Hearts vs Dundee United 5th March 3pm/Does anybody remember Eamon Bannon?

That's a decent point if only because that's certainly more than I expected after being a goal down within a minute and then suffering a further ominous opening 10. Hearts despite all their changes still looked like the more coherent team going forward. Very irritating to lose that 2nd goal given we'd had a warning with the same player going close from a corner a couple of minutes prior.

It's the same old story, we just don't create enough chances. Both McNulty and Clark getting the full match while Mochrie and Meekison stay stuck on the bench doesn't exactly lift the mood either.

Still, on the positive side I thought Smith coped well playing out of position. I'm fully converted to the thinking that the best/only place for Butcher is at centre-half.

Edited by captainkev
My phone's spell-checker really hates me.

1 minute ago, captainkev said:

That's a decent point if only because that's certainly more than I expected after being a goal down within a minute and then suffering an ominous opening 10 mins. Hearts despite all their changes still looked like the more coherent team going forward. Very irritating to lose that 2nd goal given we'd had a warning with the same player going close from a corner a couple of minutes prior.

It's the same old story, we just don't create enough chances. Both McNulty and Clark getting the full match while Mochrie and Meekison stay stuck on the bench doesn't exactly lift the mood either.

Stil, on the positive side I thought Smith coped well playing out of position. I'm full converted to the thinking that the best/only place for Butcher is at centre-half.

Was screaming from the 70th minute for Clark to come off so fresh legs could have came on to keep up the pressing. 

I actually thought Clark had a decent game today even excluding putting away the penalty. 

But he can't be expected to play a full 90 like today and would have rather seen a younger face take his place. 

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

Argument for McNulty to be sent off at the end there, why on earth is he sticking his leg in when Gordon already has it in his hands.

It was a terrible idea from McNulty, ball wasn't there to be challenged at all. Hopefully Gordon is alright for the upcoming Scotland matches. 

22 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Argument for McNulty to be sent off at the end there, why on earth is he sticking his leg in when Gordon already has it in his hands.

Collum was having a good look at Gordon before he brought the yellow out. He was definitely thinking about it.

The ball wasn't there to be won and McNulty knew it.

I wouldn't have argued had a red been shown; albeit because that's also probably the best chance of getting McNulty out of the team.

Edited by captainkev

8 minutes ago, captainkev said:

That's a decent point if only because that's certainly more than I expected after being a goal down within a minute and then suffering a further ominous opening 10. Hearts despite all their changes still looked like the more coherent team going forward. Very irritating to lose that 2nd goal given we'd had a warning with the same player going close from a corner a couple of minutes prior.

Stil, on the positive side I thought Smith coped well playing out of position. I'm full converted to the thinking that the best/only place for Butcher is at centre-half.

Agree with all that.  Butcher looks more comfortable in central defence.  Disappointed to drop two points but never expected anything even before the game.

8 minutes ago, Empty It said:

He should have been off and not many Utd fans would argue tbh.

Hopefully tonights trial by Sportscene gets him a 10 match ban.

Good point considering I could only see a pumping coming. Annoying we didn't hang on. One of Mochrie and Meekison should have been on for McNulty or Clark with 10 to go for some fresh legs.

A really strange game. After a great start, the successive injuries gradually took the air out of us and when Smith scored a 25-yarder it had a distinct 'not our day' feel. A complete capitulation looked like it was on the cards after going behind but we got a foothold back in the game and might have won it in the end.

A good point in the circumstances, especially given the laughable inability of the teams below to make any inroads whatsoever in our lead in 3rd. Picking up 5 injuries the week before our most important game of the season so far is, on the other hand, less than ideal.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

At which club?

Since the suspensions for losing the plot in November/December he's been pretty reliable for us when he's played in defence. With Mulgrew's injuries being more frequent than we'd like he's a very good experienced back up option at centre-half.

When Mulgrew and Edwards are both fit though he should be dropping to the bench, not back into midfield.

Now it looks like United fans want McNulty banned I'd like to revise my statement and condemn Craig Gordon for diving, not even a booking imo.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Now it looks like United fans want McNulty banned I'd like to revise my statement and condemn Craig Gordon for diving, not even a booking imo.

Hypothetically, if Collum gave a foul for Gordon 'diving', would that be a penalty?

19 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

At which club?

My elder son pointed out to me during the week that in our first four games in February Butcher was in central defence and we conceded zero goals.

Hypothetically, if Collum gave a foul for Gordon 'diving', would that be a penalty?
With Collum it could be anything from a penalty to a corner at the other end of the park so who knows.

Thought that was a decent game. We started brilliantly, then the injuries started to kick in and we lost momentum. United got a bit of a foothold without really doing much.

2nd half you're hoping you don't give any early encouragement, instead we concede straight away and give away a stupid penalty. 

20 to go I was absolutely raging at our end half performance but we got it together and actually finished strongly and could've maybe nicked it. No idea why Simms never squared to Ginnelly when he was on an angle with the goalie.

Not a bad point all things considered and hopefully I never see as many injuries in a game again. I do think Neilson's subs, even though forced into them were bizarre. When GMS went off we brought a left back on instead of one of our wingers, no need for that.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

My elder son pointed out to me during the week that in our first four games in February Butcher was in central defence and we conceded zero goals.

Yeah, as @captainkev says, he’s a decent backup option at CH. I wouldn’t like to see him as first choice there though, and definitely not in midfield