The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Cliftonhill pitch was like a bowling green and we played some really nice stuff. A wee bit naive defensively, which is to be expected. My hope is that we send a couple of these guys out to play 30/40 competitive games this season. 

What’s the chances we see a couple of additions this upcoming week ? Read an article the other day with Duncan Ferguson saying Inverness can’t sign players until the sale of Udjur to us is confirmed. Really hope whatever is delaying that is confirmed before Tuesday’s match. Ideally, Would like him to get a couple games under his belt before the real stuff against Falkirk 

How many more additions do we think we need ? Off the top of my head we’re should be looking for: 

x3 centre backs 

x1 striker 

x1 cover at left back 

x 1 winger 

Edited by qpfc

Also see Glenn Middleton is supposedly able to leave Dundee Utd. I reckon he’d be a good addition to the team.

Has some decent experience and ability. Wouldn’t mind it if he joined for a year with an optional extension.

30 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

Also see Glenn Middleton is supposedly able to leave Dundee Utd. I reckon he’d be a good addition to the team.

Has some decent experience and ability. Wouldn’t mind it if he joined for a year with an optional extension.

I would not say no to that but feel he’d be getting better offers higher up the food chain. However, I Would like to think given the fees we’ve received for McKenna, Bannon and Paton in recent times, we could at least push the boat out a bit and ask the question for someone in that bracket as a bit of a statement signing 

In saying that, I’m fully anticipating an 18 year old from down south with zero first team experience to rock up instead 

Edited by qpfc

5 hours ago, qpfc said:

I would not say no to that but feel he’d be getting better offers higher up the food chain. However, I Would like to think given the fees we’ve received for McKenna, Bannon and Paton in recent times, we could at least push the boat out a bit and ask the question for someone in that bracket as a bit of a statement signing 

In saying that, I’m fully anticipating an 18 year old from down south with zero first team experience to rock up instead 

I doubt Haughey has shelled out a single penny in transfer or development fees since he got involved with the club.

All signings from what I can see have been off contract free agents. I think the model is to sell a couple of players every summer to keep the club afloat. 

Those of you expecting the money raised from the sales of Paton and Bannon to fund transfer fees to other clubs might be a wee bit disappointed.

Edited by Charliechurch

10 hours ago, Charliechurch said:

I doubt Haughey has shelled out a single penny in transfer or development fees since he got involved with the club.

All signings from what I can see have been off contract free agents. I think the model is to sell a couple of players every summer to keep the club afloat. 

Those of you expecting the money raised from the sales of Paton and Bannon to fund transfer fees to other clubs might be a wee bit disappointed.

Players who have required a transfer or development fee since the club became professional, off the top of my head:

- Liam Brown

- Scott Williamson

- Aaron Healy

- Ruari Paton

- Nikola Ujdur (in progress)

Not a significant number and three have flopped, but also not none.

Also, nobody is suggesting that we go out and spend a fortune on someone who is currently tied down to a club, just that a decent wage could be offered to the right free agent given you're looking at quite a lot of money coming in from the McKenna/Bannon/Paton sales over the past 6 months.

Edited by Zanetti

15 hours ago, qpfc said:

I really feel that, in modern football and whatever the club level, the huge majority of clubs should try and work their youngsters to the main team, play them for a couple of years and sell them - leaving room to other youngsters going up, play a few years, getting sold, and so on - and use the money to improve the club, the player wages and getting one or two players in that either fills in a position that the club is short of, or improves the level of the rest.

The problem with the club, at the moment, is that our youngsters seem to be a monetary asset instead of a sports one... as soon as they start to develop as an important player they are sold, leaving a big hole to fill.

We need stability and a 3 year plan in terms of the promotion, development and selling of our players, with the next crop of youngsters being used as backups / group players, so that the transition is easier for everyone.

With so many ins and outs, I'm just hoping we start really well this season and that the next youngsters are already aligned, unless this is going to be a really, really long and painfull year.

I was hoping that the 3 year contracts being handed out last summer were an indication that we were thinking along the lines of two-year development and then a sell on.  

The departure of Paton for £150k, (if accurate) after a year seems cheap….all in all it indicates a willingness to do business for the balance sheet rather than the pitch……I dare say Grant Savoury would have been off last year had it not been for the injury.  Can’t see that MO changing much until we’re [firmly] established in the Championship with a support level sufficient to generate higher levels of income……if only we had a stadium that could support that!

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

I was hoping that the 3 year contracts being handed out last summer were an indication that we were thinking along the lines of two-year development and then a sell on.  

The departure of Paton for £150k, (if accurate) after a year seems cheap….all in all it indicates a willingness to do business for the balance sheet rather than the pitch……I dare say Grant Savoury would have been off last year had it not been for the injury.  Can’t see that MO changing much until we’re [firmly] established in the Championship with a support level sufficient to generate higher levels of income……if only we had a stadium that could support that!

Yup. Until we start to have attendance levels approaching that of Thistle and Raith I don't think we will not be able to afford to hang on to good players for very long.

2 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Yup. Until we start to have attendance levels approaching that of Thistle and Raith I don't think we will not be able to afford to hang on to good players for very long.

That very quickly becomes a downward cycle, unless we are anticipating 2-3 quality arrivals from our own youth setup every year. That's a big ask.

8 minutes ago, SpiderFromMars said:

If that is correct, it's awful business... 

I genuinely don't believe it for one second. There were quite a few clubs after him, and the rumour last month was around 250k. Negotiations also apparently went on for weeks; there's no way it was to walk away with such a low amount, even if there are significant add-ons.

27 minutes ago, SpiderFromMars said:

If that is correct, it's awful business... 

Seems low for a 20 goal a season striker. Akiinyemi went for £240k or thereabouts. Would hope Paton was worth more than that.

We're a selling club, much like most, and we have to sell a couple of players for decent money every year to get anywhere near being sustainable. Thankfully, the days of future internationals like Barry Douglas being developed by the club and leaving as amateurs for buttons are over.

Part of the model will be the promotion of youth players, justifying the expense on the academy set up, and that will mean guys like Bannon being thrown in, hoping it works. To be honest, that'll mean a hard shift to be competitive in the Championship, but personally I prefer that to us going "full Gretna" and buying in a team of old Premier pros.

We do need to move guys on to create spaces for young guys to come through so as, for one thing, to demonstrate that there is a career path for them.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

10 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I genuinely don't believe it for one second. There were quite a few clubs after him, and the rumour last month was around 250k. Negotiations also apparently went on for weeks; there's no way it was to walk away with such a low amount, even if there are significant add-ons.

Likewise, I hope that report isn't accurate and in all other cases would give it zero credit, but there's always that 5% of me thinking that this is a QP that has an unnerving ability to shoot itself in the foot sometimes and previously allowed a Championship top scorer to leave for very little.

It's no secret that Port Vale were after Paton for weeks, and I'm sure there were plenty of other clubs after him. I have no doubt that we'll have held out for a decent fee.

We'll probably never know what it was as QP won't want to give other clubs a gauge of the fees we're looking for, but surely it was more than £150k? A young guy scoring over 20 goals in a struggling Championship side is worth a helluva lot more than that.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Callum's pre-match interview talking again about his preference for a back four but being unable to play it due to injuries but will do once players return and a signing "that is almost over the line" comes through. Wonder if that signing is Ujdur? If so, it sounds close by the way Callum is talking.