Scotland squad name at October

Craigieboy86

My squad:

• Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly
  • O'Donnell, Patterson, Hendry, McTominay, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney, Cooper, Robertson, Hickey
  • Gilmour, Ferguson, McGregor, McLean, McGinn, Christie, Turnbull
  • Dykes, McBurnie, Adams, Fraser, Nisbet

Picked McBurnie as I feel we've missed having someone to bring on once Dykes inevitably gets knackered after an hour. Nisbet isn't really that guy, although I'd still have him in the squad in case we're chasing a game. I didn't really want to pick McBurnie but I still feel he is a better option than the alternatives, unless I'm ignoring someone. 

It was a toss-up between Doig and Hickey but considering neither will play, Hickey would be more interesting for Clarke to see how he does in our system in training. Doig's probably more of a natural wing-back but Hickey would have suited the last Faroe Islands game. 

I was tempted to pick Ramsay over Patterson but continuity and that. 

I'd like to see the squad look like this:

• Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly.
  • Hendry, Souttar, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney, Cooper.
  • O'Donnell, Patterson, Robertson, Hickey.
  • Gilmour, McTominay, McGregor, McLean, Ferguson.
  • McGinn, Gauld, Christie, Turnbull.
  • Dykes, Adams, Nisbet, Fraser.

No surprises really, though I thought Armstrong was injured?
24-man squad, McLaughlin and McTominay back in. 
No Forrest, Taylor or Gallagher.
Would have thought it was an opportunity to bring in someone new, however.

Only two games instead of three so can understand why the squad is smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very, very unsurprising squad.

It's interesting that despite all the debate on here about some of the promising players we do indeed have coming through that Clark is clearly a man who sees value in a settled and consistent squad.

I guess this throws down the gauntlet to some of those young lads that they'll need to really put a strong run together to get in. Which is what we want but Clark will need to make sure he gets the balance right.

A very, very unsurprising squad.
It's interesting that despite all the debate on here about some of the promising players we do indeed have coming through that Clark is clearly a man who sees value in a settled and consistent squad.
I guess this throws down the gauntlet to some of those young lads that they'll need to really put a strong run together to get in. Which is what we want but Clark will need to make sure he gets the balance right.
This. It's not exciting in the sense that there are no new names in there, but in another sense it is exciting to see a consistent (excepting covid and injury disruption), strong squad staying together window after window - we've largely lacked that for the few decades I've been watching Scotland.

It's a nice thing to have decent talent like Souttar, Hickey & Gauld having to work to force their way in, and for the squad to have a 'seasoned' feel about it despite being a fairly young average age and having some experienced players missing (Forrest, Marshall)

This. It's not exciting in the sense that there are no new names in there, but in another sense it is exciting to see a consistent (excepting covid and injury disruption), strong squad staying together window after window - we've largely lacked that for the few decades I've been watching Scotland.

It's a nice thing to have decent talent like Souttar, Hickey & Gauld having to work to force their way in, and for the squad to have a 'seasoned' feel about it despite being a fairly young average age and having some experienced players missing (Forrest, Marshall)

That’s a good point. Our squad had the fewest caps of any squad at the euros so it’s important that the core of our team keep playing together. Even now, we only have Robertson and Gordon on over 40 caps with McGinn, McGregor and Hanley in the 30s.

As good as Nisbet was last season he’s been utter guff this so far. Looks like he needs a break.

Yeah he’s verging into Shankland territory at the moment. Deserved his initial call-up but legitimate questions over whether he was a flash in the plan. Three goals in 13 games this season, against Andorran farmers, Championship Killie and a league goal against Livi.

I don’t think there’s any striker banging at the door to replace him, in fairness. The pool of McBurnie/Burke/Paterson/Shankland/Griffiths etc is uninspiring at best.

16 minutes ago, Paco said:

Yeah he’s verging into Shankland territory at the moment. Deserved his initial call-up but legitimate questions over whether he was a flash in the plan. Three goals in 13 games this season, against Andorran farmers, Championship Killie and a league goal against Livi.

I don’t think there’s any striker banging at the door to replace him, in fairness. The pool of McBurnie/Burke/Paterson/Shankland/Griffiths etc is uninspiring at best.

I looked up Shankland's stats in Belgium to see if he might do a Jack Hendry, but it isn't looking too great so far. His team are rock bottom (one point from 9 games!) He's only played in four of them, two as a sub, and hasn't scored. He was hooked after nine minutes in their last game because they had a defender sent off already.

Regarding Nisbet, Ross said at the weekend that he hasn't been training recently and they've been trying to manage him through games because he doesn't have many other options with Doidge out long-term.

Edited by JamesM82

Has Armstrong kicked a ball since the Euros? (You could also ask if he kicked a ball there). 

The only question for the Israel game is Cooper or McTominay in for Hanley? Given McTominay's struggles against Israel previously in defence and his potential to make a big impact in midfield off the bench I'd go Cooper. 

Faroes I'd bring in Turnbull for McGregor and possibly Paterson if he's fit. 

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

If Hickey holds down his place in the Bologna first team he should at least be in the squad !