Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

Nice extra bit from John McGinn about the chance he missed against Ukraine.

I promised I wouldn’t watch it again but I woke up the next morning and then had to watch it back. In that split second you don’t see the other side, you make a decision at the time and it was the wrong one. Looking back and analysing it, analysing it in detail, it’s easy to say I should have gone to the other side.

The disappointing thing for me in my Scotland career is that it’s always the easier ones I seem to miss. I score the more challenging ones, so I have to practice those moments and don’t be so keen to score. I remember looking up at the ball and seeing their goalkeeper and a defender moving the other way. I tried to be too precise with it and paid the price for it. After it, the boys were saying ‘why is it all the difficult ones you score?’ and I was like, cheers lads. It’s not as if I’ve not been thinking about it every day.

You can sit and dwell on it but you can also take it the other way. Steven Naismith was brilliant with me. He was quick to remind me we might not have been in the play-off if it wasn’t for some of my contributions. When I put it into perspective, I wasn’t too bad and it’s about getting back onto the horse and trying to help the team again. Reflect is probably the wrong word because I was hurting – and hurting badly. That’s part of learning and being a player, you make a decision in a split second. On this occasion it was the wrong one and it will probably live with me for a long, long time, but you can either dwell on it, keep looking at it and keep thinking what you could have changed. Or you can go out and try to score nineteen times like I did against Armenia on Wednesday, trying to avenge it.

It didn’t work on Wednesday but I will do the exact same thing on Saturday. My goal return for Scotland has been pretty good so I am keen to add to it, I’m sure a chance will come and I need to take it. Don’t think about what’s happening next and focus on the moment. It still hurts me the same way it hurts everyone else in the country. It was a really disappointing night for me and for everyone but it’s one we are really keen to avenge. Even if it does take two years or four years, it’s one we will definitely do.

John McGinn

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/aston-villas-john-mcginn-opens-up-on-why-he-broke-scotland-promise-he-made-to-himself-3727724