The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

26 minutes ago, an86 said:

Buzzing to see our sleeve and shirt sponsors tonight! More than I would ever be about signing an actual football player. 

Calls for a new song....

"We've got Oracle Law on our shorts,

We've got Call Robert on our sleeves,

We've got the best team in the world"

All together now

24 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

To build a stadium?

Just imagine an alternative universe where we have built a stadium with a capacity of 4,000. We could probably have sold 3,000 tickets to Sellick fans, raking in £30-40k.

36 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Getting Sheridan back on a short contract is surely worthwhile. I know his age and injury history count against him but he was awesome player during the run in. Appoint the Sheriff!

Davidson said in his uplifting, motivational address “We lost Cillian Sheridan at the end of last season,"

which kind of suggests it wasn't our decision.

I'm now convinced that the club have absolutely zero interest in creating a competitive football team that can be an established Championship side, challenging for the promotion play-offs in every other season, depending on the strength and quality of the first team players. The vision it seems, is to run the club like a charity in the south side and focus on community engagement regardless of the results on the pitch and what league we're playing in. 

2 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Wilson and Thomson starting, Welsh on the bench, that's very good news. No Savoury still isn't ideal though.

If we are playing a back 5 it looks like Thomson in defence.

Not a bad starting XI and a clutch of handy subs on the bench in Welsh, Longridge and Tizzard. No McKinstry so I guess he's offski. Savoury apart, that's as strong as we can be. The pool still needs strengthening when you see the match lineup laid out in black and white.

9 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

If we are playing a back 5 it looks like Thomson in defence.

Could very well be, I think a back 5 would make sense in games we're likely to be under a lot of pressure in but he did go with 4 against East Fife so I wouldn't be surprised to see that against Peterhead on Saturday.

33 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Could very well be, I think a back 5 would make sense in games we're likely to be under a lot of pressure in but he did go with 4 against East Fife so I wouldn't be surprised to see that against Peterhead on Saturday.

If he plays 5 at the back vs Peterhead, we’re doomed. 

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

If he plays 5 at the back vs Peterhead, we’re doomed. 

Not necessarily, a back five very quickly becomes three with two attacking  wide players. 

I like a formation that is fluid and can change as a game demands. 

Anything but a rigid 4-4-2. 

Thought we looked really sharp tonight, especially before Davidson made significant changes. This team is capable of doing plenty of damage this year assuming bodies are brought in for the bench and as competition to the established players, I just hope it happens soon. Hinds looked pretty decent; we definitely still need a right back though, I know it was Celtic but I'm unconvinced Mauchin is ready.

I actually think Mauchin looked pretty solid today. He was up against someone way faster than him - it was a Celtic player so I'll forgive that, and he looked confident when he was on the ball. The boy Smith didn't look completely incapable either. I imagine longridge will be plugged in there if we're up against Morton or any other teams that are especially thuggish, but if there's a chance of playing football then Mauchin seems of a good enough standard. 

Hopefully the good performance today will quieten down the "we're doomed to go to the lowland league" voice that exists on this thread 

Maybe not a promotion winning team, but surely a big improvement compared to this time last year

1 hour ago, CathcartSkins said:

Not necessarily, a back five very quickly becomes three with two attacking  wide players. 

I like a formation that is fluid and can change as a game demands. 

Anything but a rigid 4-4-2. 

He's played 4 at the back against East Fife & Sellick. I would be surprised if that's not how he sets up at least early season.

Enjoyed that tonight. Reinforces my point that our actual strongest 11 is entirely capable of being competitive in the championship but our depth is chronic. Fox gets injured and we’ve reverted to Lewis Reid. Not a slight on Reid but he’s still so inexperienced and isn’t the quickest of players 

Macgregor looked promising in the midfield and it was a relief to see the likes of Welsh, Wilson and Thomson amongst the squad, especially after Davidson’s comments earlier today saying we had 3-4 injuries 

Mauchin at fault for a few of the goals. He’s the type who would be fine being a wing back in a back 5 but unconvincing in a back 4 at this stage of his career. I’d be straight on to get Cammy Kerr from Dundee given his contract is getting terminated