that stuff, but experienced captains should know better that  haranguing a referee to hand out cards was a self fulfilling prophecy. 

First lowland league derby for me yesterday and found it thoroughly entertaining. Some good football from both teams, sendings off, poor refereeing, good prices to get in and at pie hut and decent terracing banter. 

Yer man did run onto the pitch, got involved then ran off again, absolute banger! My understanding is only those named on the team sheet ( team sheet has subs, coaches and physios) should be in the technical area. The fact he was already suspended means he should have been nowhere near there. Surprised the manager or secretary didn't know that.

I'll be back again when my team are away from home, all the best.