Restaurants in Edinburgh

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Looks like you need to get yourself over to Fife mate.  It has more Michelin star restaurants than Glasgow.  I thought everyone lived on Red Puddings in Fife.

Peat Inn was excellent when I went tbf. 

Edited by Honest_Man#1

47 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Looks like you need to get yourself over to Fife mate.  It has more Michelin star restaurants than Glasgow.  I thought everyone lived on Red Puddings in Fife.

Fife Red Puddings are shite.

If you want Michelin Star Red Puddings, head north. 

There are plenty of good places.

Burger, can't argue with the Cambridge bar.

Fazendas is class. Their sides are class too. They did this sweet potato and feta mash which was the tits. The lunch menu is solid, It's definitely worth giving the dinner menu once in a while.

There's a steak place in Newington called Los Argentinos. Gives you all the chimichuri you could want and I recommend the tres Carnes. You get three cuts or sirloin, fillet and ribeye for instant comparison between them. Decent red wine choices also.

Korean BBQ by either Newington or Tollcross are not bad but Ong gie(also by Tollcross) is the tits. Get to cook your own meats at your table for people that haven't tried it.

Maki & Ramen near the Newsroom is solid. The black garlic ramen is a strong recommendation for people who love their garlic.

Chizuru Tei by Haymarket is BYOB sushi. Their broths are sensational and the katsu pork is the exquisite. They do an interesting little thing where they deep fry some of the salad and put it into the salad for added crunch.

Ship on the shore at the Leith shore for seafood. A bit pricier but you get what you pay for good scran and good service. I take my missus there every year.

Mintleaf which is also on the shore of Leith do IMO, the best curry in Edinburgh, but Desi Pakwan(BYOB) on Leith street isn't far behind it if you like a bbq-y charcoal taste to your curries.

You're welcome.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Great post. Don't want to be picky but just a wee mistake with location of Desi Pakwan, it is Leith Walk for non-locals reading the above. That's down the bottom of Leith and It's a wee trek from Royal Mile if you are pushing a wheelchair. 

It's now a good price for what you get but when it first opened it was unbelievably cheap for the quality. 

A couple of times I've been in and it's funny, you get a group of Indians/Asians coming in with a bottle of whisky to drink with their food. They drink Jamesons though. I never have but one day... I'll (make an arse of myself) tell them they are on the wrong stuff.

Suruchi 2 was some of the best food I have ever had, shut down now but that was like fine dining. 

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

There are plenty of good places.

Burger, can't argue with the Cambridge bar.

Fazendas is class. Their sides are class too. They did this sweet potato and feta mash which was the tits. The lunch menu is solid, It's definitely worth giving the dinner menu once in a while.

There's a steak place in Newington called Los Argentinos. Gives you all the chimichuri you could want and I recommend the tres Carnes. You get three cuts or sirloin, fillet and ribeye for instant comparison between them. Decent red wine choices also.

Korean BBQ by either Newington or Tollcross are not bad but Ong gie(also by Tollcross) is the tits. Get to cook your own meats at your table for people that haven't tried it.

Maki & Ramen near the Newsroom is solid. The black garlic ramen is a strong recommendation for people who love their garlic.

Chizuru Tei by Haymarket is BYOB sushi. Their broths are sensational and the katsu pork is the exquisite. They do an interesting little thing where they deep fry some of the salad and put it into the salad for added crunch.

Ship on the shore at the Leith shore for seafood. A bit pricier but you get what you pay for good scran and good service. I take my missus there every year.

Mintleaf which is also on the shore of Leith do IMO, the best curry in Edinburgh, but Desi Pakwan(BYOB) on Leith street isn't far behind it if you like a bbq-y charcoal taste to your curries.

You're welcome.

Great post, great selection!

I'd have to say, even at the risk of offending the Inadequate Carbon Rod, Edinburgh is pretty well spoiled for choice for above average places to eat.

18 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Great post, great selection!

I'd have to say, even at the risk of offending the Inadequate Carbon Rod, Edinburgh is pretty well spoiled for choice for above average places to eat.

Ach give the guy a break! He's not lived in this city for 8 years to explore it. I'm sure man of his taste (and humour btw) would have a good time exploring my recommendations.

Even then I'm willing to bet there are some good places I've missed as quite a few have popped up over the last half decade.

4 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Ach give the guy a break! He's not lived in this city for 8 years to explore it. I'm sure man of his taste (and humour btw) would have a good time exploring my recommendations.

Even then I'm willing to bet there are some good places I've missed as quite a few have popped up over the last half decade.

You've only missed one that I can think of  - that is The Corbie Chippy in Davidson's Mains.

I haven't been there for a few years, but it was first class anytime I visited in the past. 

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

You've only missed one that I can think of  - that is The Corbie Chippy in Davidson's Mains.

I haven't been there for a few years, but it was first class anytime I visited in the past. 

Probably because they're not in just eat! Will give a bash and return  the recommendation with Pierinos if we're including chippies, again at the Leith shore. St. Andrews and the Dolphin also for solid dependable, guid honest chippies.

11 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Probably because they're not in just eat! Will give a bash and return  the recommendation with Pierinos if we're including chippies, again at the Leith shore. St. Andrews and the Dolphin also for solid dependable, guid honest chippies.

Thanks for the chippy recommendations. Will keep these in mind

Your experience of the Corbie may very well be enhanced if you partake of at least 8 pints of Tennents in the Ye Olde Inn beforehand.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

in Davidson's Mains.

Slightly off topic but we enjoyed many a really spicy Naga Curry from the Miraj at Davidson Mains.

Crazy stuff, but we would actually make a detour just to get tasty spicy curry. 

Sadly our last visit (between lockdowns from memory?) was a big let down..

It's changed name and the reviews are in no way suggesting we should go back.

Kinda typical of so many 'Indian' Takeaways. 🤨