Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Clown Job

To be honest I was not looking forward to this episode.  I am not a massive fan of musicals and this had the potential to be another one to avoid.

However all the songs were fun, there was useful dialogue in between, they moved some of the storyline along, even the premise for it all was amusing. 

Also like the cross-over episode, they changed the intro (don't skip over it).

Could easily watch it again.

To avoid just switching it off, and maybe missing something important to the ongoing series story (ie why La'an and Kirk went nowhere), I found myself reduced to trying to work out who could actually sing, and who was lipsynching.

The Milli Vanilli awards went to Ortegas, Pike and La'an.

A couple of little things I noticed (music aside). 

First, Chapel's fellowship is with Roger Korby. In the original series episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of", Korby was Chapel's ex-fiance. 

Second, Kirk's girlfriend Carol is pregnant (presumably with David). 

This just creased me up:

6 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

To avoid just switching it off, and maybe missing something important to the ongoing series story (ie why La'an and Kirk went nowhere), I found myself reduced to trying to work out who could actually sing, and who was lipsynching.

The Milli Vanilli awards went to Ortegas, Pike and La'an.

They were all lip synching. They recorded the songs separately, then lip synched when in costume and on set. 

Fun Fact: Most actors can sing.  The reason is simple.  Most actors struggle to make a living from acting.  An actor who can sing will get more opportunities than one that cannot.  Never be surprised when a well known actor demonstrates their ability to sing.

Conversely: Most singers cannot act.  Simple enough.  They don't need to.  Unfortunately many of those that get the chance think their musical skills make them natural actors without ever going to acting school.  The outcome is often painful.

Anyway, aside from all that.  Can Christina Chong sing?  I will leave that up to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acbl-PtAD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4zhuAzgww8

• 6 months later...

Finally caught up with this after we got a free month of Paramount +

Season 1: Excellent, I thought. 9 good to very good episodes and 1 I didn't enjoy. Lots of familiar Star Trek tropes (which continues into season 2) but with better character development than the other Nu-Trek shows. 

Liked: the crew, particularly Number 1, Ortegas, Chapel; the pacing of most episodes; the little nods to fan service without taking the piss; the submarine episodes (Momento Mori and the season finale).

Didn't like: the fairy tale episode (I know that's also a Trek trope but I usually avoid those ones and despite Mount in particular hamming it up, I didn't enjoy it); how some of the crew - Uhura, M'bemba - are experts at absolutely everything; the Chapel-Spock stuff was over played and felt forced at times; the death of a character that I liked. 

Season 2: Pretty good but not as good as Season 1 IMO. No Pike at all in 2 of the first 3 episodes when he's the best character is wild. Setting up the Gorn threat at the end of the first episode didn't pay off until right at the end wasting any tension there. Obviously they tried a few things which met with varied reponses but it was only really the courtroom episode that didn't hit the mark for me.

Liked: More of the crew getting things to do or being the main episode lead; the Lower Decks crossover was well done and had some good comedy moments; the musical episode wasn't terrible; the jeopardy in the finale.

Disliked: the new engineer, played for comedy one presumes with the very strong accent and "quirky" hair and background; too little Anson Mount; too much Spock-Chapel again; the Number One plot from the end of Season 1 was completed in a rush with no consequences.

All in all though a good show and I'm looking forward to season 3. Will have to get another free trial to watch of course. 

PS for those who don't know, the "Short Treks" stuff is on Paramount too. They reference it a little in the episodes of the Main show (Una's liking for Gilbert and Sullivan etc) and they did something similar in Discovery where in the finale to one season it had a few returnees from the Short Treks, so that might be worth watching.