September 2022 Scotland squad

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

We typically carry 5 wing backs (Well 4 + Tierney, who normally plays in the back three). 

There are effectively seven players competing for five spots: Robertson, Tierney, Patterson, O'Donnell, Hickey, Ralston and Taylor.

Which two are you dropping?

O'Donnell and Ralston are the two I would drop from the squad personally. I also wouldn't object to having greater that five players as there isn't an upper limit as far as I'm aware.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I'd be happy with Robertson, Taylor, Patterson and Hickey - I think that's enough based only on minutes played and current form. There may be other factors that would lead to the inclusion of other players such as O'Donnell or Ralston but they would be in addition to the four previously mentioned rather than instead of.

One thing that could point to Taylor getting in ahead of Ralston is that Hickey has started his Brentford career at right back. He was very poor in the playoff against Ukraine leading to many of us concluding that he's a LWB only so would effectively be taking Taylor's squad spot as the 3rd choice LWB (2nd choice if Tierney stays in the back three even in Robertson's absence). Playing on the right for Brentford may mean that we don't need both Hickey and Ralston. 

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

One thing that could point to Taylor getting in ahead of Ralston is that Hickey has started his Brentford career at right back. He was very poor in the playoff against Ukraine leading to many of us concluding that he's a LWB only so would effectively be taking Taylor's squad spot as the 3rd choice LWB (2nd choice if Tierney stays in the back three even in Robertson's absence). Playing on the right for Brentford may mean that we don't need both Hickey and Ralston. 

It's not predictable, but if you are going to make a prediction then not including Greg Taylor isn't based in sound reasoning or past information in my opinion and that's my overall point. There is a case for any of the players who have recently been part of the squad to be included in this one.

Just now, 2426255 said:

It's not predictable, but if you are going to make a prediction then not including Greg Taylor isn't based in sound reasoning or past information in my opinion and that's my overall point. There is a case for any of the players who have recently been part of the squad to be included in this one.

International squads are typically 23-26 which pretty much means you have a starter and a backup for each position on the field plus maybe one or two extras to fit in.

First XI:

Gordon

Souttar - Hanley - Tierney

Patterson - Gilmour - McGregor - Robertson

McGinn - Adams - Christie

Second XI:

McLaughlin

McTominay - Hendry - McKenna

RWB* - Jack - McLean - LWB**

Armstrong - Dykes - Brown

* - Choose one from Hickey, O'Donnell or Ralston 

** - Choose one from Hickey or Taylor

Basically the only way Taylor makes it into the second XI is if he beats Hickey out to be the backup LWB, or if Hickey is preferred to be the backup RWB and Taylor gets LWB by default.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

International squads are typically 23-26 which pretty much means you have a starter and a backup for each position on the field plus maybe one or two extras to fit in.

First XI:

Gordon

Souttar - Hanley - Tierney

Patterson - Gilmour - McGregor - Robertson

McGinn - Adams - Christie

Second XI:

McLaughlin

McTominay - Hendry - McKenna

RWB* - Jack - McLean - LWB**

Armstrong - Dykes - Brown

* - Choose one from Hickey, O'Donnell or Ralston 

** - Choose one from Hickey or Taylor

Basically the only way Taylor makes it into the second XI is if he beats Hickey out to be the backup LWB, or if Hickey is preferred to be the backup RWB and Taylor gets LWB by default.

What makes you think that's how Steve Clarke goes about picking his squad? That doesn't factor in if he wants to play with two strikers or change to a back-4. Your methodology is easily understandable in theory but I don't think it bears out in reality. I think players cover more than one position. If you look at previous squads they don't fit the theory of having a first choice XI and a second choice XI.

I'm certain that Taylor will be in but I think he's stuck out quite badly in the last couple of games he's played for us. Just isn't there technically compared to the other options and not as threatening as Robertson and Tierney. I'll admit that I've not seen him for Celtic this season though.

8 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

After watching Villa last night, I can see why their fans have lost patience with McGinn. Almost every pass five yards away from its target and was really poor in his attempts at breaking up play. 

Yeah he’s really lost his form down there and looks pretty unhappy. I do think a big part of that is the team though, he’s always played out of position and Villa look really badly set up.

I hope that he’ll be better for us since she’s coming into a decent set up and knows what to do in a better position for him. You just don’t know though. 

Yeah he’s really lost his form down there and looks pretty unhappy. I do think a big part of that is the team though, he’s always played out of position and Villa look really badly set up.
I hope that he’ll be better for us since she’s coming into a decent set up and knows what to do in a better position for him. You just don’t know though. 
We have seen recently that players can come in and do well for Scotland even if they've been struggling for their club and international football can act as a sort of relief for the struggling players, but when McGinn's low of confidence he becomes a fraction of the player we've seen for Scotland of late.

On 31/08/2022 at 07:44, Donathan said:

I think the squad will be along the lines of:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Liam Kelly, Robby McCrorie (3)

Central Defenders: Grant Hanley, Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry, Declan Gallagher (4)

Wing backs: Nathan Patterson, Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Aaron Hickey, Anthony Ralston (5)

Central Midfielders: Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack, Lewis Ferguson (6)

Attacking midfielders: John McGinn, Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, David Turnbull (4)

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Jacob Brown, Ross Stewart (4) 

Cooper and/or Souttar could play their way in if they come back from injury in the next week or two. Greg Taylor and Stephen O’Donnell miss out due to the emergence of young wing backs. I think Jack Hendry will end up keeping his place in the squad even despite not being featured at Brugge. 

First choice XI:

Gordon

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Patterson-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn-Adams-Christie 

Declan Gallagher?Oh my god!

With the squad announcement coming up within the next two weeks I thought I may as well post up how players are getting on in terms of game time. I think anyone under 100 minutes of game time is a little bit of a concern but not massive and all have their individual circumstances. Based on players selected in the last 12 months.

image.thumb.png.2055a6f668fe2488a580f1a7762a6a4b.png

So I'll keep an eye out to see if Fraser, Cooper, Gilmour, Hendry, Ferguson, Ralston, Forrest and Souttar get more game time. I don't think we'll see McRorie or Nisbet get any and not sure what's happening with Zander Clark. He is a free agent so presumably just waiting for an opportunity that suits him.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Could we see a shock return for Oli Burke if he scores another couple of goals between now and squad announcement ahead of Brown?

Assuming nobody young breaks through I would just have whosever most in form in a decent league as 3rd slot striker unless one comes particularly good.  A bit simplistic but there’s not really much at all between that plethora of Meh.