Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Shell are back at being money grabbing wankers.

Last 3 bills - £54 £48 £54

So they up my DD to £96 without asking me to confirm the change and now put me in credit of £120 and then I can't actually take my DD back down to my usage because of their stupid rules, robbing b*****ds.

Screenshot_20220819-083034__01.jpg

Do energy companies not have a legal duty to ensure customers DD payments are regularly reviewed to ensure they do not end up with a large defecit? The price cap is about to almost double so your DD almost doubling is prudent.

That credit of £120 will disappear in a flash in October as well unless something is done to prevent the cap rising.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Do energy companies not have a legal duty to ensure customers DD payments are regularly reviewed to ensure they do not end up with a large defecit? The price cap is about to almost double so your DD almost doubling is prudent.

That credit of £120 will disappear in a flash in October as well unless something is done to prevent the cap rising.

I have no problem with them doing that after the price cap but to brazenly stick my money in their account waiting for the price to double just seems wrong, unless they are going to give me interest on it.

They might have a legal duty to stop folk going into too much debt but that doesn't explain an arbitrary minimum payment of £61.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I have no problem with them doing that after the price cap but to brazenly stick my money in their account waiting for the price to double just seems wrong, unless they are going to give me interest on it.

They might have a legal duty to stop folk going into too much debt but that doesn't explain an arbitrary minimum payment of £61.

I would imagine the arbitrary minimum payment will be software related - if you call them you'll be able to set it at whatever you like.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced thaf if the price cap is going to be frozen then it will be at October's level, the existing support packages being kept in place (essentially, lowering the cap to ~£3,200) and additional support being given to those who need it most.

That would almost half the amount of support that would be required to freeze it for 2 years, and may allow for some support to be given to businesses to try to stem fuel cost driven inflation.

If the cap is still £3,600 in January 2025 then we are fucked.

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I don't know what to say to you VT other than take it up with the BoE. I gave you the link in my previous post.

So you can't actually justify your assessment of it as a 'good explanation' then. That's all we needed to hear really. 

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

a mass campaign of cancelling direct debits and non-payment of bills would possibly be more effective in advertising the scale of the outrage.

It’ll never be close to the numbers required for them to take notice though, as most will continue to pay, whether out of apathy, fear of consequence, or simply that they can still afford it relatively comfortably.

I just got an email from British Gas.

How do I receive the discount?

This depends on how you pay for your energy:

For Direct Debit customers, we’ll then send the discount straight to your bank each month – like a refund – once your Direct Debit has gone through.

For example:
If your Direct Debit is £100 a month, you’d pay that as normal. Then a few days later, £67 will paid in to your bank account. If your Direct Debit is less than £67 a month, say £50 for example, £50 will be refunded to your bank account and the remaining £17 will be applied as credit to your energy account.

For Cash/Cheque customers, your discount will be applied to your energy account balance each month

I'm gobsmacked. Why not just apply the £67 as a credit to your account? I don't particularly want a refund because I'll probably end up spending it, especially around Xmas time.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Rioting, or peacefully protesting, would be noticeable but a mass campaign of cancelling direct debits and non-payment of bills would possibly be more effective in advertising the scale of the outrage.

Not sure what the folk on power cards do about it all.

42 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

It’ll never be close to the numbers required for them to take notice though, as most will continue to pay, whether out of apathy, fear of consequence, or simply that they can still afford it relatively comfortably.

https://dontpay.uk/

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I just got an email from British Gas.

I'm gobsmacked. Why not just apply the £67 as a credit to your account? I don't particularly want a refund because I'll probably end up spending it, especially around Xmas time.

All those £67's sitting in their bank account, even for a few days will earn them some money.

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Looking through twitter etc there appears to be a staggeringly high number of people who don't have a clue how the price cap is calculated.

Hold on everyone knows that apart from the good citizens of P&B, that the rest of the General Public are thick as f**k.

Seriously though I reckon a good percentage really think DD amounts are the cost of their energy.   It is quite staggering reading threads on moneysavingexpert forum etc.

Edited by superbigal

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

More importantly, a stark reminder that nationalising these companies isn't necessarily going to make any difference. Many of us are old enough to remember these things.

I was fairly young but was that not the reason things like phones and gas/electric were opened up? BT being the only show in town & charging 50p a minute to call someone in the next town etc.

Edited by bobbykdy

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Let me put it in simple terms VT.

Whilst I am not entirely convinced that the BoE actions will help much, a reading of your posting history on this subject convinces me beyond any doubt whatsoever that you certainly don't know any better than they do.

So forgive me if I decide to find the BoE slightly more credible than you for the time being.

You can decide whatever you want. But you also claimed that it was a good explanation of the current situation and haven't been able to justify that assessment at all, so your opinion can be filed in the bin where it belongs by everyone else.

Thanks for playing anyway. 

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What might be required, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is an all-out general strike across the nation to protest specifically about the cost of living crisis. Just that one focussed issue, leaving aside pay-rises and conditions, led by the unions all working together might well be what is required. The reason for leaving pay rises and conditions out is to keep it focussed on one issue which affects everyone and leaves the government far fewer targets to attack..

Welcome Comrade!

giphy-downsized.gif?cid=549b592d5a839265

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What might be required, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is an all-out general strike across the nation to protest specifically about the cost of living crisis. Just that one focussed issue, leaving aside pay-rises and conditions, led by the unions all working together might well be what is required. The reason for leaving pay rises and conditions out is to keep it focussed on one issue which affects everyone and leaves the government far fewer targets to attack..

I don't think that's legal any more