English Premier League 2021/22 Season

9 hours ago, Satoshi said:

English pundits used to think Rooney was a better player than Ibrahimovic.

A view that, as ridiculous as it was at the time, has aged even worse.

A staggering lack of self awareness.

Rooney was 100% a better player than Ibrahimovic in his prime. 

Think you could maybe credit him with applying himself a bit better and MAYBE carving out a more impressive career? But then as I type that am not actually sure what I have typed is what I even mean.

I dont have your conviction to go close to 100% in either direction tbh

Rooney v Ibrahimovic is a debate. Both had high peaks at elite clubs, but Rooney seemed to burn out quickly while Zlatan stayed longer.

Its a far closer discussion than Kane v Benzema anyway. Benzema has arguably been the best 9 of the past decade once you ignore the two freaks, with only Lewandowski coming close. Kane is a tier below both.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Think you could maybe credit him with applying himself a bit better and MAYBE carving out a more impressive career? But then as I type that am not actually sure what I have typed is what I even mean.

I dont have your conviction to go close to 100% in either direction tbh

Yeah that's fair. I dunno who's had the better career. I get that Ibra has played in a bunch of different leagues but Rooney tore up the EPL consistently in his prime. Was easily one of the best players in the world at the age of 18. I think he is second top scorer and also in the top 5 for assists. I suppose it's a little bit like the Ronaldo vs Messi arguments in some respects. I think Rooney was a lot more versatile. 

The EPL pundits definitely go overboard for English players but I feel like Rooney is a poor example. 

1 minute ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

The EPL pundits definitely go overboard for English players but I feel like Rooney is a poor example. 

I think a lot of folk go too far the other way with some English players and Rooney is talked down because of that. He was a genuine top tier striker for a multi-year spell in the best side on the planet.

Can't think of any current English player who's really close to his peak level just now.

Benzema has obviously had a better career but Kane will go down as a better striker once their careers end IMO. Better goals-per-game ratio playing in a much worse team and probably still has at least 5 years of his peak left.

Edited by Fraser Fyvie

53 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Did i say that? I said it wasn't a red.

The keeper's glove might have brushed his face. Not enough to roll about like he did.

Probably should have been a yellow for the keeper.

That’s big of you, considering you think the glove ‘might’ have brushed Diaz’ face and he’s a cheat. Maybe turn down whatever bias you’re applying and perhaps see what commentators, pundits, Walton and everyone else here saw? It was a red every day of the week.

3 minutes ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

That’s big of you, considering you think the glove ‘might’ have brushed Diaz’ face and he’s a cheat. Maybe turn down whatever bias you’re applying and perhaps see what commentators, pundits, Walton and everyone else here saw? It was a red every day of the week.

An appeal to the authority of Peter fucking Walton. 

Not a red because the foul was not endangering an opponent and the force was not excessive. Those are the criteria that have to be met for a red. Neither were met imo.

53 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Benzema has obviously had a better career but Kane will go down as a better striker once their careers end IMO. Better goals-per-game ratio playing in a much worse team and probably still has at least 5 years of his peak left.

Kane has major ankle injuries which will end his career before it should.

Benzema sacrificed years of his career to the altar of Ronaldo so his figures should be higher than they are. Common theme that a high Ronaldo goal tally = Low goal tallies for team mates in the past few years, at Madrid and Juventus.

It's not a debate to be had. Benzema is, and was, a far better player than Kane.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Rooney couldn't lace Ibrahimovic's boots.

I sometimes get the impression Rooney can't lace his own boots.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kane has major ankle injuries which will end his career before it should.

Benzema sacrificed years of his career to the altar of Ronaldo so his figures should be higher than they are. Common theme that a high Ronaldo goal tally = Low goal tallies for team mates in the past few years, at Madrid and Juventus.

It's not a debate to be had. Benzema is, and was, a far better player than Kane.

Nonsense to suggest Benzema is "far better" tbh. I'd say their finishing abilities are pretty similar, though Kane's passing and hold-up play is phenomenal and a different level to Benzema.

Edited by Fraser Fyvie

It certainly is worth a debate. For me Kane is technically the better player. The best player on the park against Man City a few weeks ago. Unfortunately for him he has played for an unsuccessful team his entire career while Benzema has had the privilege of playing with the worlds best . But Kane has 6 years on Benzama. A move to a successful team next season, a few trophies under his belt and I think he would be viewed as a player on par with Benzema. Kanes scoring record is already far superior at International level. 

11 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Nonsense to suggest Benzema is "far better" tbh. I'd say their finishing abilities are pretty similar, though Kane's passing and hold-up play is phenomenal and a different level to Benzema.

He is. He's performed at the top level for well over a decade and is one of just a few attackers who's survived long term at Real Madrid in the first team. 

Thisll sound absolutely stupid but players at properly elite clubs always look more average than they actually are, simply because there's so much quality around them. Kane can stand out for Tottenham on the ball because he's having to drop into midfield and spray it about because he's got Harry Winks behind him. Benzema doesn't need to do that so he doesn't, but it doesn't mean he can't. He's incredible on the ball and his ability to thread passes through blocks is unreal, he's also a great finisher so why have him threading balls through defences for others when you can have Modric setting him up?

You drop him into the Tottenham side and he runs the attack like Kane, but you get more consistency, smarter decisions, and a better all round striker.

Kane is very good and deserves a better club than Tottenham, but he's not as good as Benzema or Lewandowski.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:
If Real Madrid were offered a Kane for Benzama straight swap next season, they would bite Spurs hand off. 

That doesn't really mean anything in terms of prime for prime who was better though.

Sorry I didn't realise that was part of the debate. The discussion so far has been who is better right now? Kane might not even be at his prime yet. That could happen at Man City or another top tier club next season.