The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

On 16/05/2024 at 19:20, Hampden Diehard said:

The Keans have been looking to build a stadium in EK for what seems like decades now. They wanted to do it for Clyde (I think they are Clyde fans) who were touting themselves to EK and, either before that or at the same time,  the Keans wanted to buy junior side EK Thistle. The idea was being promoted that the two teams would ground share at the Langlands site they're talking about now. EK Thistle wouldn't play ball and the Clyde move didn't come off, so they set up the present EKFC themselves. The ground they have isn't up to much and they've resurrected their earlier plan for a ground at Langlands, which is as remote as you'll get in EK....and that is very remote indeed.

Best of luck to them. Back in the day, EK had their own development agency and they might have helped, but the local authority ,South Lanarkshire Council, won't be in any hurry to contribute a bean. 

Bit back to front there with East Kilbride Development Agency.

They were openly hostile to any ideas of a professional football club setting up in EK Dodgy. And that was as far back as the 1960s. They claimed not to want the Glasgow baggage that a successful football team would have brought in.

13 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

I know it doesn't really matter but who would you rather have, Raith or County, for next season? I'll go for County getting relegated - only because I want a couple of games nearer where I live given that Caley decided to go to the seaside.  🙂

Rovers to remain in the Championship.  Simon Murray enjoys banging in goals against Rovers and to be perfectly honest I couldn’t be bothered watching him knocking in hatricks for County against us next season. 

3 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Bit back to front there with East Kilbride Development Agency.

They were openly hostile to any ideas of a professional football club setting up in EK Dodgy. And that was as far back as the 1960s. They claimed not to want the Glasgow baggage that a successful football team would have brought in.

No argument there but my point was more that the Council don't seem to have EK on their radar and that there's no political focus on the town as other towns might have.

On 17/05/2024 at 21:01, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Could the sides not be at the same level with a couple of rows of terracing below?

1_JS294552253.jpg.webp

Every time I see the Royal Box I keep thinking Star Wars. If Darth Vader had a garden office it might look a bit like this.  

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Every time I see the Royal Box I keep thinking Star Wars. If Darth Vader had a garden office it might look a bit like this.  

It always strikes me as having a more... I don't know, Nicolae Ceaușescu-type vibe. 

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

No argument there but my point was more that the Council don't seem to have EK on their radar and that there's no political focus on the town as other towns might have.

Btw Hampden Diehard, is there any word on where the Queens Park Women's team will be playing next season?

25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Sorry if this has been answered earlier but where are you playing next year? Any plans to play in your actual stadium?

It’s actually not been announced officially which is par for the course in terms of horrendous comms. Looks like it’ll be Big Hampden 

58 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Sorry if this has been answered earlier but where are you playing next year? Any plans to play in your actual stadium?

Mate, apparently that's the best football pitch in Scotland. Can't spoil it by letting folk play on it now 😉.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you could direct your question to the QPFC committee and let us know the answer, that would be most welcome. It's likely to be Hampden but I wouldn't hold my breath.

1 hour ago, QPEast said:

It’s actually not been announced officially which is par for the course in terms of horrendous comms. Looks like it’ll be Big Hampden 

49 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Mate, apparently that's the best football pitch in Scotland. Can't spoil it by letting folk play on it now 😉.

19 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

If you could direct your question to the QPFC committee and let us know the answer, that would be most welcome. It's likely to be Hampden but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks. What a mess!

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's definitely big Hampden. A club official unintentionally leaked it in an email on an unrelated topic to me :) But anything can happen at Queen's Park! 

Linked with another palace academy player on Twitter, Noah Watson. Quick search and he seems to be a left back/centre back 

If true, I’d imagine that would be a Robson replacement 

Just now, qpfc said:

Linked with another palace academy player on Twitter, Noah Watson. Quick search and he seems to be a left back/centre back 

If true, I’d imagine that would be a Robson replacement 

Yeah, saw that too.  A Crystal Palace boy - not sure what to expect.

8 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

No idea what the link is. I hope it's an excellent scouting network.

David Hopkin has been doing Scottish scouting for them, so as he was apparently helping Nuijten out after Veldman left maybe he's maintained a link with someone and is directing your attention towards their released players?

Some irony if he's ended up being a source of quality players for a club at this level when recruitment was the by far the worst of his many flaws as a manager.