Afghanistan Crisis

13 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Even when Britain had the biggest naval force in the world we still pressed civilian cruise liners as troop transports and hospital ships.

In times of actual war, yes. War was never declared in this conflict. Which didn't stop the death toll being equivalent to almost half the population of the Islands. 

If Johnson and Biden want the Taliban to give them a bit more time at the Airport, they could discuss a timetable for releasing some of the billions of Afghan central bank funds they and the World Bank have frozen.

If Johnson and Biden want the Taliban to give them a bit more time at the Airport, they could discuss a timetable for releasing some of the billions of Afghan central bank funds they and the World Bank have frozen.
I wonder if there is a negotiator on either side, or indeed anywhere in the world reading this and going "Ahhhh.... Money. Why didn't we think of trying that?"

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I wonder if there is a negotiator on either side, or indeed anywhere in the world reading this and going "Ahhhh.... Money. Why didn't we think of trying that?"

I don't doubt they're considering it but keeping it very quiet. Obama got a load of stick for flying over crates of cash they owed Iran, and Britain still won't pay Iran the hundreds of millions they owe for tanks they sold in the 70s and never delivered, that's why Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is still in jail.

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

In times of actual war, yes. War was never declared in this conflict. Which didn't stop the death toll being equivalent to almost half the population of the Islands. 

You’re beyond clutching at straws here.  Because our ambassador to Argentina never delivered a piece of paper to the Argentinians saying “square go ya c***s” (or however these things are done) we shouldn’t have requisitioned ships from trade to help us win?

16 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You’re beyond clutching at straws here.  Because our ambassador to Argentina never delivered a piece of paper to the Argentinians saying “square go ya c***s” (or however these things are done) we shouldn’t have requisitioned ships from trade to help us win?

I’d have gone with “you’re all at sea here, just like the Belgrano” but this works too.

Nope. Because the "best armed forces in the world" didn't have the resources to see off an invasion of a tiny pair of islands without resorting to supplementing their equipment.
This was not a sustained war, it was a short (ten week) engagement, contained in one extremely limited area.

4 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Nope. Because the "best armed forces in the world" didn't have the resources to see off an invasion of a tiny pair of islands without resorting to supplementing their equipment.
This was not a sustained war, it was a short (ten week) engagement, contained in one extremely limited area.

On the other side of the world against an industrialised, British and French supplied, military dictatorship.

13 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Nae bother chief.  We should have had the military equivalent of the Canberra and the QE2 parked up in Southampton being fed and watered for decades at huge cost on the off-chance we might have to move a few thousand men to a remote island because a foreign nation needed a war to stop their military dictatorship falling apart.

You’ve chosen some hill to die on here.  You brought up the Falklands and have made an absolute rip-roaring c**t of yourself over it ever since.

I’ve got better things to do with my time than point out to an idiot how idiotic he is.  God knows which rabbit hole you’d be trying to take this down next.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Delicious that Daily Mail readers are realising that the British Army is really just a few glorified security guards.

Just waiting for them to find out the truth about Brexit.

No chance of that. Their attention will soon be drawn by Meghan and Harry or Chris Packham or Countryfile becoming 'Woke'.

On 22/08/2021 at 07:14, Ric said:

The good thing about Trump not being in power is, that, Trump is not in power.

The capricious orange c**t can whine all he wants, the biggest problem are the fucking idiots who swallow his nonsense.

It also means that Biden’s fan boys have someone to blame other than the senile, old fool.

13 hours ago, Left Back said:

Nae bother chief.  We should have had the military equivalent of the Canberra and the QE2 parked up in Southampton being fed and watered for decades at huge cost on the off-chance we might have to move a few thousand men to a remote island because a foreign nation needed a war to stop their military dictatorship falling apart.

You’ve chosen some hill to die on here.  You brought up the Falklands and have made an absolute rip-roaring c**t of yourself over it ever since.

I’ve got better things to do with my time than point out to an idiot how idiotic he is.  God knows which rabbit hole you’d be trying to take this down next.

My point, as blissfully ignored by those willing to score points here, is that there were (and indeed still are) Nations who had exactly this. My point is that the UK felt it had (and some feel it still has) a divine right to be at the top table in global politics, despite having the actual influence of, well, a country which had to immediately commandeer civilian resources when required to protect its own territory. 

No hill, no dying. Simply an attempt to get a point across. Sorry for trying to pitch the conversation at an adult level. 

12 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

WhiteRoseKillie has always been a complete and utter "yer da" on this forum. I'm just surprised it took him this long to get found out this time round.

Call it by whatever wee buzzphrase lets you think you're one of the cool gang, but I reckon having lived through those times (as an adult) rather than relying on a quick Google for information does actually give more insight. History, after all, is written by the victors. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

My point, as blissfully ignored by those willing to score points here, is that there were (and indeed still are) Nations who had exactly this. My point is that the UK felt it had (and some feel it still has) a divine right to be at the top table in global politics, despite having the actual influence of, well, a country which had to immediately commandeer civilian resources when required to protect its own territory. 

No hill, no dying. Simply an attempt to get a point across. Sorry for trying to pitch the conversation at an adult level. 

We go live to WhiteRoseKillie, Summa Cum Laude from the University of Life in the Class of Nineteen Canteen.

Kicking And Screaming Reaction GIF by MOODMAN