Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

17 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Correct, and add to the fact that EoS clubs have no qualms about relegating three clubs (or even four) from 16 to ensure a healthy flow between tiers.  If the Premier has a net loss of one club to the LL, they don't save the third bottom club, they promote an extra club from below.

Buy aye, every club only thinks of itself.

16 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Bo’ness, Tranent and Linlithgow are now in the LL, replacing Dalbeattie and VoL. if one of them, or all 3 proposed another vote I think it would go through now.

Just to add to this in general. I was at the first LL AGM when GF got elected. There was a brief discussion about 'ventilation' which I felt should have gone to a vote but didn't. However at the time there were 4 clubs without lights and there wasn't a lot of love in the room for those clubs, one of which was mine. I felt the LL would have happily done without those clubs.

SPFL Reserve League quietly returned this week.

Drop from 10 to 9 teams with Dundee United, Motherwell and Hamilton dropping out. Airdrieonians and Dunfermline entering.

• Airdrieonians
  • Ayr United
  • Dundee
  • Dunfermline
  • Hibernian
  • Kilmarnock
  • Livingston
  • QOS
  • Queen's Park

Going by the fixture list, only playing an 8 game league season with a League Cup group stage guaranteeing an extra 3-4 games. 

B teams will probably be back next year trying to get in again or attempting to reconstruct things for their benefit. Hopefully the Lowland's grown a backbone.

23 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts B 2-2 Linlithgow tonight.

Hearts should have won it although both sides missed good chances late on.

A very enjoyable watch, two good teams going hammer and tongs at it.  Crowd of maybe 400-500?

On 01/09/2023 at 18:07, FairWeatherFan said:

SPFL Reserve League quietly returned this week.

Drop from 10 to 9 teams with Dundee United, Motherwell and Hamilton dropping out. Airdrieonians and Dunfermline entering.

• Airdrieonians
  • Ayr United
  • Dundee
  • Dunfermline
  • Hibernian
  • Kilmarnock
  • Livingston
  • QOS
  • Queen's Park

Going by the fixture list, only playing an 8 game league season with a League Cup group stage guaranteeing an extra 3-4 games. 

B teams will probably be back next year trying to get in again or attempting to reconstruct things for their benefit. Hopefully the Lowland's grown a backbone.

That reserve league is a complete and utter waste of time, either do it properly like the old days or don't do it at all. 

18 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Gretna and Edinburgh Uni aren't just out of their depth here, they are getting fucking mauled almost on a weekly basis.

A wee question for those in the know. Along with the one confirmed relegation spot can a club resign from the league and be 'dropped' to the appropriate league below them. I know Threave did this a few years back, obviously before we had a working pyramid. I'm thinking that if they resigned and applied to another league i.e. EOS if it's Ed Uni, would they have to join at Tier 9 again like Threave did when they joined the WOS. Just thinking out loud.

30 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

A wee question for those in the know. Along with the one confirmed relegation spot can a club resign from the league and be 'dropped' to the appropriate league below them. I know Threave did this a few years back, obviously before we had a working pyramid. I'm thinking that if they resigned and applied to another league i.e. EOS if it's Ed Uni, would they have to join at Tier 9 again like Threave did when they joined the WOS. Just thinking out loud.

I think they would need to start at the bottom rung of whatever league they go to

39 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Correction - there is no automatic relegation from the LL (there's one scenario with no relegation). I'm fairly sure that the bottom team resigning in that scenario would be treated as a club being relegated/joining from the LL and thus go into the EOS Premier Division. 

1 hour ago, stanley said:

Far from guaranteed to have any relegation this season with three Highland League area clubs struggling at the start of the season in League Two. 

Please understand no matter what happens in Tier 4, the only way there will not be a promotion into the LL is if there is not a licensed champion from East/ South / West qualifying to be promoted.  Unlikely in the extreme now.

Just now, ekok said:

Please understand no matter what happens in Tier 4, the only way there will not be a promotion into the LL is if there is not a licensed champion from East/ South / West qualifying to be promoted.  Unlikely in the extreme now.

Accept the scenario you describe might mean no relegation,  but there will be promotion into LL

12 minutes ago, ekok said:

Accept the scenario you describe might mean no relegation,  but there will be promotion into LL

Technically if the EoS, SoS and WoS champions are all unlicensed there would not be. Unlikely right now, but would be good if they ditched the requirement that the club entering the playoff has to be the champion

2 hours ago, ekok said:

Well, yes, I understand that but my post was about relegation from the Lowland League not promotion into it.