Businesses no longer accepting cash

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

One of the things I've noticed with the move to cards and not having cash is it's often difficult to leave tips. I wonder if bar staff have noted a drop off in the tips they get.

A bonus for the tight arses amongst us though. 

6 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

One of the things I've noticed with the move to cards and not having cash is it's often difficult to leave tips. I wonder if bar staff have noted a drop off in the tips they get.

Even if I pay for a meal by card I will always leave a tip in cash, except on the rare occasion that I won’t tip.

7 hours ago, Left Back said:

Not doubting the truth of this but how does anyone function without one?

Is there anyone that still gets a pay packet on a Friday thats an envelope full of cash?  Benefits get paid into a bank account as well these days I think.  Wasn’t there legislation a few years back to allow everyone a right to at least a no frills bank account regardless of credit history/income etc.

There will be some people living outside of what we would term normal society but I’m surprised it’s as many as a million adults.

Working mainly with clients on low incomes, you would be amazed at the number of people that didn't have accounts.  The Universal Credit rollout had to go alongside a campaign to open accounts to enable it to be paid.

I always could not believe the number of old folk that only had a post office account that they would get their pension paid into and make the weekly pilgrimage to withdraw the whole thing in cash.

2 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Working mainly with clients on low incomes, you would be amazed at the number of people that didn't have accounts.  The Universal Credit rollout had to go alongside a campaign to open accounts to enable it to be paid.

I always could not believe the number of old folk that only had a post office account that they would get their pension paid into and make the weekly pilgrimage to withdraw the whole thing in cash.

Our elderly neighbour had a post office account because he didn't trust banks...

9 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Went to Bergen a couple of years ago and the bars didn't take cash, but the card machine made it difficult not to leave one, like "are you absolutely sure you don't want to leave a tip?" At £10 a pint I wasn't keen.

9 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Generally the only places I've found that don't take cash are chip shops and Chinese takeaways and it's a right pain in the arse when you find out they don't.

But you already know that before you go, surely?

I come back to the basic point that if you're carrying  a wallet, a phone and a bank card surely to f**k you can squeeze in a tenner or twenty note just in case.  It won't self-destruct in 12 hours.  

Had a job as a teenager that involved having (it was legal, honest) tens of thousands of pounds at time. It was windy as f**k and occasionally wads of dosh would fly off, prompting the half-asleep security guys into action, tearing off across the fields in pursuit of the brown, pink and purple. Very trusting bosses to let a 14 y/o count and tally up so many notes. 

8 hours ago, Left Back said:

Not doubting the truth of this but how does anyone function without one?

Is there anyone that still gets a pay packet on a Friday thats an envelope full of cash?  Benefits get paid into a bank account as well these days I think.  Wasn’t there legislation a few years back to allow everyone a right to at least a no frills bank account regardless of credit history/income etc.

There will be some people living outside of what we would term normal society but I’m surprised it’s as many as a million adults.

I'd imagine quite a lot are married women whose husbands control the purse strings and dole out cash/write cheques when they deem it necessary/appropriate

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'd imagine quite a lot are married women whose husbands control the purse strings and dole out cash/write cheques when they deem it necessary/appropriate

We are the opposite. I’ve never had internet banking or anything like that.

31 minutes ago, hk blues said:

But you already know that before you go, surely?

I come back to the basic point that if you're carrying  a wallet, a phone and a bank card surely to f**k you can squeeze in a tenner or twenty note just in case.  It won't self-destruct in 12 hours.  

I didn't know that the first time it happened when I was at Piperdam at the end of the first lockdown and phoned a chinese one night. We'd gone over half a year being told that every place was card only so naturally didn't bother with cash. I had to nip to the ATM so no big drama, just surprise.

I don't carry a wallet because I have my phone and cards together. If you stick a lot of cash in the phone cover it gets hard to close. Just a 20 quid note is fine but 20 quid doesn't go very far.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

I didn't know that the first time it happened when I was at Piperdam at the end of the first lockdown and phoned a chinese one night. We'd gone over half a year being told that every place was card only so naturally didn't bother with cash. I had to nip to the ATM so no big drama, just surprise.

I don't carry a wallet because I have my phone and cards together. If you stick a lot of cash in the phone cover it gets hard to close. Just a 20 quid note is fine but 20 quid doesn't go very far.

I guess the card + cash brigade amongst us will never really understand the idea that some folk are unable to plan for an event that isn't necessarily that rare and can cause hassle we don't need and can so easily avoid by stuffing a few notes in our pocket. 

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

What do you do if you need change for parking or a shopping trolley? I suppose it's handy when approached by charities or beggars, and if you don't want to buy half time raffle tickets though.

15 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Over a million adults in the UK don’t have a bank account.

I have genuinely no idea how that's possible?

Do pensioners still get their pension in cash? Thought it would be paid into an account same with folk on the dole.

House husband's/ wives I guess might not need an account but can't imagine there are a million of them?

Cash only crims again doubt there are many only dealing in cash with no bank account for legit stuff.

And what else tradespeople who do work for cash? Although unless they have come up with an accounting system better than banks I doubt HMRC find out about all their income so you could file them in with the above.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

What do you do if you need change for parking or a shopping trolley? I suppose it's handy when approached by charities or beggars, and if you don't want to buy half time raffle tickets though.

All parking I've been to recently has a way of paying by card or phone. Was a bit of a faff in Perth when I had to phone the number on the ticket machine once but most have card payment.

I've got a token for trolleys.

Chuggers can f**k off and I offer to buy the beggar food, not give them money.

The half time draw at pittodrie is online.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

And what else tradespeople who do work for cash? Although unless they have come up with an accounting system better than banks I doubt HMRC find out about all their income so you could file them in with the above.

I know a plumber who'll come round and change a tap or whatever when he finishes work, usually for £20 or so. Why would he want the hassle of taking a cheque and having to queue up at the bank to pay it in? If I was him I'd double it to £40 odd.

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What if they ask for a large mixed kebab or something equally expensive, do you give them a limit?

I draw the line at Chateaubriand.

Mixed kebab would be fine. Luckily, I'm not a vegan or I'd lecture them on their diet and it's impact on their health and more importantly, the environment.

Edited by Suspect Device