Farcry 6

NorthernLights

I got this for the PC during one of Epic Games stores sales about a few weeks ago.

I've played almost all the main Farcry games. I've only played a few hours of this one so far but I'm definitely having less fun then with 3, 4 or 5. It reminds me of Just Cause 4. 

Sure it looks like a Farcry game but they've stripped away a number of features that made the previous games fun or interesting. The same thing happened with Just Cause. When you launched it , it looked and felt like a JC game but as you played it you started to notice the bits that had been removed and what had replaced them wasn't as fun or interesting.

There are some strange things too like you can't pick up enemy weapons at all. The respawning of enemies is just weird. I was walking down a street in the main city last night and an enemy solider just appeared in front of me as if they'd be teleported. The skill tree is gone. I used to enjoy that part of the game, having your character get new abilities as you progressed through the game.

I'll probably persevere but I also have a feeling this will be like another Just Cause 4 for me where after a few more hours I'll just decide this isn't the sort of game I want to sink any more time into.

On 23/02/2022 at 08:35, NorthernLights said:

I got this for the PC during one of Epic Games stores sales about a few weeks ago.

I've played almost all the main Farcry games. I've only played a few hours of this one so far but I'm definitely having less fun then with 3, 4 or 5. It reminds me of Just Cause 4. 

Sure it looks like a Farcry game but they've stripped away a number of features that made the previous games fun or interesting. The same thing happened with Just Cause. When you launched it , it looked and felt like a JC game but as you played it you started to notice the bits that had been removed and what had replaced them wasn't as fun or interesting.

There are some strange things too like you can't pick up enemy weapons at all. The respawning of enemies is just weird. I was walking down a street in the main city last night and an enemy solider just appeared in front of me as if they'd be teleported. The skill tree is gone. I used to enjoy that part of the game, having your character get new abilities as you progressed through the game.

I'll probably persevere but I also have a feeling this will be like another Just Cause 4 for me where after a few more hours I'll just decide this isn't the sort of game I want to sink any more time into.

I played it, completed the main story and deleted it off my PS5. 

It was fine and relatively fun to play but tbh I had a podcast on in the background while I was running about for the most part. Far Cry 5 was absolutely tremendous. I picked that up on sale for a fiver in lockdown 2.0 and played the hell out of it. The storyline, characters and gameplay were all excellent. Then they released New Dawn as a "sequel" and it was...a bit shite. Then, incredibly, they seemed to lean more on New Dawn than 5 for inspiration here. 

I played it, completed the main story and deleted it off my PS5. 
It was fine and relatively fun to play but tbh I had a podcast on in the background while I was running about for the most part. Far Cry 5 was absolutely tremendous. I picked that up on sale for a fiver in lockdown 2.0 and played the hell out of it. The storyline, characters and gameplay were all excellent. Then they released New Dawn as a "sequel" and it was...a bit shite. Then, incredibly, they seemed to lean more on New Dawn than 5 for inspiration here. 
I played 5 for a couple of hours but found that I couldn't walk more than a hundred yards without a vehicle full of enemies driving past and ending up in a shootout with them and either using up all my ammo or dieing.
Might go back to it at somepoint and give it another bash.

• 3 weeks later...

A new patch is out today and it looks like the developers have realised some of the game mechanics are clunky and needed changed.

1. Ammo swapping can now be done in the weapon selection wheel, before if you wanted to change the type of ammo your weapon had you had to find a workbench and do it via that.

2. You can create 4 "load outs" that you can swap between from the Arsenal menu. Sounds like you'll be able to group together gear and weapons for stealth or heavy combat or whatever skills you're wanting to really enhance and swap between them easily.

These changes should smooth out the game and might actually encourage me to actually invest some more time thinking and using the different types of gear and ammo more.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

1. Ammo swapping can now be done in the weapon selection wheel, before if you wanted to change the type of ammo your weapon had you had to find a workbench and do it via that.

This annoyed me no end so I just stuck with the same rifle using armor piercing rounds the whole time. It was available in FC4 & 5 so f**k knows why they removed it here. 

Is it just me that struggled to get into this one?

I love the chaotic non stop frantic action far cry offers and I loved far cry 5 but there's something about this one that's not gripping me, I'm quite early on in the game but I feel like the whole map looks the same and is huge and all the characters are completely forgettable. Not fussed about the backpack explosives or the different bullet types. 

Does it get better? 

I gave up pretty quickly. I think I'm almost done with Ubisoft tbh. A massive map doesn't automatically mean your game will be good. I wish they would learn this. The number of repetitive shit in their games has got tiresome now as well.

I haven't played enough of this game to judge it tbh. But after a couple of hours I knew I didn't want to sink the time needed into it and sent it back.

On 24/03/2022 at 11:34, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Is it just me that struggled to get into this one?

I love the chaotic non stop frantic action far cry offers and I loved far cry 5 but there's something about this one that's not gripping me, I'm quite early on in the game but I feel like the whole map looks the same and is huge and all the characters are completely forgettable. Not fussed about the backpack explosives or the different bullet types. 

Does it get better? 

The only character I can remember the name of is hee haw to do with Far Cry 6

ccaaf81d68a31ca33ed2c79df1a45cc64441fa8d

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed this overall but took me months to eventually finish. Planned on finishing all the bases etc after completing the story but when half of them reset for the insurgency shite that was all the motivation I needed to delete it and never play again.

Yeah, I got this for a decent price when it was on sale and enjoyed it quite a lot ( I like nearly all the open world Ubisoft stuff). Planned to do a bit of the insurgency stuff after completing it but them forcing you to do some of the dumb missions that are really designed for co-op sapped me of pretty much all will to keep going with it.