The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

The sacking might mask discussion of the mistakes all too apparent on the park. We're not marking up and the opposition midfield stream through without being tracked. Whilst the manager carries the can for the results, and has done here, the players should be looking at their own performances. It's basic stuff;  marking up and tracking back is in the hands of the players. We're in big trouble if the new guy can't give them a boot up the erse and get them to step up their game.

6 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The sacking might mask discussion of the mistakes all too apparent on the park. We're not marking up and the opposition midfield stream through without being tracked. Whilst the manager carries the can for the results, and has done here, the players should be looking at their own performances. It's basic stuff;  marking up and tracking back is in the hands of the players. We're in big trouble if the new guy can't give them a boot up the erse and get them to step up their game.

I realise the players might have been following the manager’s instructions but that doesn’t excuse basic things like not tracking runners or looking like ye can even be slightly arsed!

It’s a cliche but you’re right, these players do need a boot up the arse. 

Normally with a managerial sacking, there’s a sense of relief but I struggle to get that feeling this time round. Did the sacking need to happen? Absolutely. I’ve no doubts Veldman is a decent coach and is a highly credible guy for youth football but his in game decisions at crucial points alongside some stubborn and wild tactical decisions meant that his position was untenable. Has he improved anyone? I wouldn’t say so. I thought after we played thistle at Hampden, we were beginning to turn a corner but we’ve simply reverted back to the stale, lifeless brand football at a much much worse standard. Yesterday was as bad as I’ve seen it for a number of years 

The issue I have is that yet again, the club have made an absolute backside in their decision making. If I were told even 5 years ago, Queen’s Park would be in the championship itself, even if we were fighting relegation, I’d of bit your hand off for it but the reality is that I have zero appetite on the Saturday for matches just now.That’s not simply because we’re rubbish at football currently, it’s a wider issue where there’s serious questions being asked on what the direction of the club is. Will we get any indication over the coming months? Based on recent history, then absolutely not but something needs to change because we simply won’t be sustainable in any sense once Haughey’s 10 years of funding is finished 

Also, this doesn’t take away accountability of the players. For as bad as the management team have been, the players really need a good look at themselves. Serious questions raised about their character and overall effort in recent weeks. The thistle and Inverness game in particular were beyond pathetic. Ferrie, turner and Thomas I’d be giving pass marks in recent times but some need a kick up the backside. Problem is the depth is so bare, we don’t have anyone challenging particular players whether they play good or not 

11 hours ago, RichRJohnstone said:

I refer you to my previous post regarding Neil MacFarlane but Tony Mowbray would be fun. That's the kind of appointment that, if the club was where it was 6 months ago, would have seemed very unlikely but not impossible. Now feels like we're shopping in a smaller market.

If you’re close to Neil, which is a good shout btw, you’ll be aware that at least one of our committee has been visiting Brentford and learning from their model. Seems to be doing well down in London though? I believe his old chum Stephen Pressley is working in a development role at Brentford also. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

If you’re close to Neil, which is a good shout btw, you’ll be aware that at least one of our committee has been visiting Brentford and learning from their model. Seems to be doing well down in London though? I believe his old chum Stephen Pressley is working in a development role at Brentford also. 

“Model” “project” “vision”

Can we just appoint somebody who will win us some games please? 

6 minutes ago, Gall09 said:

I’m not sure who would want to work for QP right now. Since we turned professional every coach we’ve employed has left the building early. Two of them won us promotion and were rewarded with a “your face doesn’t fit”.  We brought in the crème-de-la-crème of development football in Europe and it’s collapsed in six months.

Trying to find someone who can manage a championship team and bring along a huge development programme is nigh on impossible in itself. Add in the recklessness of our committee and the dependency on a “sponsor” and that’s why we are the clusterfuck we’ve become. What young, progressive manager would look at all that and think “yes, Queen’s Park's the place for me to build my future”?

On 10/12/2023 at 10:20, behindthelens said:

If there’s been one consistently good thing these past few years it’s been the highlights package from the media team. 👏🏻

And a nod to @Dooflick …the goal of the game was the third Caley goal, scored by some lad called Wotherspoon. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks
Credit to Dooflick

10 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Well, y’know, fair play - the game is all about opinions. 

But in my opinion, respectfully, this is moon-howling nonsense. 

I remember in the early part of this century explaining on social media how a technology (called Home Run) developed by Boeing enabled planes to be taken over remotely and flown to any destination. And that was how those planes hit the twin towers. “Tin-hat Moon-howler” they said.

Now we just call them drones. I have one in a cupboard upstairs.

I respect your opinion and am comfortable with mine. Tick-tock.

20 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I remember in the early part of this century explaining on social media how a technology (called Home Run) developed by Boeing enabled planes to be taken over remotely and flown to any destination. And that was how those planes hit the twin towers. “Tin-hat Moon-howler” they said.

Now we just call them drones. I have one in a cupboard upstairs.

I respect your opinion and am comfortable with mine. Tick-tock.

Reading between the lines here, are you saying Robin Veldman was the Dutch Osama Bin Laden? 

Huge game next Saturday with, other results depending, a loss sending us bottom with Morton and Arbroath having a game in hand.  

Time to see just exactly how much RV was responsible for or whether indeed it's just simply the fact the players aren't up to it, (or up for it).  I still believe there's a decent core of players there, Spong, Turner, Thomson, Thomas, Robson and, Ferrie/McKenna when fit are, IMHO, more than good enough for this league.  I also believe that there are very decent players in MacPherson, Tizzard & Paton that are screaming to get out.  It will be an extremely interesting game.

January transfer window opens in three weeks and I'm doubting whether we will have a) a permanent manager in place to make a call on who comes and who goes, or b) whether we actually have the funds everyone says we do to make any acquisitions that will actually improve the squad, rather than just adding numbers.  I fear a repeat of last year where Connor Shields and Euan Henderson added very little.

On that note, I caught in passing RV's pre match interview and cant recall anything being said about Fox being absent yesterday?

12 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

I still believe there's a decent core of players there, Spong, Turner, Thomson, Thomas, Robson and, Ferrie/McKenna when fit are, IMHO, more than good enough for this league.  I also believe that there are very decent players in MacPherson, Tizzard & Paton that are screaming to get out.  It will be an extremely interesting game.

Robson has fell off massively unfortunately. I used to have him as mr consistent but he’s been in free fall since February. He tries but defensively he’s been dreadful and been at fault for a few goals. Still not convinced in any way about tizzard also. Has the attributes but he’s incredibly brainless on several occasions. I had him down as raw at the start of the season but the more it’s going on, he looks a liability

The defence is murder. We can have preferences in midfield and attack but the defence is what killing us. McPherson just about passable but he’s very suspect defensively, especially 1v1. Tizzard/Fox having similarly bad seasons (heard a rumour fox is out for 2 months). Bannon fine but needs an experienced head next to him and Reid was badly exposed yesterday, especially for pace 

Just now, qpfc said:

Robson has fell off massively unfortunately. I used to have him as mr consistent but he’s been in free fall since February. He tries but defensively he’s been dreadful and been at fault for a few goals. Still not convinced in any way about tizzard also. Has the attributes but he’s incredibly brainless on several occasions. I had him down as raw at the start of the season but the more it’s going on, he looks a liability

The defence is murder. We can have preferences in midfield and attack but the defence is what killing us. McPherson just about passable but he’s very suspect defensively, especially 1v1. Tizzard/Fox having similarly bad seasons (heard a rumour fox is out for 2 months). Bannon fine but needs an experienced head next to him and Reid was badly exposed yesterday, especially for pace 

I was genuinely hoping that the clusterf@ck that is our defence was due to the constant chopping and changing of personnel and the coaching, as whatever they're being asked to do, (assume zonal) they seem hell bent on standing, statuesque, unable to make a challenge or unwilling to cut out danger for fear that there is nobody there to cover.  

Agree regarding Robson but I gave him a pass yesterday as whilst paired with McKinstry the poor fella was doing a lot of lifting.  

I feel for Tizzard, he needs someone experienced and competent beside him to allow him the freedom to be that ball playing CB he wants to be, instead he's been paired with Fox who also wants to be that ball playing CB thus leaving the acres of space behind for all and sundry to attack.  I really want Fox to be the player we all think he could/should be, but it's just not happening and I'd have thought he'd be the most likely to be leaving in January, or pending injury, the Summer.

5 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

I feel for Tizzard, he needs someone experienced and competent beside him to allow him the freedom to be that ball playing CB he wants to be

Agree. And feel you could make the same argument for all of the centre halves. It would be so much better for Tizzard/Bannon/Reid (edit: and fox too)  if they had an experienced defender next to them. 

Edited by Anonymous Spider

3 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

I really want Fox to be the player we all think he could/should be, but it's just not happening and I'd have thought he'd be the most likely to be leaving in January, or pending injury, the Summer.

I don’t know what’s happened with Fox. In league 1 and the first 4/5 months of last season, I had Fox as a nailed down future Scottish premiership level defender but something has went badly wrong the last 9/10 months. His presence has disappeared, he struggles with concentration and isn’t anywhere near as confident on the ball anymore. He was awfully poor the end of last season but I put that down to the whole team collapsing under high pressure moments. 

He’s probably on a decent wage and unfortunately he’s been a liability for a while now. Said for a wee bit that the guy could do with a change of scenery as we’ve all seen how capable he is. Just seems to have gone very stale for him at us now 

3 hours ago, Gall09 said:

We can have both... to a certain extent. The "model" is the only way a professional Queen's Park can survive and be sustainable in the future considering the fact that the largest home crowd we can consistently attract is around 1000. So it's either the model, or back to Ludere Causa Ludendi (which I'm totally fine with btw). And the best thing about having that model is that it can keep working in the background while a proper manager can get results on the pitch with the first team, which does not necessarily have to be the direct product of the model. 

That being said and now that the Dutch Duo is gone, can I just say that my recent thoughts about their appointment have been leaning towards the sheer arrogance of it? Who do you think you are to come here and teach Queen's Park, the club which basically invented the game, how to play football? The more I think about it, the angrier I get. I hope the club doesn't pull another stunt like this because I would like to think we have plenty of managerial talent and skill in this country. 

Edited by EaglesandSpiders