The garden wildlife thread

Parents moved in round the corner from me back in 2022, mum quickly got in on the garden wildlife thing.

Long story short, they've nicked my foxes and now get better pics than me.

Fergus.jpg

Baby Carpet Snake. I've not seen the adult about but It will be somewhere. If there is a snake that you don't mind sharing space with It's a Carpet Snake. Slow-moving and non Venomous. 

054.jpg

15 hours ago, scotfree said:

Baby Carpet Snake. I've not seen the adult about but It will be somewhere. If there is a snake that you don't mind sharing space with It's a Carpet Snake. Slow-moving and non Venomous. 

054.jpg

You have way cooler stuff than us.

7 hours ago, Rizzo said:

You have way cooler stuff than us.

The wildlife here is amazing but we also have some bad b*****ds around as well. The Taipan and The Brown Snake are here where I live. Both are among the 10 most venomous Snakes in the world. You just have to give them space to get away.

з7_478352.jpg

2725b4d114eccc9e27a373e117d3ab56cf4e6e96.jpg

13 minutes ago, Eednud said:

What type of tree is it in?

It's a Yellow Oleander which is an invasive tree but the amount of birdlife in it is amazing. It also has poisonous sap but when I trim it I wear gloves and safety glasses. It has a colony of stingless native bees living in it as well.  

2 hours ago, scotfree said:

It's a Yellow Oleander which is an invasive tree but the amount of birdlife in it is amazing. It also has poisonous sap but when I trim it I wear gloves and safety glasses. It has a colony of stingless native bees living in it as well.  

Think we only get pink oleanders down here but they also have poisonous sap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2024 at 07:41, coprolite said:

We'd a dead rat with a crow pecking out its intestines. The beauty of nature. 

Why didn’t the crow eat the rat?

On 07/05/2024 at 13:41, coprolite said:

We'd a dead rat with a crow pecking out its intestines. The beauty of nature. 

“In yer Glasgow slums”.

Anyway, I’m quite enjoying the Merlin Bird ID app. Amazing the kinds of stuff floating about in Dundee.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last few weeks I've noticed something has scraped under the back fence to get access into the garden near the bird feeders. Our house backs onto a path so it's not coming from another garden.  Can't be a cat and I'd imagine a fox would be able to leap the fence so I've bought one of the IR cameras mentioned earlier in this thread as I'm curious.  

And before @RH33 comments, I've already got webcams set up to record my tidy neighbour so this will be purely for wildlife...

17 minutes ago, PWL said:

In the last few weeks I've noticed something has scraped under the back fence to get access into the garden near the bird feeders. Our house backs onto a path so it's not coming from another garden.  Can't be a cat and I'd imagine a fox would be able to leap the fence so I've bought one of the IR cameras mentioned earlier in this thread as I'm curious.  

And before @RH33 comments, I've already got webcams set up to record my tidy neighbour so this will be purely for wildlife...

Rat