Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, Omnishambles said:

Apparently Hearts' B team have signed Jamie MacDonald (38) on for a season. Another young prospective starlet getting their invaluable pathway to top flight/international football is it?

Keepers for the last two seasons are away on loan to East Fife and Ayr United, the other two keepers are only 16 and playing for the U18's so there's a gap. Hearts have said MacDonald is in for a season to play and help develop the younger keepers before they're ready to step up. Seems sensible rather than leaving 16 year olds to sink or swim.

Hearts have never claimed they are developing anyone for international football, that came from Maxwell.

50 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Keepers for the last two seasons are away on loan to East Fife and Ayr United, the other two keepers are only 16 and playing for the U18's so there's a gap. Hearts have said MacDonald is in for a season to play and help develop the younger keepers before they're ready to step up. Seems sensible rather than leaving 16 year olds to sink or swim.

Hearts have never claimed they are developing anyone for international football, that came from Maxwell.

Rangers, Celtic, the LL Chair at the time all said it. Not just Maxwell later on. In fact the SFA were at arms length from the original proposal, which is what led to all the nonsense over the rule changes.

But its fine cos Hearts never did. They just went with "Woe is me, we don't have a reserve league to play in"

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Rangers, Celtic, the LL Chair at the time all said it. Not just Maxwell later on. In fact the SFA were at arms length from the original proposal, which is what led to all the nonsense over the rule changes.

But its fine cos Hearts never did. They just went with "Woe is me, we don't have a reserve league to play in"

The point I'm making is that Hearts have never said they're fielding a B team to create players for Scotland, it's to develop players for Hearts.  This is an oft regurgitated myth.  I'm not even sure if Hearts or Celtic said anything publicly, I don't recall it.

The International/Scotland nonsense was in the Conference league document passed around clubs by Maxwell who was in numerous interviews spouting it as well. Michael Beale also had something to say although I don't recall him saying anything about developing players for Scotland.

That was the point.

21 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The point I'm making is that Hearts have never said they're fielding a B team to create players for Scotland, it's to develop players for Hearts.  This is an oft regurgitated myth.  I'm not even sure if Hearts or Celtic said anything publicly, I don't recall it.

The International/Scotland nonsense was in the Conference league document passed around clubs by Maxwell who was in numerous interviews spouting it as well. Michael Beale also had something to say although I don't recall him saying anything about developing players for Scotland.

That was the point.

Conference League proposal happened in 2023.

B teams pitch and introduction happened in 2021. You may have forgotten, but there are those of us permanently scarred by the Rangers Brain Trust at the time spouting off about Croatia. With George Fraser as their puppet and voice in the room.

And even those linked with Celtic got in on the act. Even if they flew under the radar by comparison.

“For a number of years now there has been an inconsistency in what goes between youths and the first team. We have tried different things, different age groups, different conditions around older and younger players, whatever it might, but there has been no games programmes that have provided what we need. Longer term the hope is that develops better players for the national team as well.” - John Kennedy

Chris McCart was in on the act at the time, but i'm not hunting for 3 year old quotes from the cesspool of Celtic news type sites.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Conference League proposal happened in 2023.

B teams pitch and introduction happened in 2021. You may have forgotten, but there are those of us permanently scarred by the Rangers Brain Trust at the time spouting off about Croatia. With George Fraser as their puppet and voice in the room.

And even those linked with Celtic got in on the act. Even if they flew under the radar by comparison.

“For a number of years now there has been an inconsistency in what goes between youths and the first team. We have tried different things, different age groups, different conditions around older and younger players, whatever it might, but there has been no games programmes that have provided what we need. Longer term the hope is that develops better players for the national team as well.” - John Kennedy

Chris McCart was in on the act at the time, but i'm not hunting for 3 year old quotes from the cesspool of Celtic news type sites.

I don't believe for a second that any one of Rangers, Celtic or Hearts bother a rats about developing players for Scotland or gone full on with that claim, they develop players for themselves first and foremost, that's it. Just like any other club, look after thyself.  If someone associated with those clubs comes out with that nonsense then they're just at it.

It was Maxwell who went full tonto on that in the media to the point of absurdity whilst trying to sell the Conference League as a good thing.  Made himself look a right diddy (again).  Croatia was his favourite flawed example.

Rather than go over the same old B team gripes, maybe people should be more concerned that Maxwell isn't done yet with his Conference idea.

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

That was the point.

Develop players for Hearts by signing a 38 year old keeper?

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Yeah, read my posts

I did, 

Are they signing him as a coach who won't play, because he could do the same job without playing, and introducing a 16 year old to regular first team football would surely develop them?

3 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

I did, 

Are they signing him as a coach who won't play, because he could do the same job without playing, and introducing a 16 year old to regular first team football would surely develop them?

Have a read of the Hearts topic on here, it has been explained, he will play.  Dropping in a 16 year old who may not even be upto speed in the U18's yet is unlikely to help their development, or that of the defenders in front of them.

28 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Have a read of the Hearts topic on here, it has been explained, he will play.  Dropping in a 16 year old who may not even be upto speed in the U18's yet is unlikely to help their development, or that of the defenders in front of them.

Are the previous B team keepers that have gone out on loan too old for the B team?

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Are the previous B team keepers that have gone out on loan too old for the B team?

Just checked, McFarlane is 19 and on loan this season at East Fife, Stone is 22 and on loan at Ayr United.  I think keepers are allowed to play upto 21 in the LL maybe, plus one overage player?

I think this is the first time Hearts have played an overage, although Celtic played James McCarthy a few times last season.

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Just checked, McFarlane is 19 and on loan this season at East Fife, Stone is 22 and on loan at Ayr United.  I think keepers are allowed to play upto 21 in the LL maybe, plus one overage player?

I think this is the first time Hearts have played an overage, although Celtic played James McCarthy a few times last season.

Ta. Could that be taken as a sign that Hearts believe a loan at East Fife is better for development than playing for the B team? Or do they think McFarlane isn't ready to be a first pick anywhere yet?

ETA Sorry if this has all been covered on the Hearts B thread.

Edited by GordonS

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Ta. Could that be taken as a sign that Hearts believe a loan at East Fife is better for development than playing for the B team? Or do they think McFarlane isn't ready to be a first pick anywhere yet?

ETA Sorry if this has all been covered on the Hearts B thread.

I would think so.  I'd imagine he's a long way away from displacing Gordon or Clark in a matchday squad although from the games I saw last season he had visibly improved over the course of the season.

On 25/07/2024 at 11:28, Burnieman said:

So what you are saying is hearts don't believe the B team is a good way to develop players. It's actually more beneficial to send them on loan.

You've signed a 38 year old keeper to help coach the youths but he's not a coach he's a player and is going to teach them by saying you cant play, watch me play

3 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

So what you are saying is hearts don't believe the B team is a good way to develop players. It's actually more beneficial to send them on loan.

You've signed a 38 year old keeper to help coach the youths but he's not a coach he's a player and is going to teach them by saying you cant play, watch me play

FFS 😂 🤦‍♂️

As predicted the '1 year only', has become a virtual permanent residence. The comments and almost acceptance about this show that if the powers that be are smart about how they go about it; their Conference League monstrosity can be inserted into the pyramid. After a while the gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands would subside and sporting integrity becomes just a neat little phrase.

Typical Scots moan but don't actually do anything worthwhile.

3 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Those defending it are saying the B team eligible players are off to continue their development (because the LL isn't a high enough standard) and the kids are too young and need protected (even though u18s the last couple of seasons have finished 3rd & 2nd bottom conceding an average of at least 2 goals a game).

So what happens if the 38 year old keeper coming of an injury hit season, gets injured again?