Casuals

Over the years in the top flight there’s been a few discussions about the “casuals” from the 80s/early 90s mostly by the usual suspects of Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers.

The older guys on my bus have talked at times about us getting a fair bit of hassle at some of the places you wouldn’t expect - Motherwell being one of those.

So for the 45+ age bracket of people who were going to games in the old division 1 in  the late 80s/early 90s (and maybe for anyone younger who was involved too) what was the Casuals period like across the division back in the day?

Edited by Sortmeout

13 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Over the years in the top flight there’s been a few discussions about the “casuals” from the 80s/early 90s mostly by the usual suspects of Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers.

The older guys on my bus have talked at times about us getting a fair bit of hassle at some of the places you wouldn’t expect - Motherwell being one of those.

So for the 45+ age bracket of people who were going to games in the old division 1 in  the late 80s/early 90s (and maybe for anyone younger who was involved too) what was the Casuals period like across the division back in the day?

The ayr service crew were always active in the 80s .and more in recent years . Seems to be a rivalry with airdrie and partick.

The Morton Soccer Crew seemed to form during our promotion season. I can recall seeing a double decker bus load crossing the Erskine Bridge taking the casuals to Dumbarton. The following season they got to go up against Premier Division fans. Celtic's casuals fought in the Cowshed on the opening day and the Hibs ones also paid into the home end to start a fight a few weeks later. Never saw them but I remember Hearts and Aberdeen casuals being notorious by reputation. The MSC had a rivalry with the LSD (St. Mirren) and Section B (Airdrie). 

A couple of guys I was in school with were in the MSC. One got to the stage where he had to sign in at the police station on 3pm on Saturdays. The other - I believe he hanged himself in jail many years later.

I've been going to the Rovers since the late 80's and can honestly say I’ve barely seen any trouble at or around our games. Apparently there used to be a crew from Kirkcaldy called the KSC (Kirkcaldy Soccer Casuals) but I don't have any stories about them.

I was told a big change that prevented trouble inside Stark's Park is when they stopped allowing home and away fans to swap ends at half time. Who would have thought keeping fans apart would stop them fighting each other.

The only actually violence that I've witnessed was before a Raith vs Dunfermline game in Kirkcaldy in 2009. I happened to be driving down Link's Street before the game and found myself in the middle of mini riot amongst, mainly without colours, Rovers and Pars fans.

Edited by mrpaddyx

I have never understood why these "casuals"  chose to latch on to football at a time when any football game would be the most heavily policed location for miles around.

Surely it would have made more sense to form hillwalking clubs and arrange fights in remote glens and mountain sides, no Police presence and the all their designer gore tex would have a purpose.

It's almost as if they needed large crowds to hide among and seek refuge with.

9 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

I have never understood why these "casuals"  chose to latch on to football at a time when any football game would be the most heavily policed location for miles around.

Surely it would have made more sense to form hillwalking clubs and arrange fights in remote glens and mountain sides, no Police presence and the all their designer gore tex would have a purpose.

It's almost as if they needed large crowds to hide among and seek refuge with.

3pm at the summit of Ben Wyvis you slag.

1 minute ago, badgerthewitness said:

Or they like the comfort of plod stepping in after 5 seconds.

Aye, they seem to like to fight where they know they probably won't swing a punch or get punched.  They dance about for a bit then the police turn up.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Wasnt there a thread a while back where people tried to gauge who they could batter off here and whatnot?

I think so.  It was basically confirmed that the biggest shitebags were Rangers and Ross County fans.