Omicron impact

59 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Can I ask if Scotland goes back into lockdown. What was the point of vacccination?

I'll try and lay this out as simply as I can...

Probably because this new variant is up to 4 times more infectious than Delta.

Case numbers in England are about to go crazy and Scotland won't be far behind.

That will almost inevitably lead to a huge spike in hospitalisations and deaths (even if Omicron is less severe than Delta) over the next couple of weeks.

NHS capacity is limited and they have an absolutely massive amount of shit to deal with over winter each year even without Covid patients. And for every hospital ward that has to be opened for Covid patients, is one less ward that is available to treat people for something else. We simply don't have an infinite supply of beds or medical staff. This is why, unfortunately, more restrictions may be required.

The WHO estimates that the vaccine has saved over 100,000 lives in Britain alone over the last 12 months.

H2H

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

32 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'll try and lay this out as simply as I can...

Probably because this new variant is up to 4 times more infectious than Delta.

Case numbers in England are about to go crazy and Scotland won't be far behind.

That will almost inevitably lead to a huge spike in hospitalisations and deaths (even if Omicron is less severe than Delta) over the next couple of weeks.

NHS capacity is limited and they have an absolutely massive amount of shit to deal with over winter each year even without Covid patients. And for every hospital ward that has to be opened for Covid patients, is one less ward that is available to treat people for something else. We simply don't have an infinite supply of beds or medical staff. This is why, unfortunately, more restrictions may be required.

The WHO estimates that the vaccine has saved over 100,000 lives in Britain alone over the last 12 months.

H2H

So basically people got jabbed for nothing then? I believe the founder of moronic in SA said there is nothing to worry about!

Edited by TheBigGuy

Devolved administrations are in a corner. Clear that Scotland and Wales want to go further on the scientific advice they’ve received, but can’t. Can’t restrict entire sectors of the economy without the appropriate economic levers being pulled. Johnson isn’t doing it and he isn’t handing over the levers either.

That leaves both devolved governments with two unpalatable options, they either say “we don’t think this is really safe, but we can’t afford to enforce multi-sector restrictions within the current economic framework, you can stay open but we’re encouraging people not to go” or “we are imposing restrictions, here’s £1.50 from what we’ve cobbled together from the existing budgetary framework. Good luck.” 

It’s potentially problematic for clubs if the UK government doesn’t move on this. I suspect they will eventually, but it’ll be kicking and screaming stuff.

Edited by an86

12 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

We simply don't have an infinite supply of beds or medical staff. 

Where is the huge spike in South Africa's hospitalisations and deaths? The number has risen for hospitalisations, but not hugely and the patients require less time in hospital and less are dying. 

We've had 30-odd people in ICU for weeks now. We have 585 ICU beds available. Everyone has had two vaccines at least and there are new treatments coming available all the time. There is no need for anyone to panic right now.

10 hours ago, WBR said:

Profit

Just before the COVID kicked off, Montrose got a visitor, HRH Prince of Andrew.

So the primary school bairns were taken out of class to cheer him (I wouldnt let him near the bairns) he stopped and spoke to some dignitary for 45 seconds, then straight down to the Glaxo Pharmaceutical plant for a 4 hour meeting!

Profit

24 minutes ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Just before the COVID kicked off, Montrose got a visitor, HRH Prince of Andrew.

So the primary school bairns were taken out of class to cheer him (I wouldnt let him near the bairns) he stopped and spoke to some dignitary for 45 seconds, then straight down to the Glaxo Pharmaceutical plant for a 4 hour meeting!

Profit

Better that than him spending 4 hours in a primary school tbf.

Every club is going to have outbreaks between now and the end of the season but I reckon, as has been the case so far, their games will be called off and rearranged. Just as if they had been called off by the weather. Might lead to some weekends with no games on; but that wouldn't have been unusual a decade or so ago, before almost everyone had astro pitches.

With the speed that Omicron spreads you'll probably be looking at a situation where the majority of the population have had it in a month's time or so. South Africa's cases have shown a sharp rise, early peak, and then fall. I don't see any reason why we won't follow - especially given we have a considerably higher vaccination percentage, including the most vulnerable all pretty much being boosted.

If football is stopped for "a two week circuit breaker" then I wouldn't expect the season to restart for our level until March at the earliest. And I'm not sure the clubs (or players) will fancy another Spring of games Sat-Tue-Thu-Sat again.

Got my booster jag yesterday and hopefully, if that continues, we can help avoid excess strain on an already close to capacity NHS and manage to get through this without a shutdown. 

If that doesn't work out and the NHS starts to get overwhelmed, then football will have to take its rightful place in terms of societal priorities. 

In such circumstances, instead of a break then restart of any kind, the most sensible thing to do is declare the leagues on the basis of alphabetical order.

I'd even arrange playoffs for the spring before starting the new season as scheduled in the late summer. 

I think we can all get behind that, should circumstances dictate a stop in play. 

Got my booster jag yesterday and hopefully, if that continues, we can help avoid excess strain on an already close to capacity NHS and manage to get through this without a shutdown. 
If that doesn't work out and the NHS starts to get overwhelmed, then football will have to take its rightful place in terms of societal priorities. 
In such circumstances, instead of a break then restart of any kind, the most sensible thing to do is declare the leagues on the basis of alphabetical order.
I'd even arrange playoffs for the spring before starting the new season as scheduled in the late summer. 
I think we can all get behind that, should circumstances dictate a stop in play. 

Just to let you know we renamed ourselves Abysmal FC this morning, so I’m right behind you on this one.

17 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

Brilliant we need an apartheid society. Based on a 99.8 survival rate.

I see you haven't quoted your source for that statistic, but even if the survival rate WAS 99.8% (which it isn't), that means 2 out of 1000 people infected with Covid-19 die. Say the vaccine didn't exist and there was an outbreak at a 50,000 seater stadium and 10% of people became infected - that means 10 people in attendance at that game would die of Covid-19 directly. That's acceptable to you?

You're definitely one comment away from comparing vaccine's to seatbelts aren't you?

Edited by Brian Carrigan

19 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I see you haven't quoted your source for that statistic, but even if the survival rate WAS 99.8% (which it isn't), that means 2 out of 1000 people infected with Covid-19 die. Say the vaccine didn't exist and there was an outbreak at a 50,000 seater stadium and 10% of people became infected - that means 10 people in attendance at that game would die of Covid-19 directly. That's acceptable to you?

You're definitely one comment away from comparing vaccine's to seatbelts aren't you?

I believe in freedom, liberty, love and joy. Maybe you secretly enjoy your freedom being taken away. I am pretty sure we will not be getting it back anytime soon.

You keep the country open but that is just my own view based on the stats below. 

How many people are even directly dying of covid 19 or WITH it?

AD80E3CD-691F-4358-B6A5-ED60028C803A.png

Edited by TheBigGuy

8 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Outbreaks can't occur at football matches, mate. Such events only last a couple of hours & are mainly outdoors.