Could you build a squad from this seasons other 10 and win the league.

33 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I was really just throwing names out there to get the thread started I’ve watched about 65 mins of Premeirship football in total this season.

Forgive me though for naming players like Brown, Watt and ignoring the stars of *checks league table* 8th placed St Mirren.

Being insecure of your arrogance shows this very much is a wind up thread.

Spoiler

*checks league table*

* sees no Kilmarnock there*

surprised-pikachu.png?1555780768

34 minutes ago, Ric said:

Being insecure of your arrogance shows this very much is a wind up thread.

Reveal hidden contents

*checks league table*

* sees no Kilmarnock there*

surprised-pikachu.png?1555780768

I’m not really too sure why you would think it’s a wind up thread. Maybe instead of just posting nonsense you could provide us with your own take on the top 16-18 players in the league and if you think they could challenge the old firm.

Or not, if you prefer.

5 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m not really too sure why you would think it’s a wind up thread. Maybe instead of just posting nonsense you could provide us with your own take on the top 16-18 players in the league and if you think they could challenge the old firm.

Or not, if you prefer.

More insecurity and projection. You're not dealing very well with people commenting on your shite selection when that seems to be the reason for the thread.

Just now, Ric said:

More insecurity and projection. You're not dealing very well with people commenting on your shite selection when that seems to be the reason for the thread.

The players I named would beat the players you named in a one off game I’m pretty certain of that.

Gordon and Zander Clark goalies 

Defence of Charlie Mulgrew, John Souttar, Shaun Rooney, Ryan Edwards, Josh Doig.

Midfield of McGrath, Benigname, Boyle, Lewis Ferguson Scott Brown Jeando Fuchs, Charlie Adam and some other c**t who can whip a ball in from the left. 

Up top Kevin Nisbet, Tony Watt, Christian Doige, Leigh Griffiths 

8 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Exactly.

..and in what way does that alter the fact you've chosen a mince midfield and attacker lineup, probably based on your club no longer being in this division and you making "educated" guesses on who is good.

Essentially you've just done what English journos do.

22 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Boyce would not stroll in to the Aberdeen team ahead of Ramirez.

Souttar, Baningime and Gordon were the only players that looked like they'd threaten our line up on Saturday.

We played shite on Saturday by all accounts.  I imagine Dundee fans wouldn't have fancied too many Aberdeen players after your game.

I think you'd struggle to put a team together that you'd fancy to win the league from the ten.  There's players in other teams that would improve Hearts, but not by an amount that would transform our team dramatically.

25 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

We played shite on Saturday by all accounts.  I imagine Dundee fans wouldn't have fancied too many Aberdeen players after your game.

I think you'd struggle to put a team together that you'd fancy to win the league from the ten.  There's players in other teams that would improve Hearts, but not by an amount that would transform our team dramatically.

Wouldn't agree with that tbh. A lot of Dundee fans would happily have most of the players in our squad and would assume there manager would do more with them than ours has.

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Wouldn't agree with that tbh. A lot of Dundee fans would happily have most of the players in our squad and would assume there manager would do more with them than ours has.

Define 'most'. There's definitely 5 or 6 we'd take but I wouldn't thank you for absolute jobbers like Woods, Gallagher, Devlin, Brown, Ojo, Bates, Jenks, Gurr or Longstaff. Even players like Hayes & McGinn are arguably just at Aberdeen out of a sense of loyalty rather than reflective of what they bring to the table now a days. 

So, Gordon, Ramsey, Souttar and Boyle are pretty unanimous stick ons. The rest are a case of player that I like/plays for my team is better than player who plays for a team I don't like.

It would take a bad year by both OF sides for a best of the rest squad to even get within 6 points of the title.

In fact, take away the 1st choice XI of both arse cheeks, would a Best of the Rest finish ahead of an OF reserve side ? (I'll assume Julien, Jack, Kent and Helander are 1st choices when fit)

McLaughlin / Barkas

Patterson / Ralston

Bassey / Taylor

Starfelt / Welsh / Balogun/ Simpson

Bacuna / Arfield / Lundstram / Bitton

Mccarthy / Soro

Johnson / Forrest / Wright / Barker

Roofe / Ajeti

A bit light at centre back tbf.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Boyce would not stroll in to the Aberdeen team ahead of Ramirez.

I've not seen enough of Ramirez to fairly judge, but from what I have seen he seems fairly pointless without support as he can't hold the ball up. I think Boyce can play well without support.

It's easy to look at the league table and see Hearts and Dundee utd are the best of the rest, for me best defenders come from St mirren and St johnstone and maybe Hearts and Dundee utd.
Midfielders are very much down to opinion, if your looking for a DM Brown is the only choice,for a wee bit more Baningime is the choice,for a player to control the tempo and create Campbell is a better player than Ferguson so none of them get in, i like Newell but is he good enough.
It was easy to see Turnbull's quality duz the league have somebody just as good I don't think so.
Strikers Ramirez looks the pick if you're looking for 2 Nisbet is the best plus Boyle gives you pace.

18 hours ago, gudge1903 said:

Baningime and Boyce wouldn't make it into an AFC team ahead of Brown and Watkins or Ramirez. Strange even trying to even suggest otherwise. I'm sure league table will show conclusively in May for any doubters.

Running out of steam after the first quarter of a season and found out after the "surprise package" bit has worn off. Always the same story with their scattergun signing policy and collection of misfits they collect. 

Gordon makes that team look a lot better than it is. Could have been 5 for AFC** not in top gear yet. Best keeper in league.

Classic overreaction to one or two results post here.

Our recruitment set-up and approach is completely different to before, so that comparison to previous seasons doesn't really ring true. As for scattergun, Aberdeen signed about twice as many new players as we did this summer and look sure to have a worse hit rate than us.

What does a team "not in top gear yet" mean by the way? How is a team "not in top gear yet" distinguishable from a team that is in top gear but just isn't that good? Did you think "I can't wait for this team to reach top gear" earlier in the season just before they started getting pumped every week? And as good as Gordon's save from Ramirez was, it would have been some achievement for Aberdeen to score 5 from 5 on target with any keeper in there.

For the avoidance of doubt, we were horrific on Saturday and were well beaten. If that was an indication of how we'll play for the rest of the season then we will plummet down the table. There's been no other indication of that though, especially since August, and our performances have generally been good even when results haven't. Either way, we might still finish behind Aberdeen because they've got a decent squad and we struggle to kill teams off when we're on top.

As for the question in the OP - probably not. The lack of a standout striker would probably be the biggest problem.