Omicron impact

31 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Got my booster jag yesterday and hopefully, if that continues, we can help avoid excess strain on an already close to capacity NHS and manage to get through this without a shutdown. 

We've got about 13,000 beds in Scottish hospitals, ICU included. There are currently just shy of 600 people using these beds who have COVID. I can't find the figure online as COVID dominates the news, but I'm not sure we've got another 12,000 people laid up in hospital on top of that right now. 

There is absolutely no reason for Scottish football (or any other industry) to be shut down.

I believe in freedom, liberty, love and joy. Maybe you secretly enjoy your freedom being taken away. I am pretty sure we will not be getting it back anytime soon.
You keep the country open but that is just my own view based on the stats below. 
How many people are even directly dying of covid 19 or WITH it?

AD80E3CD-691F-4358-B6A5-ED60028C803A.thumb.png.7ffd07ef15f3b480e36f276736107fb4.png

Maybe you hadn’t noticed the even worse than you stated 99,5% survival rate for those over 50?…
And honestly, what freedoms are really being taken away at the moment?
Appreciate that you think your ability to go to the pub and not have to be asked to confirm that you have been vaccinated is more important to you than the lives of the 70+ year old fellow drinkers in the same pub…..

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

We've got about 13,000 beds in Scottish hospitals, ICU included. There are currently just shy of 600 people using these beds who have COVID. I can't find the figure online as COVID dominates the news, but I'm not sure we've got another 12,000 people laid up in hospital on top of that right now. 

There is absolutely no reason for Scottish football (or any other industry) to be shut down.

Sigh. 

I was building up to a cheap joke about alphabetical order, mate, just you calm yer ham. 

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Maybe you hadn’t noticed the even worse than you stated 99,5% survival rate for those over 50?…
And honestly, what freedoms are really being taken away at the moment?
Appreciate that you think your ability to go to the pub and not have to be asked to confirm that you have been vaccinated is more important to you than the lives of the 70+ year old fellow drinkers in the same pub…..

Well yes I do believe we are more susceptible to illness as we get older. It is a fact of life sadly. 

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Well said imo.

Matter of fact, there’s about to be absolutely loads of games called off for the next maybe 3–4 weeks. Whether the authorities can survive the moon howlers screaming “call ra leagues offff!” despite infinite time to rearrange (I remember when falkirk didn’t play for a literal month and a half because of snow about a decade ago) is another question. 

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

Outbreaks can't occur at football matches, mate. Such events only last a couple of hours & are mainly outdoors.

I see Falkirk's footballing predicament has been chipping away at those brain cells.

For starters - the situation I was describing was completely hypothetical, to illustrate the point that even if the survival rate was 99.8% (Again, it isn't), that still isn't great odds given how readily the virus spreads among unvaccinated populations. It's good to see that went completely over your head.

Secondly, if the above event WASN'T hypothetical, an outbreak can still occur. Given that if the game was a sell out at CP/Ibrox/Hampden you'd have many people using public transport, gathering in pubs etc that still allows the transmission of viruses in environments around the game. Being outside whilst crammed into a relatively small space doesn't stop the spread of viruses within the venue either. Those situations in concert absolutely have the potential to turn into a superspreader event.

Finally - I am not advocating for the closure of stadiums in Scotland. As a Clyde fan we can easily fit home and away support adequately spaced even if social distancing is reintroduced. It's just a lot of points being brought up here are completely and utterly irresponsible, stupid and almost malicious.

NB. I have a background in virology. I'm not the person to argue with over this.

2 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

AD80E3CD-691F-4358-B6A5-ED60028C803A.png

Also - a screenshot of a Fox News (!!!) graphic isn't a 'source'. Fox News have quoted their source as being "CDC", despite the information depicted being misinterpreted (Fox News classic) and based on US-only data (you don't live there).

I understand that you don't understand, but you need to be open to the fact that you don't understand in order to understand, understand?

13 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I see Falkirk's footballing predicament has been chipping away at those brain cells.

For starters - the situation I was describing was completely hypothetical, to illustrate the point that even if the survival rate was 99.8% (Again, it isn't), that still isn't great odds given how readily the virus spreads among unvaccinated populations. It's good to see that went completely over your head.

Secondly, if the above event WASN'T hypothetical, an outbreak can still occur. Given that if the game was a sell out at CP/Ibrox/Hampden you'd have many people using public transport, gathering in pubs etc that still allows the transmission of viruses in environments around the game. Being outside whilst crammed into a relatively small space doesn't stop the spread of viruses within the venue either. Those situations in concert absolutely have the potential to turn into a superspreader event.

Finally - I am not advocating for the closure of stadiums in Scotland. As a Clyde fan we can easily fit home and away support adequately spaced even if social distancing is reintroduced. It's just a lot of points being brought up here are completely and utterly irresponsible, stupid and almost malicious.

NB. I have a background in virology. I'm not the person to argue with over this.

Your (utterly pointless, shan & knickerwetting) scenario was based on an outbreak occurring "at a 50 000 seater stadium". No idea why you're now adding caveats but I'm glad your virology career is now in the background (although I think you'd well as a current SG adviser). 

Enjoy your weekend.

23 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Or conversely just allow people to go and live their lives post pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I understand that you don't understand, but you need to be open to the fact that you don't understand in order to understand, understand?

Excuse me?

Edited by TheBigGuy

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

(I remember when falkirk didn’t play for a literal month and a half because of snow about a decade ago)

10/11 season? We went from 13th November - 15th January without a game that year :lol: 

5 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

10/11 season? We went from 13th November - 15th January without a game that year :lol: 

Aye that’s the one. 

Just looked it up, we went 13 november - 29 December with zero games. That’s why everyone crying over a couple of weeks of postponed games does my head in. 

2 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Well that is up to you as an individual. I am not living my life in fear and nor are most people I come across.

To be fair, you pretending that the world is now post pandemic doesn't actually mean the world is post pandemic. 

You can chose to ignore it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. 

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

No one should be living in fear, but a few precautions to avoid infecting others shouldn’t really be too much to ask should it?…

What a full lockdown? Or a two tier society based on 99.98 survival rate? Aye okay