Seeding

Tartan Dave

2 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Are we likely to be second seeds for the next euro qualifiers? Or world cup? 

Euro qualifiers are determined by UEFA Nations League standings.  We would need to win our NL group to become a second seed.  It is most likely that we will be a 3rd seed.

Assuming that the Euros playoffs operate in a similar manner as previous, we'd be highly likely to have a playoff spot from the NL by virtue of being in Group B.

The NL draw is in December.

So top 2 seeding pots will be 16 League A teams plus 4 League B winners? 32 teams between League A and B, 20 automatic qualifiers so all league A and B teams are guaranteed a playoff at worst? Since I think they've ditched the pathway route to qualification, so the 12 playoff teams are just the 12 highest ranked? 

On 16/11/2021 at 12:58, Virtual Insanity said:

So top 2 seeding pots will be 16 League A teams plus 4 League B winners? 32 teams between League A and B, 20 automatic qualifiers so all league A and B teams are guaranteed a playoff at worst? Since I think they've ditched the pathway route to qualification, so the 12 playoff teams are just the 12 highest ranked? 

They've kept the pathway route to qualification, they didn't have it for the World cup due to fewer spots being available. The only difference with Euro 2020 is that there is no pathway for League D, but there are only 7 left in D now so that's understandable. There are 3 different pathways now.

By the time WC qualifying comes round, aren't we up to something like 453 teams in the main tournament anyway?  Qualifying will likely change again (although probably unlikely to affect pots, as I expect we'll just get the usual 10 groups of 5 or 6).

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

UEFA will get 16 slots at the next World Cup, so I'd assume the format will be exactly the same as this one but with 6 play-off finals over two legs.

The other option is that they have 24 playoff slots, say all second and third places plus 4 from the nations league. 

I agree they're unlikely to change given the system kind of just works but with one round instead of two in the playoffs, but I'd like to see them involve more sides in the playoffs to give a bit more to play for.  But then having said that, this campaign seemed like there was a lot more to play for going into the final games than there has been in the past, so probably doesn't need touched.

Just now, craigkillie said:

That seems incredibly unlikely given that they already have a perfectly workable system.

I just think they seem to like these 4 team knockout paths with single games over two leg playoffs these days.

Out of interest if they had 16 slots this time and did that, all second placed teams would be seeded as would Czech Republic and Norway as the pick of the third placed sides.

The remaining eight third placed teams would be unseeded, namely: Albania, Greece, Finland, both Irelands, Romania, Slovakia and from our group, Israel.

There would be four UNL slots instead of two. Austria would continue to occupy one of them, but since Czech Republic would already be in the playoffs there would be three left. They would go to Hungary, Slovenia and Montenegro.