Oi, what happened to the Carlisle thread?

orfc

😐

Managed to score at least, and had one disallowed, and one of theirs was offside etc etc

Give the new signings 2/3 games grace to gel and after that we have to start motoring

I know from past experience with relegation battles (Carlisle have had a lot) that stringing together a few results at the bottom makes more difference than it does at the top as obviously teams are down there as they tend not to be winning...

9 hours ago, orfc said:

Managed to score at least, and had one disallowed, and one of theirs was offside etc etc

Give the new signings 2/3 games grace to gel and after that we have to start motoring

I was hoping you'd comment, were you at the game? I've seen comments, including from Oxford fans, saying Carlisle were the better team. There's the offside goal as you said, and one from a corner that was never a corner. 

Results and league position make things look terrible, but there's still reason for optimism, although it's getting harder to stay positive.

2 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

I was hoping you'd comment, were you at the game? I've seen comments, including from Oxford fans, saying Carlisle were the better team. There's the offside goal as you said, and one from a corner that was never a corner. 

Results and league position make things look terrible, but there's still reason for optimism, although it's getting harder to stay positive.

Nah, was back for Cheltenham/Port Vale over xmas/New year. Cheltenham was stunningly bad (from both sides), we looked better v Port Vale. Might be another month or so before I see them in the flesh again

We seem to have cut out the howlers at least, now just need to get the goals going in the other end and stop conceding every single game🤩 . We've got four new signings that have went straight in the first team, and maybe 1 or 2 more to come, so if they're better than what we've had we've a chance...

No disrespect to the players we had, but the last third of last season we struggled against teams in the top ten of league two (season seemed to be backloaded with fixtures against playoff/promotion contenders). Didn't beat a single one and drew most of them so having the same squad sail through league one was going to be difficult. For the most part you can blame the old board, who saw a takeover on the horizon and weren't busting the bank in the summer for new players

Barnsley 2-1 Carlisle

Dodgy pen for Barnsley 😮

But we had about four great chances in the first 10 minutes and only took one. One of them a dreadful miss. The ref cost us but we cost ourselves more by not taking the chances. 

At least no howlers from us

1 minute ago, orfc said:

Barnsley 2-1 Carlisle

Dodgy pen for Barnsley 😮

But we had about four great chances in the first 10 minutes and only took one. One of them a dreadful miss. The ref cost us but we cost ourselves more by not taking the chances. At least no howlers from us

Watched the game. Thought Carlisle generally played well and could have been out of sight early on. Totally dominated the first half. Barnsley a bit better 2nd half. Cracking finish for the equaliser but the late penalty looked an awful decision. 

Thought the new players, Armstrong up front and Neal in midfield looked very decent.

Defeat very harsh on Carlisle but that's what happens to teams who go down. 

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Watched the game. Thought Carlisle generally played well and could have been out of sight early on. Totally dominated the first half. Barnsley a bit better 2nd half. Cracking finish for the equaliser but the late penalty looked an awful decision. 

Thought the new players, Armstrong up front and Neal in midfield looked very decent.

Defeat very harsh on Carlisle but that's what happens to teams who go down. 

They do look a lot better than what we had. A couple more in we've got a chance.

Way I see it we've only got to be better than 4 other teams, surely that's doable with half a new and improved first team?

1 minute ago, orfc said:

They do look a lot better than what we had. A couple more in we've got a chance.

Way I see it we've only got to be better than 4 other teams, surely that's doable with half a new and improved first team?

I hope you are correct but it's a big ask. By no means impossible though. That really could have been an unexpected 3 points tonight so to end up losing is damaging. Simpson seems to be placing big emphasis on Kayode adding something significant but he never seems to be fit. 

8 hours ago, orfc said:

But we had about four great chances in the first 10 minutes and only took one.

I couldn't believe Butterworth's misses. They have to be scored. Unlucky with the header off the post though.

Was also impressed with Harrison Neal. Kayode will add a lot up front, and I was really pleased to see Fin Back coming on in the second half, he's been a massive loss since his injury.

1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

I couldn't believe Butterworth's misses. They have to be scored. Unlucky with the header off the post though.

Was also impressed with Harrison Neal. Kayode will add a lot up front, and I was really pleased to see Fin Back coming on in the second half, he's been a massive loss since his injury.

Yes thought Fin Back looked sharp when he came on. It was a decent performance by Carlisle but again for  no reward. 4 wins from 28 league games is miserable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ho-f***ing-hum

Lost 3-2 after taking the lead, but we've offered nothing really, and our star loan signing was taken off injured after 15 minutes - consolation penalty for 3-2 in the last minute

May have to consider the possibility we're going straight back down 😐

Didn't expect much today against the league leaders but it just adds on  - and it's hard to get out of a run like this

50 points for safety - 10 wins out of 15 matches - eek

Last 6 seasons ignoring 2019/20 have needed 48, 40, 46, 50, 51, 50

Good news is happening off the pitch, the new owners are building a training facility costing millions so we don't have to borrow facilities off Gretna and Penrith when our training pitch gets too muddy (November-March)