The Pacific

saint dave

After a fair period of time , I thought I would go back and watch this because when I first saw it , it was pushed as a partner piece to Band Of Brothers and when compared to BoB it didn't come close as a series or story. 

After rewatching it from a distance , I think it lacks a solid storyline and suffers from possibly being based on two memoirs and the John Basilone story. 

The characters and their actors just don't generate enough interest or empathy. The combat sequences are relentless and technically excellent , but , there just wasn't enough heart in it. It was only the last half hour of the last episode that I felt a connection with any of them. 

6/10

Apologies if a thread exists , I couldn't find it. 

It was decent enough, but I just didn't connect with it in the same way as Band of Brothers. I think the linear story in BoB meant you formed a better connection with the characters.

I've watched Band of Brothers multiple times, only watched The Pacific once.

• 1 month later...

It was decent enough, but I just didn't connect with it in the same way as Band of Brothers. I think the linear story in BoB meant you formed a better connection with the characters.

I've watched Band of Brothers multiple times, only watched The Pacific once.

I couldn't get further through than episode 3 of The Pacific.
Like you, I've watched BoB multiple times.

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I liked it, but like you preferred BoB.

Whatever happened to the third of these series that was planned btw - the mighty 8th or something?

If that's the Air Force one, Masters of the Air has been filmed/filming. Possibility of a release this year. Due out on AppleTV instead of HBO.