Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

I don't believe any rumour about Putin's health.  As someone said above, I doubt the people around him every day are posting on Telegram about it.  He is 71 though, which is the average life expectancy in Russia.  Maybe he's going to boost his everyman credentials by dying at this exact point.

10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

There was a Japanese TV show that used various AI algorithms to compare gait, speech, facial features, hand gestures etc that reckoned he had at least 2 doubles so it's not outwith the realms. Having a double controlled by a war hawk double behind the scenes is probably more scary than the real Vlad still being in charge though?

Being a double must be a tough gig, moment he goes you are fucked. 

What's the big move, kill him first and live his life? 

44 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I think I'll fly from Tel Aviv to Dagestan:

Must be up there in Darwin Awards terms with I think I'll volunteer for Russian military service so Vlad can send me to Avdiivka right now.

Old Vlad maybe needs to look a bit closer to home the next time he fancies carrying out a bit of denazification.

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Checking a jet turbine for Jews.

image.thumb.png.fee577f3339f8fe9b1d5c508ee1e8b4c.png

Jews have lived in Dagestan for over 1000 years. I wonder if many will stay after this.

Turns out Putin might have been partially right at least in blaming Ukraine for this, according to the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67269477 

Latest intelligence prediction on why no Russian cruise missiles have been launch over the last month…they are stockpiling production for a few massive strikes on Ukrainian power infrastructure once it turns really cold. They know they’ll have to overwhelm the Ukrainian air defences, so they’re gonna go all in on a few big punches. Once it warmed up, they left the power alone and hit grain…it’s getting cold again, they’re gonna switch back.

On 27/10/2023 at 01:19, Ray Patterson said:

Probably a bunch of copium but what do we reckon on the reports of Putin's health, there was the Heart Attack story over the weekend and now there's the rumour over Telegram and Twitter that's he kicked the bucket.

Most likely just the usual rumours - mind we had to put up with with the Queen for the past 10 years until it eventually happened.

What do the Russia watchers on here think?

A0545174-F93A-45EE-8FAF-7D6EE002F0C4.thumb.png.743975fc8a3280f0c5a2a70458657f1b.png

Commander in Chief of the Ukrainian Armed Forces writes for the Economist, says that the war is becoming a stalemate and war of attrition, a very dangerous situation for Ukraine.  He highlights what he says the Ukrainians need to avoid this.

https://www.economist.com/by-invitation/2023/11/01/the-commander-in-chief-of-ukraines-armed-forces-on-how-to-win-the-war

There's a more detailed version of his essay here - https://infographics.economist.com/2023/ExternalContent/ZALUZHNYI_FULL_VERSION.pdf

Not sure if these are fully paywalled.

52 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

I'm guessing that the west must be struggling to keep on funding/supplying Ukraine. 

Broker a peace deal, the Russians rebuild and in 5 or 6 years time it starts again. 

36 minutes ago, bennett said:

I'm guessing that the west must be struggling to keep on funding/supplying Ukraine. 

Broker a peace deal, the Russians rebuild and in 5 or 6 years time it starts again. 

Yeah, the latest package didn't even reach a billion, around $600 mil I think. 

3 hours ago, bennett said:

Rebuild with what exactly? 

Meanwhile away from media speculation that may just be related to some journalist having a deadline to meet:

the Ukrainians took out a small Russian naval vessel in a shipyard on the Crimean peninsula on the far side of the Kerch bridge using western missiles. Doubt this was war is ending any time soon.