Rossvale FC

So just so as I get my head round this, Rossvale are no longer Rossvale as they split from the Community Club of the same name based in Bishopbriggs who now have their own team in the 4th Division (a bit like BSC with Broomhill) and are sharing at Petershill?

So they have changed their name, which is a bit shit frankly, and who exactly supports them? if you're from that immediate area you support Petershill don't you?

Edited by Burnieman

10 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

So just so as I get my head round this, Rossvale are no longer Rossvale as they split from the Community Club of the same name based in Bishopbriggs who now have their own team in the 4th Division (a bit like BSC with Broomhill) and are sharing at Petershill?

So they have changed their name, which is a bit shit frankly, and who exactly supports them? if you're from that immediate are you support Petershill don't you?

2 men & a dug is there support. So many clubs in that area: Petershill st Rochs, Ashfield, Glasgow Perthshire very difficult for them to build a fan base especially if you groundshare with your rivals 

8 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

So they have changed their name, which is a bit shit frankly, and who exactly supports them? if you're from that immediate are you support Petershill don't you?

Just to clarify, there's obviously legal reasons involved regarding name badge merchandise etc.

A Bishopbriggs boys club or whatever the proper title is these days. Maybe sports club.

Rossvale get an adult team into the then Juniors and eventually in time East Dunbartonshire Council upgrade Hunterhill's playing fields into an astro turf with floodlights. Problem was that was the limit the council was prepared to spend. Great for the local amateur teams but a bit off base regarding facilities when it came to asking people to pay in. That in turn becomes a hard watch for anybody setting out to be a Rossvale fan. Then in turn there's the move from the Juniors to the Wosfl and with it the paying public expectations go up slightly. If you talking SFA licenses then folk rightly start looking for wee things like a bit of cover and maybe some catering. That ain't happening so Rossvale go elsewhere.

Then you add the real mix, money and personalities.

Is the Senior team eating up resources with little success at the gate? Can the Senior team on the park afford to bring in a 17 year old from the Academy at semi pro level?

So the football academy folk with the 500 wains and young adults who's elders are coughing up dosh for the sports club start to ask a few questions.

How much is this Senior club costing us and what does the academy get out of it?

That's when the personalities start to clash over money.

I'd like to say we all wish these clubs every success but it's a bit hard when there's two versions of the same thing.

Broomhill are obviously another that outgrew the local football youth club scene.

Add in Harmony Row.

And on and on it will go.

7 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Just to clarify, there's obviously legal reasons involved regarding name badge merchandise etc.

A Bishopbriggs boys club or whatever the proper title is these days. Maybe sports club.

Rossvale get an adult team into the then Juniors and eventually in time East Dunbartonshire Council upgrade Hunterhill's playing fields into an astro turf with floodlights. Problem was that was the limit the council was prepared to spend. Great for the local amateur teams but a bit off base regarding facilities when it came to asking people to pay in. That in turn becomes a hard watch for anybody setting out to be a Rossvale fan. Then in turn there's the move from the Juniors to the Wosfl and with it the paying public expectations go up slightly. If you talking SFA licenses then folk rightly start looking for wee things like a bit of cover and maybe some catering. That ain't happening so Rossvale go elsewhere.

Then you add the real mix, money and personalities.

Is the Senior team eating up resources with little success at the gate? Can the Senior team on the park afford to bring in a 17 year old from the Academy at semi pro level?

So the football academy folk with the 500 wains and young adults who's elders are coughing up dosh for the sports club start to ask a few questions.

How much is this Senior club costing us and what does the academy get out of it?

That's when the personalities start to clash over money.

I'd like to say we all wish these clubs every success but it's a bit hard when there's two versions of the same thing.

Broomhill are obviously another that outgrew the local football youth club scene.

Add in Harmony Row.

And on and on it will go.

Just to add a bit more to what my friend Possil has said, none off which I disagree with.

There is a pattern emerging with Boys Clubs going senior; 

Both Rossvale and BSC adults moved away from their community and lost the physical links they had with the parent club. It got to the stage, from what I've heard, that the contact between the 2 parts become non-existent. It followed then that the seniors were dancing to their own tune without any association to the parent boys club.

Harmony Row just turned into a total shit-show. There were all kinds of rumours and sub-rumours flying around. One I heard was that the main committee or trustees were angry almost; stating that HR is a boys club and should remain so. The senior, ammies, women teams all tried to repair any damage as a number of the coaches etc. had been with the club virtually their whole life. Good luck to them in Giffnock.

It's a warning for the likes of St.Cadocs, St.Peters and any others who play away from their home, you need to work at keeping the contact with the parent clubactive and meaningful.

A, for now, success story is Gartcairn; they are very much based in their traditional birthplace and working hard to keep the links with the youths. Yes it could all go tits-up, but is healthy for now.

Another doing this is Kilsyth Athletic, who have use of the Sportsfield for youths, ammies, seniors. 

The youths train regularly with the seniors and ammies building a rapport and an inclusive framework.

It's the way of our sport throughout history at all levels. Some sink, some swim, some float.

For me I have a dislike of leaving things the way they are; change and diversity is healthy.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

9 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Rossvale get an adult team into the then Juniors and eventually in time East Dunbartonshire Council upgrade Hunterhill's playing fields into an astro turf with floodlights. Problem was that was the limit the council was prepared to spend. Great for the local amateur teams but a bit off base regarding facilities when it came to asking people to pay in. That in turn becomes a hard watch for anybody setting out to be a Rossvale fan. 

Just to add to this, I worked with someone at the time Huntershill was being done up who was on the committee of Springburn Harriers who own the running track and it was at the time Rossvale they had just been accepted into the juniors with Huntershill being held up as the home ground with all the bells and whistles. He told me at the time that there was no chance of that happening as they would need to buy land from them and they weren't willing to sell. At the SJFA AGM we were sold the Huntershill plan that never had a chance of working. They should never have been allowed to enter the league imo.

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Just to add a bit more to what my friend Possil has said, none off which I disagree with.

There is a pattern emerging with Boys Clubs going senior; 

Both Rossvale and BSC adults moved away from their community and lost the physical links they had with the parent club. It got to the stage, from what I've heard, that the contact between the 2 parts become non-existent. It followed then that the seniors were dancing to their own tune without any association to the parent boys club.

Harmony Row just turned into a total shit-show. There were all kinds of rumours and sub-rumours flying around. One I heard was that the main committee or trustees were angry almost; stating that HR is a boys club and should remain so. The senior, ammies, women teams all tried to repair any damage as a number of the coaches etc. had been with the club virtually their whole life. Good luck to them in Giffnock.

It's a warning for the likes of St.Cadocs, St.Peters and any others who play away from their home, you need to work at keeping the contact with the parent clubactive and meaningful.

A, for now, success story is Gartcairn; they are very much based in their traditional birthplace and working hard to keep the links with the youths. Yes it could all go tits-up, but is healthy for now.

Another doing this is Kilsyth Athletic, who have use of the Sportsfield for youths, ammies, seniors. 

The youths train regularly with the seniors and ammies building a rapport and an inclusive framework.

It's the way of our sport throughout history at all levels. Some sink, some swim, some float.

For me I have a dislike of leaving things the way they are; change and diversity is healthy.

I cannot understand why existing clubs without youth set ups below them cannot work in partnership with local youth clubs to offer a partenership that benefits the clubs and the wider communities. Of course there is going to be I bumps along the road but if you set in place a framework of working together in offering a pathway for players that are good enough not for every player. 

1 hour ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I cannot understand why existing clubs without youth set ups below them cannot work in partnership with local youth clubs to offer a partenership that benefits the clubs and the wider communities. Of course there is going to be I bumps along the road but if you set in place a framework of working together in offering a pathway for players that are good enough not for every player. 

Another excellent point. I can't even think of any existing arrangements, that can be used either positively or negatively.

Is it down to suspicion of motive or even touch of arrogance. Or other reasons that my wee brain can't think of.🤪

1 hour ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Just to add to this, I worked with someone at the time Huntershill was being done up who was on the committee of Springburn Harriers who own the running track and it was at the time Rossvale they had just been accepted into the juniors with Huntershill being held up as the home ground with all the bells and whistles. He told me at the time that there was no chance of that happening as they would need to buy land from them and they weren't willing to sell. At the SJFA AGM we were sold the Huntershill plan that never had a chance of working. They should never have been allowed to enter the league imo.

Due diligence is the phrase I believe. There has been some discussion 're the new clubs in Div 4 and their cages or field etc. As a 'champion' of the division will be interested to see what occurs in terms of ground development. I know a few of the clubs have plans in place, not my place to say anything further. But of course this will be controlled by finances and our wonderful councils support.

6 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Due diligence is the phrase I believe. There has been some discussion 're the new clubs in Div 4 and their cages or field etc. As a 'champion' of the division will be interested to see what occurs in terms of ground development. I know a few of the clubs have plans in place, not my place to say anything further. But of course this will be controlled by finances and our wonderful councils support.

I was happy to have new clubs but you are spot on that it was lack of due diligence by the SJFA but also  lies told by the club and they were not the only 1 who came in promising the world and not delivering (although that club now have a decent set up but is still missing a few things). 

In terms of Div 4, again, I am really happy to have these clubs in but there have to be agreed milestones to getting their grounds up to standard when reaching each division. I know not every club will need a large (by our standards) capacity ground but there need to be some things like cover, catering, toilets at the very basic level then developing and expanding if and when they go up. We played Rossvale the year they won promotion to the West Region Premier and I refused to go to Huntershill as I knew what it was like (it was the middle of winter plus I had watched our 21s there the season before and got soaked) The amount of our fans that came back and said they left very early and were shocked they had to pay to watch a game inside a cage.

The WOSFL should go with a similar model of licensing that they have in other pyramids relating to grounds and facilities (not now but in several years time when the league has been up and running for a while) with the ultimate aim of having the top league been SFA Licensed. This could be done by allowing promotion to the league but having to have it compliant with the conditions for that league by the following May. It will encourage clubs to improve facilities and potentially make it easier to attract fans when they see it is not just a pitch with a cage around it or a run down old ground from the 1980s. There will be cost but I am sure that using the next few years to get things in place can encourage clubs to start to think about it and fundraise towards it.

10 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I was happy to have new clubs but you are spot on that it was lack of due diligence by the SJFA but also  lies told by the club and they were not the only 1 who came in promising the world and not delivering (although that club now have a decent set up but is still missing a few things). 

In terms of Div 4, again, I am really happy to have these clubs in but there have to be agreed milestones to getting their grounds up to standard when reaching each division. I know not every club will need a large (by our standards) capacity ground but there need to be some things like cover, catering, toilets at the very basic level then developing and expanding if and when they go up. We played Rossvale the year they won promotion to the West Region Premier and I refused to go to Huntershill as I knew what it was like (it was the middle of winter plus I had watched our 21s there the season before and got soaked) The amount of our fans that came back and said they left very early and were shocked they had to pay to watch a game inside a cage.

The WOSFL should go with a similar model of licensing that they have in other pyramids relating to grounds and facilities (not now but in several years time when the league has been up and running for a while) with the ultimate aim of having the top league been SFA Licensed. This could be done by allowing promotion to the league but having to have it compliant with the conditions for that league by the following May. It will encourage clubs to improve facilities and potentially make it easier to attract fans when they see it is not just a pitch with a cage around it or a run down old ground from the 1980s. There will be cost but I am sure that using the next few years to get things in place can encourage clubs to start to think about it and fundraise towards it.

I refused to watch my team play rossvale at Huntershill, heard all the horror stories not to mention the speed cameras outside the ground! 

47 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Having been to a number of the cages in Div 4. these clubs need guidance from the league management to ensure that they know  what they have to provide for spectators, players and committees and a proper timeframe and framework to achieve this.

Is the problem that the clubs joined knowing they had to meet a set of conditions relating to their ground and then the WoS league dropped those conditions/didn't follow through with them? I was under the impression that, originally, the fourth division was set up separately and was more of a trial for the new clubs and that seems to have been forgotten about and now they are simply members like all the clubs above them.

So they're just Open Goal Broomhill in a lower league with a shit works team name now? (Better name than Open Goal Broomhill, I suppose). Their derbies with Broomhill and Caledonian Braves when they're both relegated will be famous.

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

So they're just Open Goal Broomhill in a lower league with a shit works team name now? (Better name than Open Goal Broomhill, I suppose). Their derbies with Broomhill and Caledonian Braves when they're both relegated will be famous.

And not forgetting Rossvale Academy.

@PossilYM somewhere you posted about people in cages not charging if no facilities, can't be arsed hunting for it, so.

LEAVE MY DIV 4 NEWBIES ALONE. 🙄🙄🙄

Seriously, it's a good point, there should be a document stating the basic facilities a club need to provide for fans before they can join the West and must have a plan to attain a minimum standard applicable after a set time.

As an extra there are some traditional Joonyur grounds I would pay to get out of, not mentioning any cause that's no polite where I'm fae.

#pubhoppers.