Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

12 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

The b teams need to be taken out of the pyramid.

No amount of financial gain is worth having them as guest clubs.

The other UK leagues seem to manage fine without b teams.

You continually say this but never provide a reason.. I hear Hibs are looking at it closely.

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The best teams are already in the SPFL aren't they, Kelty Hearts, Edinburgh City, Bonnyrigg Rose, Spartans & Cove Rangers.   Spartans in a League Cup QF I believe.  Kelty Hearts beat Hibs last month, some of them are in the division above Clyde.  The LL has 4 ex-SPFL teams, Brechin City in the HL.   

So I'm unsure what you mean by "such that the best teams are at the top" top of what? those clubs mentioned have already proven to be better than many in the SPFL.  The case has already been made for auto relegation of the bottom club.

We will have to disagree on this. I do not believe the lowland league contains the top 16 teams below the SPFL

1 minute ago, Cannibal said:

We will have to disagree on this. I do not believe the lowland league contains the top 16 teams below the SPFL

Disagree on what, I'm not exactly sure what you're advocating here.  Four of the best LL clubs are already in the SPFL.  The 16 clubs in the LL are currently the next best.  It's not difficult.

I think you just want to see the trapdoor pulled shut so Clyde never suffer the drop, let's be honest.

You're never going to get that. Its a made-up standard that no one will agree on. Its also not a standard that's applied to the SPFL. The SFL was shown to pick clubs that weren't the strongest even of the small number of clubs that were applying.

We'd have ex-SPFL clubs playing in the EoSFL/WoSFL by now if it hadn't been for the slim promotion/relegation opportunities. Even the two years lost through COVID might have seen an East Stirlingshire in the EoSFL by now.

Just 2 points. The only reason any team does not get promoted into the Lowland League from Tier 6 , having won their League is failure to have SFA Entry Level Licence.

And of course not winning the play offs. 

Yes there are necessary complications about relegation from the Lowland League,  but not ever has a Tier 6 team been denied promotion due to these. That is a fact not an opinion. 

Secondly,  the total embarrassment of rewarding failure for Team 42 is so beyond the pale any discussion is only more embarrassment 

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Disagree on what, I'm not exactly sure what you're advocating here.  Four of the best LL clubs are already in the SPFL.  The 16 clubs in the LL are currently the next best.  It's not difficult.

I think you just want to see the trapdoor pulled shut so Clyde never suffer the drop, let's be honest.

You seem incapable of reading my posts and keep going on about Clyde.  I will leave you to it

1 minute ago, ekok said:

Just 2 points. The only reason any team does not get promoted into the Lowland League from Tier 6 , having won their League is failure to have SFA Entry Level Licence.

And of course not winning the play offs. 

Yes there are necessary complications about relegation from the Lowland League,  but not ever has a Tier 6 team been denied promotion due to these. That is a fact not an opinion. 

Secondly,  the total embarrassment of rewarding failure for Team 42 is so beyond the pale any discussion is only more embarrassment 

But you would be happy rewarding a team who finished 4th behind three 'Guest Clubs'

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You're never going to get that. Its a made-up standard that no one will agree on. Its also not a standard that's applied to the SPFL. The SFL was shown to pick clubs that weren't the strongest even of the small number of clubs that were applying.

We'd have ex-SPFL clubs playing in the EoSFL/WoSFL by now if it hadn't been for the slim promotion/relegation opportunities. Even the two years lost through COVID might have seen an East Stirlingshire in the EoSFL by now.

Be careful.  Burnieman has confirmed these 16 teams ARE the next best and it is very simple to understand that is the case!

You seem incapable of reading my posts and keep going on about Clyde.  I will leave you to it

Oh I've read them, and replied to them.   It's you that seems incapable of clarifying what you mean by "top teams", although to be fair I think we all know what you really mean.

11 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Oh I've read them, and replied to them.   It's you that seems incapable of clarifying what you mean by "top teams", although to be fair I think we all know what you really mean.

Yes you 'know' what I really mean. What an utterly strange person you are. 🤣

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

7. On the other hand, the SPFL does actively impede teams from below. They tried to sabotage Bonnyrigg by introducing a floodlight requirement with only months of the season left, but Bonnyrigg (and Midlothian Council) were quick and well-resourced enough to meet it. For this season they demanded bronze standard be met, again without enough notice and with it not applying to the membership of existing SPFL clubs. 

You've got yourself in a bit of a mess here. It was the SFA who changed the licensing criteria and judged Bonnyrigg and other clubs on that new floodlight requirement a month before the SFA AGM rather than allowing them a derogation.

The SPFL changed their requirements in July 2023 to a Bronze licence for all current clubs to have by July 2024 (which they all did so) and the same requirement for prospective clubs from the HL/LL for the 2024/25 season, with the usual 31st March date for applying for waivers etc. 

Just now, Cannibal said:

Yes you 'know' what I really mean. What an utterly strange person you are. 🤣

It's OK I've been called worse.   

The fact is you don't want to see automatic relegation in case it harms your club at some point in the future.   You've come up with some undefined excuse of "not until the best clubs are in the LL" which is laughable BS. That daft logic has been heard before on here.

Nothing you've posted is anything new, but the underlying reason is always the same. Self preservation.

Just now, Burnieman said:

It's OK I've been called worse.   

The fact is you don't want to see automatic relegation in case it harms your club at some point in the future.   You've come up with some undefined excuse of "not until the best clubs are in the LL" which is laughable BS. That daft logic has been heard before on here.

Nothing you've posted is anything new, but the underlying reason is always the same. Self preservation.

The 'fact' you have given there is complete crap as if you did read my posts you'd say I would be for it.  Most of your fellow posters acknowledge there will be a period of time for teams to find their level for a variety of reasons.

You, on the other hand, make evidence-free claims like 'the case for automatic promotion has been made' or 'the next best 16 teams are in the LL', or your equally facile comments claiming any of this is about Clyde.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Any person claiming that the 16 clubs in the Lowland League represent the best 16 in the area is quite simply trolling.

Yeah most of the best clubs in the area covered by the LL are in the SPFL, aren't they?

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Any person claiming that the 16 clubs in the Lowland League represent the best 16 in the area is quite simply trolling.

Exactly. And FairWeather Fan (i think it was) is right to say that might be anunreasonable criterion to meet but there should at least be some attempt for it to be the next best 16.

Just now, Cannibal said:

The 'fact' you have given there is complete crap as if you did read my posts you'd say I would be for it.  Most of your fellow posters acknowledge there will be a period of time for teams to find their level for a variety of reasons.

You, on the other hand, make evidence-free claims like 'the case for automatic promotion has been made' or 'the next best 16 teams are in the LL', or your equally facile comments claiming any of this is about Clyde.

I've laid out as simply as I can why the case has already been made, the LL has already provided the SPFL with 4 clubs. the HL has provided one club.  Between them they've relegated 5 SPFL clubs who weren't good enough for that level.  Prior to the Pyramid, these clubs would have trundled along, protected by the SFL.

What part of that is evidence free? what part of that doesn't underline that auto promotion should now be implemented or that the LL has not presented it's best clubs, and won. Take your time.

33 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Our Clyde pal doesn't quite grasp that.