Golf Courses

Honest_Man#1

Courses that you’ve played over the years. Going to split this into two sections, best in terms of quality of course/test of golf & favourites for whatever reason.

Best/Toughest Courses:

1. Turnberry Ailsa

Course is just sensational. Really tough test, but such variety throughout the course it’s always interesting. The stretch from 4-11 must be one of the best in world golf. The par 3 from the Championship tees over the sea towards the lighthouse is probably the most scenic and impressive hole I’ve ever played.

2. Royal Dornoch

Phenomenal course very similar to Ailsa. Incredibly scenic with plenty of variety and maintained to Open Avenue standards. If the course was in a different location with a bit more infrastructure and more space for spectators it would have hosted The Open for sure.

3. Royal Birkdale

Not quite up to the standard of the two above, but really top quality course. When I played the bunkers let it down a little bit considering it’s price and supposed quality, but after a 13 (THIRTEEN) on the first I feared the worst. Then went on to play out of my skin and if not for the 13 would have probably had my best round ever so maybe that bumps it up in my mind.

4. Gleneagles Kings

Probably found it tougher than a couple of the ones above, but not as enjoyable. Clearly a quality course though.

5. Rockliffe Hall

The length can be a bit much, but definitely a solid test. A few really interesting holes as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it host championships down the line. Enjoy water hazards on a course and the signature hole par 3 green surrounded by water is a great hole.

Favourites:

1. Turnberry Ailsa

As above, it’s just phenomenal. I had a fairly poor score, but still loved every second of playing it, which for me shows how good a course is as usually I’d be seething and not enjoying it if I’m playing shite.

2. Brora

I throughly enjoyed Brora. Felt as if the layout and rugged nature of the course meant it would be similar to how golf has always been played there. The electric fences around the greens and wildlife kicking about added a quirkiness to the round, although I did feel fairly uncomfortable on 17 as the sheep were everywhere including all over the fairway at the exact distance I would typically hit to. Luckily avoided hitting one as that would have soured the round.

3. Royal Dornoch

As with Ailsa, played fairly poorly but still loved it. Great course.

4. Panmure

I loved this course. Nothing overly spectacular but just a very solid layout, maintained to a great standard. 

5. Royal Burgess

Where I play most of my golf so has to be in the list. I prefer links courses but for inland it’s immaculately maintained and a good enjoyable test of golf.

Honourable mentions to Gullane 2, Gleneagles Queens & Golspie which were all throughly enjoyable as well and was tough deciding between them and some of the above.

Some fine choices there. My five favourites for varying reasons are: 

1.  Loch Lomond - My uncle was an overseas member there who got me and my old man on as guests for my birthday back in 2000. We'd been out for a few drinks the night before and as the least hungover I had to drive from Kirriemuir through. f**k knows what the gatekeeper boy made of the three of us sitting in a shite F reg 205 GTI but he recognised my uncle and let us in. The course was absolutely stunning with barely a blade of grass out of place. I hadn't played for 6 months so was absolute shite, other than choosing the short Par 4 14th to absolutely nail a driver over the bog and onto the green, from where I ended up holing a 5 footer to save par. A truly amazing course and location. 
  2. Crail Balcomie - A brilliant wee links course which is under 6000 yards but a magnificent challenge in anything other than calm conditions. I've played here a few times and always really enjoyed it. The 4th and 5th are particularly brilliant holes with the north sea on the right hand side. Superb. 
  3. Panmure Barry - On a calm day I'd rate this as tougher than Carnoustie Championship, there's trouble on virtually every hole and the 3 finishing holes are class. 
  4. Rosemount - It's actually easier than it's sister course at Blairgowrie (Lansdowne) but far more fun to play. Classic heathland golf. 
  5. Letham Grange (Old) - A crying shame it's gone tits up there as LG was a brilliant golf course with some spectacular holes. It was a massive contrast to the Glens Course which was shorter but absolutely shite. 

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

1. Panmure Barry - On a calm day I'd rate this as tougher than Carnoustie Championship, there's trouble on virtually every hole and the 3 finishing holes are class. 
  2. Rosemount - It's actually easier than it's sister course at Blairgowrie (Lansdowne) but far more fun to play. Classic heathland golf.

I loved Panmure, but harder than Carnoustie?! Surely not? I found it fairly straightforward, although maybe just played the round of my life without realising.

Rosemount was close to my list too. Really good course.

43 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I loved Panmure, but harder than Carnoustie?! Surely not? I found it fairly straightforward, although maybe just played the round of my life without realising.

Rosemount was close to my list too. Really good course.

It depends on the conditions - in benign conditions I reckon Panmure is harder. When the rough's low at Carnoustie you can pretty much smash it anywhere, just avoid the bunkers. It's been years since I played Panmure but it had much more in the way of gorse, trees and cuntish bunkers. 

The hardest course I've ever played was Monifieth in a 36 hole open about a month after Open qualifying was held there in 1999. It was mental. Bone dry, fairways like concrete, knee high rough just off the fairway and greens like glass. There were guys off scratch and plus handicaps shooting high 80s and into the 90s 😂