Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Clown Job

I started rewatching the first series, and then realised this is the only post-2017 show I have done this for. Given I have seen TOS, TNG and DS9 numerous times, this says more about the shitey new shows than anything else. 

• 1 month later...

Thoroughly enjoyed the start of season 2.

Spoiler

The captain and number one barely in it, very much a Spock centred episode. This was probably the best Spock one yet. Had a laugh at him with the blood wine. 

"I want the ship to go... Now" 

Like the new engineer, too. 

Like last season, it has resisted the temptation to be very dark or focus on current "issues" like Discovery when it had a season on mental health. 

A few wee laughs, enjoyable plot, good characters. Star Trek done properly. 

Episode 2

Spoiler

Bit slow, but inevitable after how season 1 ended. Bit like Measure of a Man from The Next Generation, courtroom based. 

Well enough done but I am looking forward to getting back to normal next week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed the latest episode , liked the wink about Toronto looking like New York. Also got a thing for La'an or maybe just angry , violent women in general , but , I thought the story was decent and the chemistry between Kirk and La'an was good. 

On 01/07/2023 at 21:34, saint dave said:

Enjoyed the latest episode , liked the wink about Toronto looking like New York. Also got a thing for La'an or maybe just angry , violent women in general , but , I thought the story was decent and the chemistry between Kirk and La'an was good. 

I wonder about Anson Mount. The star of the show hasn't been in it much in the first 3 episodes. 

Enjoyed this one a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Episode 6 - just great. 

I'm still not 100% on board with the casting of young Kirk, but he is turning into a good character. 

Very much Uhura based this week. 

They aren't really pushing too much of Kirk at the moment ,  they seem to be drip feeding him into it , which is a good idea. 

Think this has had the best start to any of the later treks , would like to see a bit more Pike episodes soon though , he was easily the best thing about Discovery. 

I can only assume with an episode largely focused on a particular person, the more Pike central ones are being saved for the last couple of episodes.

Next week for those that don't know

Spoiler

Its the Lower Decks crossover episode.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Next week is tonight. It's been announced at Comic Con that the episode will air 7pm EST / midnight our time. The remaining episodes will be bumped up, so there will still be an episode on Thursday.

Also announced one of the remaining episodes will be a...

Spoiler

musical.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Next week is tonight. It's been announced at Comic Con that the episode will air 7pm EST / midnight our time. The remaining episodes will be bumped up, so there will still be an episode on Thursday.

Also announced one of the remaining episodes will be a...

Hide contents

musical.

I fucking hate Klingon opera.

On 24/07/2023 at 21:56, scottsdad said:

Liked the bit at the end where the Enterprise crew was animated and blaming it on the drink 

So taking that rational, does that mean that the Crew of the Cerritos are all permanently pissed up on Orion electric soup, so as to explain their animated existence???

Well that was a much darker episode! Very much contrasting with the comedy touch of the crossover.

I was pretty well engrossed with this one. The performances were tremendous, the story excellent. Not much by way of action but for me, this episode is where the show became a really serious Star Trek show.