Cove vs Alloa 18.12.2021

Cove, on a run of 1 defeat in their last 17 in all competitions, welcome the Wasps to Balmoral on Saturday. That run includes 7 clean sheets in the last 10, 26 goals for and 6 conceded. All good runs must come to an end; will it be this weekend?

Alloa's nice run of wins against QP and Airdrie and draws against Falkirk and Montrose has frustratingly been undone somewhat with 1 point in their last 3 games. Having watched the highlights of the last game it seems a plethora of chances created but one of those days when it wouldn't hit the net.

Cove have improved since our last meeting, which was tarnished to a large degree by Senna's challenge in the first minute which resulted in Alloa playing the rest of the game with 10 men. Even then Alloa levelled and Cawley's effort almost put them in the lead shortly after. 

Will be a good contest this weekend. Looking forward to seeing Henderson play. Is he due to go back to Hearts in Jan? 

10 goals in about as many games I'm sure Hearts will be tracking his progress very closely and many other clubs will be inquiring about his services. For the Wasps sake I hope he stays although I'd take him at Balmoral in a heartbeat.

My personal opinion is that we won't keep Ola beyond December and instead try to strengthen our top line by bringing in a high calibre of player to challenge Rory and Mitch. 

We could be missing Shay Logan after he got a straight red in the 94th minute against Falkirk for a "rude gesture" although allegedly he signalled 3-0 to the home fans. Might be rescinded but if not Scott Ross will cover RB.

The weather is even looking benign at 6 degrees, dry and no wind. Let's hope it stays that way and both sets of fans see an entertaining game.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Fear the worst here. Hopefully have Trouten back in contention as he has been missing last few weeks. However, as mentioned above, the form guide points to only one winner. 

We do tend to up our game against the better teams in the league, so it wouldn't surprise me after losing against Dumbarton and Clyde, we go up and get a result. We are a funny, very inconsistent team this season. I do not hold too much hope though. Something just not ticking. 

Unsure if Hearts will recall Henderson, as great as his goalscoring has been, I don't think he is the answer to Heart's striker depth problems as they challenge for 3rd in the league. I hope we do keep him, we do need to find a system or tactic that doesn't leave him totally ineffective like Clyde. 

Keeping 11 on the park remains an objective every week, need that to make Saturday competitive. Thought the defence was fine on Saturday and would keep the same. Wouldn't be opposed to King coming back into midfield, thought he was unlucky to be dropped. 

Anyways, if it does go catastrophically wrong, I'm looking forward to my first trip up to Cove. Have booked the hospitality so straight to the bar if we end up getting pumped and men sent off!

20 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Fear the worst here. Hopefully have Trouten back in contention as he has been missing last few weeks. However, as mentioned above, the form guide points to only one winner. 

We do tend to up our game against the better teams in the league, so it wouldn't surprise me after losing against Dumbarton and Clyde, we go up and get a result. We are a funny, very inconsistent team this season. I do not hold too much hope though. Something just not ticking. 

Unsure if Hearts will recall Henderson, as great as his goalscoring has been, I don't think he is the answer to Heart's striker depth problems as they challenge for 3rd in the league. I hope we do keep him, we do need to find a system or tactic that doesn't leave him totally ineffective like Clyde. 

Keeping 11 on the park remains an objective every week, need that to make Saturday competitive. Thought the defence was fine on Saturday and would keep the same. Wouldn't be opposed to King coming back into midfield, thought he was unlucky to be dropped. 

Anyways, if it does go catastrophically wrong, I'm looking forward to my first trip up to Cove. Have booked the hospitality so straight to the bar if we end up getting pumped and men sent off!

Trouten will add something different to the side and will be a danger. He's proven and clearly Scougall and Cawley have quality. I see Mendy has missed the last few which is probably a blessing for many Wasps fans. He looked a bit shaky at the back when I've seen him so far this season. Big Andy Graham and Durnan or Howie probably the better/best option in CB position.

Henderson, I thought like probably many others, might be attracting some attention from a few Championship clubs.  If playing alongside a target man such as Rory I think he could score a ton at this level.

Over the last couple of months we've managed to start our best XI or close to it. Our defence is looking stronger and with Shay and Milne we have got solid wing backs. Yule and Masson on the midfield flanks are doing well, especially Blair, and as of late Vigurs and Fyvie have been impressing. 

Rory outscoring Mitch I didn't quite expect but the latter is jointed top with assists in the league so he's doing more than his bit.

Enjoy the hospitality. Cattle class for me, as usual!

No way i see us winning this , best case scenario sneak a draw 

an all too predictable pattern has emerged in the way we play which does not work,  simple as that ,

I was going to go to this game having  never been to Cove but i am having second thoughts now

i fear  a drubbing , Of course this depends on how the alloa players react but  i feel BF will lose the players/dressing room as they say now very soon .. he is the best manager in scotland in his own mind it seems .

Edited by Vegetableman

More importantly, and I'm sure Cove fans have probably answered this 100 times, but what's the situation with pubs etc near the ground.

Last time we were up for a pre season friendly (2012 I think) it was the old ground with the brilliant social club- assume that ship has sailed?

Don't see too many pubs in close proximity- Wellington Hotel? 

Any tips/feedback appreciated.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

25 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

More importantly, and I'm sure Cove fans have probably answered this 100 times, but what's the situation with pubs etc near the ground.

Last time we were up for a pre season friendly (2012 I think) it was the old ground with the brilliant social club- assume that ship has sailed?

Don't see too many pubs in close proximity- Wellington Hotel? 

Any tips/feedback appreciated.

Been asked a few times but always happy to say our Fanzone is the best shout. In the ground, albeit it's a glorified cabin but does the job.

If you're looking for external to the ground then there is very little quality within a 2 miles radius. More like restaurants with bars in them rather than pubs. Wellington being the closest and within walking distance.

Aberdeen city centre is the better choice then bus or taxi thereafter which is far from ideal admittedly.

14 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Been asked a few times but always happy to say our Fanzone is the best shout. In the ground, albeit it's a glorified cabin but does the job.

If you're looking for external to the ground then there is very little quality within a 2 miles radius. More like restaurants with bars in them rather than pubs. Wellington being the closest and within walking distance.

Aberdeen city centre is the better choice then bus or taxi thereafter which is far from ideal admittedly.

Terrific mate, thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, resk said:

I'm going to head up to this one, first time at Balmoral since a 5-2 win v. East Fife at the start of the season - more of the same, please!  

Nice crisp winter day with no wind so should make for an entertaining game. I fancy some goals in this game; not sure we'll see 7 like your last time at Balmoral but who knows! 

Wasps have a strong centre defence in Durnan, Howie, Graham. I like Taggart at RB. Hopefully Rory starts as he'll be needed to win some aerial balls / hold it up and allow Mitch to get knock downs.

Should see Masson back in the starting lineup ahead of Harry.

3 minutes ago, Dink said:

Terrible coverage from Cove TV with pixellot, and a terrible performance from Alloa. There's no doubt that Barry Ferguson is taking us into a relegation battle.

I think we're already in it. The guy is a bombscare and should be limited to talking pish about Sevco.

If he had another brain, it would be lonely 😱

Predictable result (was for me anyway ) 

the confidence is seeping from the players week by week , i remember BF saying when he took over this team is too used to losing ,

Looks like they are back in the habit , So much for your quotes eh Barry ?

3 more games and if nothing changes he must go (and Boab as well mind ) 

Looks to me like he really is losing the players too . they will want a change in their own minds .

Arbroath top of the championship , well done them ! .

Edited by Vegetableman