There was a coo

I genuinely think we are 3 or 4 decent signings away from having a side that could potentially win the league next. The squad depth isn't really there this season and we have been very unlucky with injuries but then that's the risk of running a thin squad. We've led a large number of games only to be undone in the last few minutes a silly amount of times.

I know it's very much a 'if my aunty had baws she'd be my uncle' situation but a bigger/better squad to choose from next season and cut out the silly goals, we won't be too far away. The league outwith the top 2 and bottom 2 is tighter than a ducks arse.

1 hour ago, CowdenLoyal said:

I genuinely think we are 3 or 4 decent signings away from having a side that could potentially win the league next. The squad depth isn't really there this season and we have been very unlucky with injuries but then that's the risk of running a thin squad. We've led a large number of games only to be undone in the last few minutes a silly amount of times.

I know it's very much a 'if my aunty had baws she'd be my uncle' situation but a bigger/better squad to choose from next season and cut out the silly goals, we won't be too far away. The league outwith the top 2 and bottom 2 is tighter than a ducks arse.

Never going to have a bigger better squad. The money isn’t there for a big squad. 

7 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

TBH the lowland league isn't too bad a place to be, much better to play each team only twice instead of four times.

There’s an obvious argument for both sides of that. 
the 4 league divisions are smaller and play  each other 4 times, almost every single game of the season has meaning and something to play for. Quite early in the season it’s apparent that a section of the 18 team non leagues have nothing to play for as aren’t going up or down. 

12 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

Never going to have a bigger better squad. The money isn’t there for a big squad. 

Out of interest, what do you base that on?  I don’t think a big squad is always a great thing anyway as players get fed up if not playing, but hopefully the money will be there to put together a squad that is challenging.

The club seem to run a really tight ship financially, cutting other costs to the bone, directors taking over roles that used to be done by paid staff etc.

We received an unexpected windfall with the Viaplay Cup money (which wasn’t in the budget for 23/24, although they may have chosen to spend this during the season), and also will have made a bit of money from the Scottish Cup run.

Hopefully the CISS money will also be trickling through to the budget for next season, though I think they are a bit behind the overall target.

Just in case anyone interested, Norrie Work was at the game on Friday and has a blog with lots of interviews and some game footage.

The question to David Allen about the match being moved to Friday was interesting, David said it was partly done as a bit of an experiment, and I think from a crowd size it was pretty successful and wonder if it might become a semi-regular thing.

A Friday night game can maybe attract people who like to visit different games, there were a few of them there, there was a bunch of Stuttgart fans who had been at Aberdeen. From a selfish point of view, Saturdays are more difficult for me now with youth footie commitments, so Fridays are great. 😀

Appreciate there will be alternative points of view, maybe not so good for older fans or ones that rely on public transport.  There were definitely a good few regulars missing on Friday yet the crowd held up well (there were only a handful of Hearts fans).

What do others think of Friday night games?

Just now, Cowdenleith said:

You have already started a thread on this, and seem to have joined the forum to talk about this topic only, can you just keep it there?  

I haven’t started any thread my friend??? I have joined to forum to talk about this, as I believe that this is a big decision for clubs, you are talking about 2/3 more years of this. I am also trying to gauge individual club decisions, hence the reason for putting it in here. 👍🏻

7 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

I haven’t started any thread my friend??? I have joined to forum to talk about this, as I believe that this is a big decision for clubs, you are talking about 2/3 more years of this. I am also trying to gauge individual club decisions, hence the reason for putting it in here. 👍🏻

Sorry my bad, it was the old B thread that you posted on.   

Not sure if you were reading the forum last summer, but there was a lot of bad feeling about the proposed Conference / B teams.  

Cowdenbeath were transparent in their views (unlike most teams), got a lot of stick, so perhaps they will play things close to their chest this time, no idea.

4 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

There’s an obvious argument for both sides of that. 
the 4 league divisions are smaller and play  each other 4 times, almost every single game of the season has meaning and something to play for. Quite early in the season it’s apparent that a section of the 18 team non leagues have nothing to play for as aren’t going up or down. 

And add in the financial aspect i.e no prize money in the Lowland league other than B team contributions that I believe is distributed amongst clubs. Also very disappointing away fans attendance. We have been fortunate for very reasonable home attendance due to things looking more attractive on the pitch and efforts behind the scenes.

1 minute ago, Cowdenleith said:

Sorry my bad, it was the old B thread that you posted on.   

Not sure if you were reading the forum last summer, but there was a lot of bad feeling about the proposed Conference / B teams.  

Cowdenbeath were transparent in their views (unlike most teams), got a lot of stick, so perhaps they will play things close to their chest this time, no idea.

Absolutely no problem at all, thanks for the reply.

it’s obviously an emotive subject, and it’s understandable if clubs don’t show their hand. My worry is that this 2 year thing will lead to long term involvement of the B teams.

21 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Just in case anyone interested, Norrie Work was at the game on Friday and has a blog with lots of interviews and some game footage.

The question to David Allen about the match being moved to Friday was interesting, David said it was partly done as a bit of an experiment, and I think from a crowd size it was pretty successful and wonder if it might become a semi-regular thing.

A Friday night game can maybe attract people who like to visit different games, there were a few of them there, there was a bunch of Stuttgart fans who had been at Aberdeen. From a selfish point of view, Saturdays are more difficult for me now with youth footie commitments, so Fridays are great. 😀

Appreciate there will be alternative points of view, maybe not so good for older fans or ones that rely on public transport.  There were definitely a good few regulars missing on Friday yet the crowd held up well (there were only a handful of Hearts fans).

What do others think of Friday night games?

Personally I am a traditional Saturday at 3pm person but open to any pilot with the intention of helping the club overall.

I do enjoy a Saturday though which is good for the town/local community i.e the hospitality industry in the town.

2 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Personally I am a traditional Saturday at 3pm person but open to any pilot with the intention of helping the club overall.

I do enjoy a Saturday though which is good for the town/local community i.e the hospitality industry in the town.

Good point about hospitality etc, from a club angle I am sure match sponsorship/hospitality in the lounge and people buying drinks in the  bar pre-match are much better on a Saturday.  The lounge was quiet on Friday before the game.

I wouldn't object if we played more games on a Friday night. Works quite well for me and the number of people attending seems to go up.

Quite enjoyed Friday visits to Ainslie Park over the years as well. 

Keep games like Berwick to a Saturday though as that would possibly result in fewer away supporters. 

On 16/12/2023 at 23:45, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

TBH the lowland league isn't too bad a place to be, much better to play each team only twice instead of four times.

If Cowden ever just settle for a future in the boring and deeply flawed Lowland League then they may as well just turn the floodlight off forever. 

On 16/12/2023 at 21:10, 1GregStewart said:

Not sure I agree with the use of 'never'. Granted it would be ideal to have an increase of funds from somewhere but there's nothing to say that we need to break the bank in order to put a team on the park that could potentially win this league. Prudent spending on willing, decent players. We have a manager I feel knows what he's doing and a decent guy at that who cares about what he does.

Also that chat about it not being bad being in the Lowland League can get in the bin. The only plus side is the 2 games versus teams in the league. However give me the monotony of 4 games versus teams, entry to the next round of Scottish cup and entry into the league cup over this any day. We are where on merit (or rather, lack of) but the goal MUST be to get back up without doing a Berwick.

1 hour ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Not sure I agree with the use of 'never'. Granted it would be ideal to have an increase of funds from somewhere but there's nothing to say that we need to break the bank in order to put a team on the park that could potentially win this league. Prudent spending on willing, decent players. We have a manager I feel knows what he's doing and a decent guy at that who cares about what he does.

Also that chat about it not being bad being in the Lowland League can get in the bin. The only plus side is the 2 games versus teams in the league. However give me the monotony of 4 games versus teams, entry to the next round of Scottish cup and entry into the league cup over this any day. We are where on merit (or rather, lack of) but the goal MUST be to get back up without doing a Berwick.

I said that because the budget is used up currently so a bigger squad isn’t possible realistically.