September 2022 Scotland squad

I think there's an u21 training camp in September rather than matches, which might be a test of his commitment. September will be too soon for him in all likelihood.

It's not good that four of our key players (McGinn, Robertson, Tierney and Gilmour) are going through very tricky starts to the season. The first three appear to be seriously disliked by their fans while the fourth is liked by the fans but seriously disliked by the manager.

43 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think there's an u21 training camp in September rather than matches, which might be a test of his commitment. September will be too soon for him in all likelihood.

It's not good that four of our key players (McGinn, Robertson, Tierney and Gilmour) are going through very tricky starts to the season. The first three appear to be seriously disliked by their fans while the fourth is liked by the fans but seriously disliked by the manager.

Ignore EPL fans, if you think Scottish football fans are fickle, EPL fans are another level. All three of the ‘disliked’ players were fan favourites last year and before. I honestly couldn’t care less about their opinions. As long as they are all playing regularly then I am happy.

Gilmour needs a move, but hopefully the delay is him being more discerning on his choice of move this time.

I think the squad will be along the lines of:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Liam Kelly, Robby McCrorie (3)

Central Defenders: Grant Hanley, Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry, Declan Gallagher (4)

Wing backs: Nathan Patterson, Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Aaron Hickey, Anthony Ralston (5)

Central Midfielders: Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack, Lewis Ferguson (6)

Attacking midfielders: John McGinn, Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, David Turnbull (4)

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Jacob Brown, Ross Stewart (4) 

Cooper and/or Souttar could play their way in if they come back from injury in the next week or two. Greg Taylor and Stephen O’Donnell miss out due to the emergence of young wing backs. I think Jack Hendry will end up keeping his place in the squad even despite not being featured at Brugge. 

First choice XI:

Gordon

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Patterson-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn-Adams-Christie 

Edited by Donathan

54 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I think the squad will be along the lines of:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Liam Kelly, Robby McCrorie (3)

Central Defenders: Grant Hanley, Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry, Declan Gallagher (4)

Wing backs: Nathan Patterson, Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Aaron Hickey, Anthony Ralston (5)

Central Midfielders: Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack, Lewis Ferguson (6)

Attacking midfielders: John McGinn, Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, David Turnbull (4)

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Jacob Brown, Ross Stewart (4) 

Cooper and/or Souttar could play their way in if they come back from injury in the next week or two. Greg Taylor and Stephen O’Donnell miss out due to the emergence of young wing backs. I think Jack Hendry will end up keeping his place in the squad even despite not being featured at Brugge. 

First choice XI:

Gordon

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Patterson-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn-Adams-Christie 

Can't see McCrorie ahead of McLaughlin....why would he be?

No way will Gallagher be in the squad....is Souttar still likely to be injured?

39 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Can't see McCrorie ahead of McLaughlin....why would he be?

No way will Gallagher be in the squad....is Souttar still likely to be injured?

Souttar comes in ahead of Gallagher if fit for sure.

McLaughlin is about 400 years old is he not? 

Jon McLaughlin has had a fantastic start to the season with Rangers and it would be somewhat surprising if he wasn't called up by Steve Clarke who we already know likes him as a senior goalkeeper. I'd go with Gordon, McLaughlin and Kelly personally. 

Greg Taylor has equally had an exceptional start to the season with Celtic so for me he'd be in the squad. He also performed well away in Armenia.

Edited by 2426255

Souttar comes in ahead of Gallagher if fit for sure.

McLaughlin is about 400 years old is he not? 
McLaughlin is 34, 5 years younger than Gordon. And at the moment - first pick for the Champions League - he looks likely to be Gordon's medium term successor.
McCrorie might go on to be a good keeper but at the moment he's got very little going for him other than his relative youth.

While I normally agree having a lot of left backs in the squad is pointless Taylor has had a great start with Celtic so it wouldn’t sent out a great message to other players in Scotland if he doesn’t get in.

Additionally Hickey has been playing on the right for Brentford so he will likely be considered for that slot in the squad with Patterson.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

is Souttar currently injured or out on compassionate grounds?

I’ll rephrase. Souttar will get in if he’s available. 

There’s every chance Taylor is in the squad but I doubt anyone makes way for him. He will be an extra body. I also reckon McCrorie might be an unofficial squad member. 

20 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’ll rephrase. Souttar will get in if he’s available. 

There’s every chance Taylor is in the squad but I doubt anyone makes way for him. He will be an extra body. I also reckon McCrorie might be an unofficial squad member. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Anthony Ralston was left out. On the one hand he played the most minutes out of all our wing backs if you discount Andy Robertson during the June international games.

image.png.ae5178dcd7cc99743908e0b8bb29c6d8.png

on the other hand he has only managed 8 minutes for Celtic since the season started although I'd imagine he will get some game time in the cup tonight.

I'd be happy with Robertson, Taylor, Patterson and Hickey - I think that's enough based only on minutes played and current form. There may be other factors that would lead to the inclusion of other players such as O'Donnell or Ralston but they would be in addition to the four previously mentioned rather than instead of.

Edited by 2426255

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Tierney wasn't in that squad

I think you'll find that Greg Taylor has been included in every Scotland squad when fit regardless of whether Kieran Tierney was in the squad or not. He was left out of the October & November 2021 camps due to picking up an injury at Celtic.

In my opinion it's quite unlikely that he will be left out just as he is excelling at his club.

Edited by 2426255

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think you'll find that Greg Taylor has been included in every Scotland squad when fit regardless of whether Kieran Tierney was in the squad or not. He was left out of the October & November 2021 camps due to picking up an injury at Celtic.

In my opinion it's quite unlikely that he will be left out just as he is excelling at his club.

We typically carry 5 wing backs (Well 4 + Tierney, who normally plays in the back three). 

There are effectively seven players competing for five spots: Robertson, Tierney, Patterson, O'Donnell, Hickey, Ralston and Taylor.

Which two are you dropping?