Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Posted (edited)

Its shite when a group of clubs refuses to listen to reason re participation and opening up competition and then does something incredibly cringy like opening up their competitions to B teams acting entirely in self interest rather than the spirit of fair competition isnt it lads?

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its shite when a group of clubs refuses to listen to reason re participation and opening up competition and then does something incredibly cringy like opening up their competitions to B teams acting entirely in self interest rather than the spirit of fair competition isnt it lads?

It’s hardly the same is it? It’s not the SPFL clubs who are voting on this. This is about an organisation and one man in particular.

On 25/05/2024 at 21:56, Burnieman said:

There needs to be a proper review of the whole promotion/relegation system from tier 4 downwards, and a review of where leagues stand within it.  The Pyramid has been on the go now for a decade, and it's now obvious where the issue are.

You can add SPFL Trophy invites to that list.

I uderstand that those ex-SPFL clubs were told last week of their inclusion.  The LL found out at the same time as all of us and have received no explanation of the rationale. Hopefully they ask the SPFL.

When are we getting a football regulator?   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68170031

2 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Are there teams who don’t seek to compete at the top of the league ? 
I think every team sets out to do the best it can and finance is a massive part of that but if Gretna unexpectedly found themselves at the top of the league, are Tranent suggesting they wouldn’t be interested in winning it ?

Huh?

On 27/05/2024 at 22:41, craigkillie said:

Amazing how I've gone from having a soft spot for Cowdenbeath while they were in the Championship to actively hoping they get relegated from the Lowland League within the space of about a decade. An utterly shameless football club.

Didn't have you as a glory hunter Craig.

1 hour ago, To B or not B said:

It’s hardly the same is it? It’s not the SPFL clubs who are voting on this. This is about an organisation and one man in particular.

The SPFL clubs are ultimately responsible for everything that the organisation does. The clubs elect the board, the clubs elect the working groups and the clubs elect the CEO. There is zero chance that this decision has come from Neil Doncaster going "I think I'll invite these clubs" - it will be hugely influenced by the cartel of long-term SPFL clubs like Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion, Stranraer etc.

This guy really enjoys being a contratian arse, he manages a team that voted for rhe B teams, at least 1 team unfairly included in the trophy voted for them too, meanwhile the teams getting shafted were some of the most vocal against their inclusion. Hopefully with  Broxburn replacing a pro B team club we can finally get shot of them after next season 🙏

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The SPFL clubs are ultimately responsible for everything that the organisation does. The clubs elect the board, the clubs elect the working groups and the clubs elect the CEO. There is zero chance that this decision has come from Neil Doncaster going "I think I'll invite these clubs" - it will be hugely influenced by the cartel of long-term SPFL clubs like Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion, Stranraer etc.

I think it’s almost certain this has come from Neil Doncaster, I know for a fact that SPFL clubs were not consulted on this.

Doncaster’s disdain for the LL is widely known.

Edited by To B or not B

7 minutes ago, bigwullieac said:

This guy really enjoys being a contratian arse, he manages a team that voted for rhe B teams, at least 1 team unfairly included in the trophy voted for them too, meanwhile the teams getting shafted were some of the most vocal against their inclusion. Hopefully with  Broxburn replacing a pro B team club we can finally get shot of them after next season 🙏

It must break Mick's heart to think of some clubs having an unearned financial advantage over others.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, bigwullieac said:

This debate has been twisted round to one of B teams in the LL.   It has hee haw to do with B teams in the LL.  Let's not forget that the B/Colts have been invited into the diddy cup since 2016 by the SPFL.

This issue is one of decisions being made bordering on corruption.  The SPFL haven't explained their rationale because they can't without exposing the vote buying and auld pals act that's going on here.  The HL invites are merit based, the LL invites are based on something other than merit.

There's a lot at play here, but the bottom line is the SPFL don't like the Pyramid and never have.  Their L1 and L2 diddies are horrified at the prospect of demotion to tier 5 and will fight it where they can - Bronze licences anyone, Conference proposal anyone - and this latest shambles is all about buying favours from their auld pals for when it is needed. 

Is there another Conference style proposal coming down the line that will need votes? I would say it's just over the horizon.

Edited by Burnieman

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, bigwullieac said:

Including his own club that continue to vote for the B teams, but I don't see him up in arms about that since he left Darvel 🤡

Edited by Spyro

12 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Including his own club that continue to vote for the B teams, but I don't see him up in arms about that since he left Darvel 🤡

Iirc he was told to sit doon and shut up By the ek hierarchy . He's only the manager.

2 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

Iirc he was told to sit doon and shut up By the ek hierarchy . He's only the manager.

You would think a man of his integrity wouldn't want to be associated with such a club... Not like EK needed the extra money in the first place so their vote shows where they stand as a club

54 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

This debate has been twisted round to one of B teams in the LL.   It has hee haw to do with B teams in the LL.  Let's not forget that the B/Colts have been invited into the diddy cup since 2016 by the SPFL.

Both of them involve clubs being invited into competitions for reasons not related to sporting merit, and often involving the same set of clubs, that's why they're both being discussed here.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Both of them involve clubs being invited into competitions for reasons not related to sporting merit, and often involving the same set of clubs, that's why they're both being discussed here.

It's a red herring which diverts from the actual problem.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They're both symptoms of the same problem.

That may well be the case, but entirely separate issues and if anything is to be gained from all of this then the focus needs to be on the SPFL and their actions.