Scott Brown retires

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's an absolutely terrible opinion too, unless you think all football that doesn't lead to success is just a waste of time.

Yes, as a Hearts supporter that is clearly my view.

ETA: 'Terrible opinion'. 😀 Aye, alright, boss.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

To what end?

Representing his country and playing in qualifiers for the Euros and World Cup. 

Try telling Kenny Dalglish and Joe Jordan that playing for Scotland "didnae matter". In fact had he still been with us,  try telling your own club's greatest ever player Dave Mackay that.

3 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Representing his country and playing in qualifiers for the Euros and World Cup. 

Try telling Kenny Dalglish and Joe Jordan that playing for Scotland "didnae matter". In fact had he still been with us,  try telling your own club's greatest ever player Dave Mackay that.

All of those players had amazing careers at the top level of the game and they all represented Scotland in at least one major tournament.

Scott Brown's era consisted of stumbling from one disheartening disaster to another. If Scott Brown had never kicked a ball for Scotland, we'd have lost nothing of any note.

Top marks for the use of 'try telling' though.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Mug.

image.png.e5f0db63dd86ff454f34808bbca4e461.png

Not even reduced in price. 

How was he doing for you guys this season? 

I only saw him against Dundee at Dens and he didn't do much. 

Will he be missed or was he done?

4 minutes ago, Girth said:

How was he doing for you guys this season? 

I only saw him against Dundee at Dens and he didn't do much. 

Will he be missed or was he done?

He'll not be missed. Played OK in a couple of games but was past it last season and worse this season.

Good riddance.

I think my opinion on this is probably the most stereotypically Hibs one in that he was superb for us and very good for Celtic (including in a decent share of big European ties and Scotland games) but could have been better if he'd gone somewhere else. Obviously not in terms of winning trophies but he left Hibs very raw and never needed to push himself at Celtic as much as he would have if he moved down South, where he would have been forced to develop technically more, and had time to do it. 

Don't think he comes close to guys like Lambert or Ferguson technically but dominated midfields consistently for a long time. Seems very strange to have so many people trying to argue he was not very good or somehow shouldn't be seen as a legend at Celtic. He won 9 championships in a row, whatever you want to say about the quality of the league. Lewis Stevenson has never been one of the technically best Hibs players in any side he's played in but has a league and Scottish cup, obviously he's a legend. In spite of the two horse nature of the league winning as much as he did seems pretty comparable. Arguing that he wasn't as good versus Rangers at age 34/35 and therefore was never more than a flat track bully is an odd hill to die on as well. 

Aye, I don’t subscribe to the idea Brown shouldn’t be regarded a Celtic legend nor do I buy into the claim his international career was a waste of time. I wholeheartedly agree that he is a c**t though.

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Lewis Stevenson has never been one of the technically best Hibs players in any side he's played in but has a league and Scottish cup, obviously he's a legend. 

You're talking about the Scottish Championship here, right?

If an Aberdeen player was heavily involved in a season in which we were relegated but stuck around long enough to eventually return back to the Premiership as a Championship winner then legend wouldn't be the noun I'd be thinking of to describe him.

Indeed, I might find out soon what I think of Aberdeen players that oversee relegation...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Just now, Bogbrush1903 said:

You're talking about the Scottish Championship here right?

If an Aberdeen player was heavily involved in a season in which we were relegated but stuck around long enough to eventually return back to the Premiership as a Championship winner then legend wouldn't be the noun I'd be thinking of to describe him.

Indeed, I might find out soon what I think of Aberdeen players that oversee relegation...

No a league cup. And he won that Scottish cup in the championship wildly enough. A title which no Aberdeen player has won in my lifetime! 

15 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

No a league cup. And he won that Scottish cup in the championship wildly enough. A title which no Aberdeen player has won in my lifetime! 

Ah a young gun eh!...we won it 5 times between 1982-1990, that's twice more in a eight year spell than Hibs have won it in their 146 year history.*

We do enjoy reflecting on the past at Aberdeen because the present and future ain't so bright .

So I suppose, given those stats on Hibs Scottish Cup record, it's fair enough that you consider Stevenson a legend.

*Although we've only won it twice out with that eight year period ourselves..😁...😐...🤨...☹️

Edited by Bogbrush1903

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Ah a young gun eh!...we won it 5 times between 1982-1990, that's twice more in a eight year spell than Hibs have won it in their 146 year history.

We do enjoy reflecting on the past at Aberdeen because the present and future ain't so bright .

So I suppose, given those stats on Hibs Scottish Cup record, it's fair enough that you consider Stevenson a legend,

:lol:

(You obviously haven't included the one they won before they went bust...)

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

:lol:

(You obviously haven't included the one they won before they went bust...)

Have I been historically inaccurate? When did they go bust?

I've just noticed that Vale of Leven have won the Scottish Cup as much times as Hibs and they were dissolved in 1929 and won their last Cup in  1879 although they were losing finalists in 1890 (losing to ten time winners Queen's Park)