Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

So where does it stop? Just hand them the World Cup trophy now? The biggest respect we could show them is to have some form of display, applause etc then put 100% in to winning the game. If they win, fair and square, then fine and I would hope they went on to qualify and even win the thing… but fairly.

Aye, I agree, calm doon.  I said the thought crossed my mind and that it wouldn't happen.  There's enough censorship of freedom of thought, opinion and expression in Russia at the moment; (and it just got worse) we don't need it here, thanks very much. 

I've never wanted Scotland to fail to qualify for anything, or lose a match.  If Scotland do win against them, I hope it's 1-0 and that Ukraine get a standing ovation.  If we lose, at the moment I can't say that I think I'd be particularly upset. (I'd certainly rather lose to Ukraine than lose to Wales.) 

16 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Fucking hell, this government.......

What about the rest of us ?

In the process of trying to "flee" Alicante a few months back, I ended up with an additional 5 days holiday due to these bloody useless forms and useless UKGOV IT systems !!

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

What about the rest of us ?

In the process of trying to "flee" Alicante a few months back, I ended up with an additional 5 days holiday due to these bloody useless forms and useless UKGOV IT systems !!

Aye it’s tough. I bet people in Ukraine wouldn’t want to be in your shoes.

He also says he isn't bothered by the sanctions and the more we introduce, the more he will flourish.
He's bluffing.
Sanctions should continue to be increased. They are clearly hurting him.
They must be left in a position where they cannot afford to hold Ukraine even if they win this war, let alone consider attacking another neighbouring country.
Sanctions are working.
I totally agree. The question was aimed at the people who feel that because Putin issues a warning then we must obey, as he has nukes and may use them.

He's warned against any more. But obviously we should & will continue them. His warnings are empty.

Got to love the Ukrainian diplomat doing a briefing with a Stone Island Ghost jumper on.
At the first session of 'negotiations on Tuesday, one of the Ukrainian delegation had a baseball cap on at the big table. Gave off a "Wee mental Davie, apprentice joiner, father of six" vibe.......

14 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

My worry with this is that it is deliberate.

I don't think dead soldiers are that much use in the future.

13 hours ago, steve55 said:

Ukrainian artillery in Ukraine

Some war, can't even get a grass park.

5 hours ago, Leith Green said:

There has been a bit of chat that Putin has been looking to the past, looking at old maps and thinking about how many countries across Europe have changed .

I do that too. It's an old guy thing, looking at maps and  old pictures of where you live. Although it never crossed my mind to invade Ukraine.

1 hour ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

All this talk of NATO expansion being the principle problem gets my goat.

The West has made some serious foreign policy blunders around the world since it came to be regarded as a faction in its own right since WW2, but within Europe at-least it's done nothing to indicate any aggression, give or take views about participation in the Balkans. 

Vladimir Putin has sat there for three decades, two in power, and seen that the West has no wish to do anything aggressive towards the Russian state, other than condemning it verbally and occasionally sanctioning it for humans rights violations or disregarding normative behaviours by ordering assassination attempts, annexing territories, fermenting rebellion and the like.  

The last couple of months and this past week in particular has shown that we would be extremely reluctant to do anything to directly oppose Russia precisely because we fear the consequences. I'd hazard a guess that any resolution to this, even if we do intervene militarily (and not all die) would not see any challenge to Russia's sovereignty within its own borders, and probably not in Crimea or the puppet republics either. The idea that he'll actually face any repercussions from the West for this personally beyond sanctions and judgements passed on him in absentia are fanciful. 

Whether Putin himself has realised this or not, well one would hope the last week has revealed this at the very least.

The sad reality however is that if his fears were caused by our behaviour and that of his neighbours beforehand, then the behaviour towards him now will be starkly more hawkish. 

I'd hope a diplomatic compromise can be reached, but it's unlikely Ukraine will want to remain neutral, and Finland and Sweden are themselves likely to give up their neutrality. 

His calculations for Russia's security and standing in the world are likely to be even further undermined, as they should be frankly. If we cower every time he threatens to end the world, where does it end? If there was a reasonable endpoint rather than an endless slippery slope maybe that would be acceptable, but that can't be guaranteed in any way for the foreseeable, if ever. 

That's the problem with Nuclear weapons, it's game over for us all, irrespective of who's perceived as the "good guys" or "the bad guys", I'd actually put it that any country holding these weapons and who are prepared to use them are the "bad guys", irrespective of how it's dressed up as a deterrent etc.

At the moment it's Putin, however there were very real worries about Trump and even some of the loose cannons in our own Government would have to be a major worry also.

You're right though, in the absence of Putin being taken out by his own people then he pretty much has us all over a barrel as when that big red button is pressed, I'm afraid it's game over for us all.......

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye it’s tough. I bet people in Ukraine wouldn’t want to be in your shoes.

Aye, You're not joking, it set me back 158 euros a night at the Melia.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Putin is going to be responsible for the Russian economy completely collapsing.  Fucking Lukoil are telling him to turn it in ffs.

And the rest of us along with it.

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Putin is going to be responsible for the Russian economy completely collapsing.  Fucking Lukoil are telling him to turn it in ffs.

Probably something to do with the allegedly $7bn that's been wiped off the net worth of the owner of Lukoil.

9 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

They'd never have dared invade if Ukraine played on Blaes. 

That should have been against international law...I remember scoring from my own half once playing at left back on the stuff...two guys were running in to tackle me (you always had at least one potential war criminal who would do slidies on it) and I just emptied it up the park and took a bounce over the keeper.

Obviously I kidded on I meant it.