Motherwell v St. Johnstone - 18th December 2021

So basically, winning two cups in the one season is to be avoided, as it only leads to a shitstorm a few months down the road...?!  [emoji848]
Probably more to do with selling your captain and a generational talent for buttons an hour or so before the transfer deadline and having no meaningful mitigation for the impact on team/system.

Thought we were rubbish again today, which came as no great surprise. From when he decided to play 5-2-3, we had literally 5 players to pick from for those front three positions:

• May can't play as a lone striker, never has and never will. First half his whole tactic seemed to involve running behind their centre backs simply hoping they'd miss a ball that was landing right on their head.
  • Solomon-Otabor had never started a match for the club. 
  • Middleton has been an absolute flop. A couple of huge moments last season glossed over fact he didn't play particularly well. Not been helped by having to play as a striker at times but even in his own position as a winger, he's been crap. Thought he hid today as well, was actively trying to avoid being in areas where he could take a pass. 
  • O'Halloran hasn't got a grip on the front three system at all since it was introduced. So often the football looks like it's something he's never seen before. 
  • Crawford's main failings are probably defensive, which shouldn't be an issue for an attacking player but there is so much emphasis on that in our system. Along with Middleton, O'Halloran and May he is physically weak, a total contrast to Watt, Woolery, van Veen and Shields.

The absolute negligence of improving our attacking options this summer is inexcusable.

The game was the very epitome of a team not needing to get out of first gear to cruise to three easy points.

Saints are in big trouble and the manger needs to make changes NOW.

56 minutes ago, Radford said:

The absolute negligence of improving our attacking options this summer is inexcusable.

I don’t think this can be stressed enough. The lowest home scorers in our history so we go into the following season with even fewer options.

I’d still love to hear an explanation for it. I’m convinced the manager just thought we did so well last season that we’ll be fine again.  Unbelievable complacency or naivety.

The whole squad is obviously underperforming massively, but I think the club also let a lot of last seasons players down.  They had a right to expect a few better players would be brought in to push us on, to provide competition and to raise everyone’s standards.

Instead our inactivity has brought a bit of stagnation, and possibly even demotivation.

A pretty routine win for The ‘Well yesterday. I thought we’re were decent for the most part, but we didn’t have to be any better than that to take a comfortable 3 points. I thought Donnelly, Goss and Big Handsome Sol were particularly good.
St Johnstone though, deary me. Without trying to wind anyone up, if that first half was one of the better recent performances as some posters have said then that is worrying. The heads dropped as soon as we scored the first, and they couldn’t even muster the enthusiasm to at least get stuck in to some tackles and kick someone in the second half which we saw out very comfortably.
A huge January coming up for you guys.

I had the fear about today. Generally in the last decade St Johnstone have been a right pain to play, especially at Fir Park.
And as an unbiased view I actually thought they were OK 1st half. Had a lot of possession and a lot of that was in and around our box. There were times where a bit of luck would have presented an easy chance or tap in. We got lucky on a few occasions. 
I never actually thought we played that well up until the 2nd goal went in and we relaxed and started to play some decent football. By that time there was no way back for St Johnstone and it was easy to see why they are bottom and struggling to score goals.
We play Livi, Ross C and St Mirren next and you know they will ALL be tougher games. That is the worry for St Johnstone. 

Pretty much how I would have summed it up - thanks for saving me from typing it out. I don't have any real gripe with St. Johnstone (there are other teams I'd much rather go down) so this isn't meant as a dig, they were tidy enough at times but just seemed severely lacking up front. They liked a bit of punt and chase or long diagonals and it caused us a few worrying moments but we adjusted, got to grips with it and they strangely persevered when it wasn't working. The difference in guile in the forward lines was striking (no pun intended) and probably explains the difference in league positions.