Illusory Superiority on P&B

Illusory Superiority on P&B  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
31 minutes ago, NotThePars said:
Lot of nerd talk threatening to derail the thread so here’s some shots fired: there’s a coterie of posters, all definitely above 45 and balding, who’ve never read a book on the topics they pontificate about and are best described as “shooting from the hip” and “calling it like they see it” emoji106.png

Is that aimed at GD?

That would be "above 65" then.

I'm playing my hand. 
[mention=75884]TAFKAM[/mention] and [mention=74940]Detournement[/mention] are two of the smartest posters on here. 
[mention=68117]Bairnardo[/mention] and [mention=76539]Empty It[/mention] are two of the dumbest posters on here. 
From a guy that thinks it's okay to beat a woman as long as you make music? I'll wear this with a badge of honour.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Anybody frequenting the GN Forum will have noticed the presence of certain individuals who consistently appear to know everything better than most, regardless of the subject being discussed.  For me the Coronavirus thread is a fine example of the 'Dunning-Kruger Effect' (image below for those unaware of what I mean) / 'better-than-average effect' in action.  Throw some posters some stats from the news and... well, you know the rest. 

So how prevalent is it on here?  Are most posters guilty of it?  What are the finest examples of posters walking into their own graves you remember seeing?  

Finally, out of curiosity, I've added an anonymous poll to ask a single (perhaps over-generalised) question, just to see if the majority of posters deem themselves to be better than average, which I'm led to believe is usually the case in wider society.  I've purposely avoided a middle-of-the-road cop-out answer (and chances are you wouldn't be bang on average anyway).

image.png.ddd941bc92fa0c3e72e8be1a7fcd7c7b.png

The Covid thread is a case in point. A massive  echo chamber. 

Just now, Aim Here said:

Come on, this should never have been an anonymous poll. We want some point-and-laugh material...

Well, it was 2 for higher and 2 for lower towards the very start.  Then Stormzy made a post, and it was suddenly 3 for higher and 2 for lower.

Read into it what you will.

Pie and Bovril is like  the internet version of Lake Woebegon: where all the female posters are strong, all the male posters are good looking, and all the juniors forum posters are above average.

Edited by Savage Henry

19 minutes ago, Empty It said:
24 minutes ago, SANTAN said:
I'm playing my hand. 
[mention=75884]TAFKAM[/mention] and [mention=74940]Detournement[/mention] are two of the smartest posters on here. 
[mention=68117]Bairnardo[/mention] and [mention=76539]Empty It[/mention] are two of the dumbest posters on here. 

From a guy that thinks it's okay to beat a woman as long as you make music? I'll wear this with a badge of honour.

Quite an entrance to the thread as you literally display the startlingly poor comprehension that has given you such a title. 

Don't worry there's a few that are clearly ahead of yourself, with practice you might make it out of there in time. 

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that."

-  George Carlin

I try to only speak to people I know well. Rather typically, while we're away for a few days, she engaged another couple in conversation. I could feel the incredulous look on my face developing and changing from anger, to pity, to self pity.

I shouted at the woman, "shut up, you fūcking moron, I need to move" (in my head). I actually said, "It's getting a bit cold, we should move inside" .

I assume everyone is a complete idiot and I'm hardly ever wrong.