Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

An interesting little blurb from Strategy Page…TLDR version, T-55’s ain’t bad at all if sympathetically upgraded, while the T-64 on up is meat on the table for Western AT weapons, and opponents with 120mm+ main guns due to it’s autoloader.

“October 9, 2022: NATO member Slovenia has sent Ukraine 28 M55S tanks, which appear quite modern and they are. But the M55S is a heavily modified T-55 tank that was designed in the 1950s and produced into the 1970s. In 1999 Slovenia completed the conversion of 30 T55 tanks into the much-upgraded M55S. The original 100mm cannon has been replaced with a western 105mm rifled gun. A new Israeli fire control system and explosive reactive armor was added. The suspension was upgraded and new tracks installed. A modern 600MP diesel engine replaced the original Soviet 580HP diesel. The M55S is similar to the Israeli T55 upgrade that produces the Ti67. The original T55 weighed 36 tons and the M55S upgrade created a 38-ton tank.

The T-54 was the first modern Russian tank and entered service in 1947, A major update, the T-55 entered service in 1959. About 100,000 T-54/55 tanks were produced between 1967 and 1979. Thousands, mainly late model T-55s, are still in use in active (kept ready to use) storage. 

Ukraine found the M55S useful because it was a modern tank, although not as heavy (50 tons), armed (120/125mm gun) or mobile (much more powerful engine) as current Russian or Western (M1/Leopard 2) tanks. The M55S did not have an auto-loader and was not as vulnerable to destruction as Russian tanks introduced since the late 1960s. Without the autoloader, the T-55 had a four-man crew, which made it easier to maintain the vehicle and keep it operational. The auto-loader vulnerability was not realized until the Ukraine War because Russian tanks had never faced so many top-attack ATGMs (Anti-tank guided missiles) or so many modern tanks with 120-125mm guns. The Russians only realized this when over half the modern (auto-loader) Russian tanks used during the first few months of the Ukraine War were destroyed or abandoned. In effect, the auto-loader tanks were eight times more likely to be destroyed in combat than a modern Western tank. This means that the M55S is nearly as effective in combat as third-generation of Western tanks (Leopard I, M-60, Chieftain).”

Edited by TxRover

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

A second question - if Russian war crimes should not be pursued should they then be completely ignored?

No because it isn't a binary choice between 'completely ignored!!!111!!!' and making an utterly self-defeating claim to hauling Russian leaders in front of The Hague. If Western statesmen believe that Russia's escalated retaliation for last week's attack on Kerch merits sanctions then they still have many of those options at their disposal. And they can use diplomacy to persuade others around the world to agree and participate - as opposed to their completely failed efforts to increase fuel production. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Neither activity makes her a historian though. 

What's the criteria? I'm published in the field after contributing a chapter to an academic reference work, but it would be quite the turn-up for the books if it turned out I've been a historian all these years and never realised.

5 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

What's the criteria? I'm published in the field after contributing a chapter to an academic reference work, but it would be quite the turn-up for the books if it turned out I've been a historian all these years and never realised.

A historian conducts extensive and novel research on a topic first-hand and then publishes their findings. This usually involves peer-review in the modern period (although obviously Thucydides and the gang didn't have to bother with that). 

No because it isn't a binary choice between 'completely ignored!!!111!!!' and making an utterly self-defeating claim to hauling Russian leaders in front of The Hague. If Western statesmen believe that Russia's escalated retaliation for last week's attack on Kerch merits sanctions then they still have many of those options at their disposal. And they can use diplomacy to persuade others around the world to agree and participate - as opposed to their completely failed efforts to increase fuel production. 

If I wasn't making myself clear I meant should other action be taken if pursuing Russian war crimes to The Hague is a no go?

You've said yourself here that the current sanctions are ineffective - are you saying that there are other sanctions that could be imposed (in addition to diplomacy) or is diplomacy alone the best option?

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
32 minutes ago, virginton said:
Neither activity makes her a historian though. 

I know when she was lecturing she did undertake academic research - couldn't tell you what it was exactly as I was too young to remember.

There wasn't as much history back then.

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

A historian conducts extensive and novel research on a topic first-hand and then publishes their findings. This usually involves peer-review in the modern period (although obviously Thucydides and the gang didn't have to bother with that). 

Define extensive.

Seems the heavy bombardment of Ukrainian infrastructure this week was not a direct response to the Crimean Bridge incident.

More an attempt to keep the hawks happy in Moscow due to their battlefield losses.

Also 30% of power facilties have been damaged. Talk of Russia trying to create waves of refugees but I feel that isn't likely, certainly not anywhere near the scale caused by the initial invasion and attacks. 

The attacks will build Ukrainian resolve rather than lessen it.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

So, is this a one off deal or an ongoing thing? Like, if you do your extensive and novel research once does that get you an equity card for life? Or do you have to have some kind of semi regular output, and if so on what cadence? At what point does someone become an ex-historian?