The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Southsideforever said:

Money has gone into structures rather than established players' contracts to build for the future rather than short-term success.

While this is obviously true, relegation would be a horrendous setback even in the grand scheme of things. It's not uncommon for clubs to get stuck there for a few years before coming back up, and I highly doubt it was ever accounted for in any of the long term planning.

2 hours ago, Southsideforever said:

Money has gone into structures rather than established players' contracts to build for the future rather than short-term success.

Our budget is competitive. Our team is not. I expected us to be inconsistent, but we haven’t even reached those heights.  

14 hours ago, an86 said:

I think he gets until Cappielow, unless we take an absolute skelping in either of the two games before it. If we don’t win one of the next three, it becomes very difficult to make a case for him continuing.

We can’t just continue to base it on the hope that things might turn around. There needs to be some level of evidence that it might actually happen. I’m not seeing it. 

I somehow got an O Grade in Chemistry and the only part I remember (apart from don't wind-up Mr. Sharp who was handy with the belt) was when doing an experiment you should only change one element at a time. If Beuker is definitely going, and our committee will know this by now, I'd be inclined to let Veldman have a spell on his own. That's the only way we can be sure they're not both playing the pantomime horse.

That however now becomes a timing issue. We've seen twice in recent history where inexperienced coaches (Roberts and Ellis) were fired at New Year because the club couldn't trust them with the cheque book in January. Would the committee support another 2 or 3 year contract for a guy who might not be with us in Spring?

If the club are serious about getting to the Prem at some point then retaining their position in this league must be a priority. Retreating to league 1 is perilous. Ask anyone at Cowdenbeath or Brechin. Or Falkirk, Alloa, QoS, Dumbarton or, dare I say it, Clyde.  No thank you!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

On 27/11/2023 at 07:42, Gall09 said:

If you weren’t a long time supporter of QP, why would you go watch us just now? The product is awful. Zero incentive at the minute. 

I think this might be me...? Without boring you with the background why, I've only started going along to Hampden in recent weeks and despite everything have got a lot out of it.

I think a number of people on here — if we squint our eyes — can see what the more successful version of the football Beuker/Veldman are trying to play looks like, and that they've got close to it at times during games (if never seeing out 90mins...). So I don't think the product is uniformly awful.

The overall model QP are trying to pursue with the kids makes a tonne of sense, when opportunities are so limited at Celtic/Rangers particularly, and playing in a progressive, possession style that bigger/better teams have long since adopted makes their prospects way more attractive than players who need to be re-educated all over again. That feels genuinely distinctive from a lot of Scottish football right now. That's the incentive.

Tenuous, limited analogy but... as someone who has been watching Arsenal for most of the last 20 years, this phase of QP feels very like Arteta's early days to me when they were drifting around in 8th for two seasons, seemingly conceding on every single counter attack, being rubbish at playing a high line, toothless up front, and a team that were a jumble of ill-fitting parts. It might never turn for Veldman like it did for Arteta, but the margins are finer than they appear sometimes. 

Hope for Veldman personally that it does and for the longer-suffering amongst you. It's a great club to get to watch, and you've got a special thing here, despite the well-documented shambles with Lesser etc. etc.

On 27/11/2023 at 11:31, TheScarf said:

You do realise that;

1) We're able to sign players based on who our manager is.  i.e not some no mark Dutchman who will be forgotten about as soon as he's emptied from your club.

2) He may not have even been our your radar.  i.e a 33 year old who's just come back from a horrific injury.  Going by your squad and your signings in the pasts 12 months, he doesn't exactly fit the profile.

You are right in what you say re 1), however we signed Simon Murry who was just coming home to Scotland after a very bad injury and on that basis, the boy David fits the profile. You are very lucky to have him and I wish him well with you, although not against us, but I think that on the 9th he may make all the difference between our two teams.

1 hour ago, Byekick said:

I think this might be me...? Without boring you with the background why, I've only started going along to Hampden in recent weeks and despite everything have got a lot out of it.

I think a number of people on here — if we squint our eyes — can see what the more successful version of the football Beuker/Veldman are trying to play looks like, and that they've got close to it at times during games (if never seeing out 90mins...). So I don't think the product is uniformly awful.

The overall model QP are trying to pursue with the kids makes a tonne of sense, when opportunities are so limited at Celtic/Rangers particularly, and playing in a progressive, possession style that bigger/better teams have long since adopted makes their prospects way more attractive than players who need to be re-educated all over again. That feels genuinely distinctive from a lot of Scottish football right now. That's the incentive.

Tenuous, limited analogy but... as someone who has been watching Arsenal for most of the last 20 years, this phase of QP feels very like Arteta's early days to me when they were drifting around in 8th for two seasons, seemingly conceding on every single counter attack, being rubbish at playing a high line, toothless up front, and a team that were a jumble of ill-fitting parts. It might never turn for Veldman like it did for Arteta, but the margins are finer than they appear sometimes. 

Hope for Veldman personally that it does and for the longer-suffering amongst you. It's a great club to get to watch, and you've got a special thing here, despite the well-documented shambles with Lesser etc. etc.

That's a great post and I think most Queens fans would agree with your sentiment. There have been signs that things might come together but the result at Thistle almost felt like a capitulation.

The club are in a difficult position here. Veldman seems like a nice guy and I would love to see him turn it around. But, if we take another hammering on Saturday or get nothing from the next 2 or 3 games then unfortunately I think the club would be forced to act. The margins are indeed fine but Veldman has used up his margin by not winning a real game since August. The team need to prove they are progressing and a win or two is now vital. Here's hoping.

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I somehow got an O Grade in Chemistry and the only part I remember (apart from don't wind-up Mr. Sharp who was handy with the belt) was when doing an experiment you should only change one element at a time. If Beuker is definitely going, and our committee will know this by now, I'd be inclined to let Veldman have a spell on his own. That's the only way we can be sure they're not both playing the pantomime horse.

That however now becomes a timing issue. We've seen twice in recent history where inexperienced coaches (Roberts and Ellis) were fired at New Year because the club couldn't trust them with the cheque book in January. Would the committee support another 2 or 3 year contract for a guy who might not be with us in Spring?

If the club are serious about getting to the Prem at some point then retaining their position in this league must be a priority. Retreating to league 1 is perilous. Ask anyone at Cowdenbeath or Brechin. Or Falkirk, Alloa, QoS, Dumbarton or, dare I say it, Clyde.  No thank you!

Don’t necessarily disagree, but if we take a 4-0 or 5-0 at EEP, that’s the sort of result that ends tenures. Even in the event of a narrow defeat, it becomes a question of how long you give it? If we don’t take a win out of the next three, we’re staring down Dundee United at home. 

If Beuker’s going, just let him go now and let Veldman get on with it. We might not be able to afford the luxury of time and risk to see how things play out beyond January. 

15 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

He is not a nice guy

Have to say, anyone I know who has personally encountered him only has good things to say. Doesn’t mean he is or isn’t the man for the job, right enough. 

Anyone know anything about the Hampden Debentures? No resale marketplace seems to have ever existed on the internet. But per the last financial statements QP (in addition to owning 50 Bronze Debentures) still “hold the title” (??) to 50 gold, 60 silver and 125 bronze?

The SFA aren't selling them so where would I be able to procure one, if I so wished?

48 minutes ago, QPEast said:

What evidence do you have to make that claim and I’ll stop you before you mention post match interviews.

1) He spent two days in Belgium watching the Anderlecht game last week just before the Thistle game. 

2) He blocks everyone with even the slightest bit of criticism on social media

3) The way he treated Tizzard in the Airdrie game 

4) And yes, his post-match interviews. Not once has he accepted responsibility for the results. Not even once. 

1 hour ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

1) He spent two days in Belgium watching the Anderlecht game last week just before the Thistle game. 

3) The way he treated Tizzard in the Airdrie game 

4) And yes, his post-match interviews. Not once has he accepted responsibility for the results. Not even once. 

Regardless of how relevant any or all of those points are to a discussion about whether he is the right person for the job or not, I dont think any of it makes him "not a nice guy".

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have met him a few times since he arrived, and I found him a genuinely likeable person who was happy to take some time to chat, and get pictures with my kids etc.

3 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Etc

1) Was this not him taking part of his coaching badge, which he is going through? That was the reason for his previous trip there.

2) "everyone" and "slightest bit of criticism " - do you have access to his social media accounts to monitor this? Anyway, is it part of his job to accept anonymous stick from people? Quite frankly, if you don't have the bottle to talk to him face to face, but have a go under some alias, you can hardly complain.

3) would you have kept Tizzard on after his third /fourth howler in that game, the last of which resulted in a goal?  If he had run off the park straight to the bench, there wouldn't have been anything like the stooshie. It was, I fully accept, embarrassing for the lad.

4) I don't agree that he doesn't take responsibility in interviews. I think he's quite honest and generally refers to "we".  

Putting your comment on him not being a nice guy into context, Putin is not a nice guy.  Veldman is struggling to sort things out, that's true, but how many of our goals lost are down to player errors? A very high percentage, I'd say.

It remains to be seen if he can turn things around but remember that he's working with the players presented to him and he's having them adapt to a completely new way of playing.

It's in everyone's interest that the current gash run of form comes to an end. 

Edited by Hampden Diehard