Bill Cosby freed

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They need the evidence to be bulletproof, in Cosbys case, he was found guilty on one count despite over 60 women saying he had assaulted them. Some are time barred and some are “too remote” to prosecute. 

Weinstein was charged with one sexual assault and one rape despite dozens of complaints against him. He has grounds for appeal. 

Not really overwhelming. I’m sure if you asked most folk, they would think both had been charged with much more. Both are regarded as unrepentant sex offenders. 

Post me too, women are hopefully more likely to come forward at the time and are more likely to be believed so there should be no abuse of power situations where they think getting felt up by a celebrity or powerful figure will ruin their career should they come forward. 

On Cosby, the statute of limitations in the states where he was accused was 10 years. So anything pre-2004 was not possible to be charged. That left just one accusation as a possibility, the one being looked at here. You might not find it overwhelming but once it came out that he was being pursued for this one case, 60 women came forward to state that he assaulted them in years going back to the 1960s. 

California has now got rid of their 10 year statute of limitations as a result of this. And this instance of him being let out will, I think, not help women feel willing to come forward against powerful men in future.

11 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

On Cosby, the statute of limitations in the states where he was accused was 10 years. So anything pre-2004 was not possible to be charged. That left just one accusation as a possibility, the one being looked at here. You might not find it overwhelming but once it came out that he was being pursued for this one case, 60 women came forward to state that he assaulted them in years going back to the 1960s. 

California has now got rid of their 10 year statute of limitations as a result of this. And this instance of him being let out will, I think, not help women feel willing to come forward against powerful men in future.

From what I saw, he is unlikely to be re-tried due to his age and condition making him “unlikely to re-offend” 

there are Nazis that committed atrocities arrested in their 90’s who are unlikely to engage in a holocaust again but are still tried and convicted.

Cosby will undoubtedly change that ruling as well, removing “compassion” as a literal get out of jail free card

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

From what I saw, he is unlikely to be re-tried due to his age and condition making him “unlikely to re-offend” 

there are Nazis that committed atrocities arrested in their 90’s who are unlikely to engage in a holocaust again but are still tried and convicted.

Cosby will undoubtedly change that ruling as well, removing “compassion” as a literal get out of jail free card

You can't beat the American justice system! 

I wonder if he was poor and not famous if they would think him "unlikely to re-offend"

27 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Do you think Bill Cosby is innocent and are you Kanye West

It is a fact that he is innocent. “Innocent” is a legal definition. 

as to whether the accusations against him are true, I don’t know. That is for a court to determine.

4 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

as to whether the accusations against him are true, I don’t know. That is for a court to determine.

tenor.gif

Do you personally think 60 women lied

19 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

BBC correspondent opened the piece saying that Bill Clinton had called a Pennsylvania jail his home for the last two years.

Huw Edwards with an absolutely mortified correction statement at the end of the segment.

I’ve not see Bill Clinton for a while. Was he sharing a cell with Cosby?

18 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

BBC report that the judgement is 75 pages long

I can’t be bothered reading all that in order to have an informed opinion 

Well done to all of you that have though

Quite.

3 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Is it, aye? Where did you get your law degree?

You're allowed an opinion. The court decides whether he should be locked up or not, but the rest of us are free to draw our own conclusions.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Is it, aye? Where did you get your law degree?

You're allowed an opinion. The court decides whether he should be locked up or not, but the rest of us are free to draw our own conclusions.

We aren’t allowed an opinion on his legal status. That is determined by the court. 

You were happy to accept the court’s verdict when it suited you, but not now. Funny that. 

I’ll share my credentials when you provide yours, as I asked.

2 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

We aren’t allowed an opinion on his legal status. That is determined by the court. 

You were happy to accept the court’s verdict when it suited you, but not now. Funny that. 

I’ll share my credentials when you provide yours, as I asked.

When did you ask me my credentials?

The court has not found that the judgment in the original trial was in any way flawed. They found that the trial should never have taken place because of an agreement between Cosby and the prosecutor. I'm not arguing that the court is wrong in this judgement, so your claim that I'm not happy to accept it is well wide of the mark.

The fact - not the legal finding - the fact of whether Cosby has assaulted women is one on which we are all free to form our own opinion. It looks to me like you'd rather not even think about it. I've never noticed you on this site before but from the tweets I've seen of yours today I'd say you have a pretty bad attitude to women.

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The court has not found that the judgment in the original trial was in any way flawed. They found that the trial should never have taken place because of an agreement between Cosby and the prosecutor. I'm not arguing that the court is wrong in this judgement, so your claim that I'm not happy to accept it is well wide of the mark.

The fact - not the legal finding - the fact of whether Cosby has assaulted women is one on which we are all free to form our own opinion. It looks to me like you'd rather not even think about it. I've never noticed you on this site before but from the tweets I've seen of yours today I'd say you have a pretty bad attitude to women.

You told me my viewpoint was wrong, on an entirely subjective point. What are your credentials?

The conviction has been overturned, and Cosby is now classed as an innocent person. You were happy to accept the verdict of the court previously. Why not now?

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Also, you have no right to defame me in the way that you just have. You are not qualified to judge me or to opine on my character in such a way. 

I agree that all are free to hold an opinion on whether Cosby assaulted women. I have my own view but it will remain private because I have not seen all of the evidence and neither have you. 

6 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Also, you have no right to defame me in the way that you just have. You are not qualified to judge me or to opine on my character in such a way. 

I agree that all are free to hold an opinion on whether Cosby assaulted women. I have my own view but it will remain private because I have not seen all of the evidence and neither have you. 

Yes I do.

If you don't like it, put me on ignore.