Northern Ireland Football League (NIFL) 2022/23

Clockwork

Feels a bit empty today with the League openers in Scotland & England, whilst we wait another fortnight for new season to get started in the NIFL. Goals from Ben Tilney & Lloyd Anderson earn Carrick a comfortable pre-season win over neighbours Ballyclare Comrades at the Taylor’s though. (2-0). 

On 07/08/2022 at 12:20, Jacksgranda said:

Happy with that!

Doesn’t seem like David Healy was though, unusually critical of his players approach and attitude to the game, although a fixture they could probably have done without and not one that seems to create much interest as a ‘curtain-raiser’ these days. Understand from a Crus supporting pal that there was barely over a thousand there!!
Very much looking forward to to the league openers this weekend though!👍

First up - Larne Vs Glentoran @19.45 on Friday 12th August (live from Inver Park live on (BBC Northern Ireland/iPlayer. 

Edited by Clockwork

2 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Doesn’t seem like David Healy was though, unusually critical of his players approach and attitude to the game, although a fixture they could probably have done without and not one that seems to create much interest as a ‘curtain-raiser’ these days. Understand from a Crus supporting pal that there was barely over a thousand there!!
Very much looking forward to to the league openers this weekend though!👍

First up - Larne Vs Glentoran @19.45 on Friday 12th August (live from Inver Park live on (BBC Northern Ireland/iPlayer. 

I quite like Healy, he seems well grounded, and not arrogant or condescending to the other teams.

In fact, I can't really say any of the Premiership managers really get up my nose. Will have to work on that! :lol:

A nervy tense opener with few chances other than Jay Donnelly’s effort. 0-0 about right. Don’t think Larne or the Glens will take much from that other than a scratchy point each! Awful viewing for the neutrals tbh! 🤨

Institute's ground to be demolished.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62404573

A real shame, but they were never going back there eh![emoji53]
Would be great to see a new ‘Waterside’ on the east bank of the Foyle though![emoji106]. Could see them drawing a decent wee crowd with a permanent home over there?

The new season in the NIFL Championship kicked off with an impressive win for new boys Newington FC who raced into a 3-0 lead within the first 20 minutes against Dergview. The north Belfast outfit, (who ground share with Cliftonville at Solitude) had Patrick Downey, Richard Gowdy, and Darren Stuart to thank in getting the Swans off to a great start, before shell-shocked Dergview managed to pull one back through Calvin McCallion. Stuart then restoring the 3 goal lead with quarter of an hour to go. Will look forward to seeing how they get on next week down in Fermanagh at Ballinamallard.
The Ducks travelled to Ballyclare yesterday securing a point in a cagey 0-0 draw with the Comrades at Dixon Park. Down in Craigavon, Annagh United enjoyed a comfortable start with a 2-0 win over Knockbreda at the BMG. Goals from Conor Mullen before the break and Stephen Murray in the closing minutes sealing the the 3 points.
Dundela edged passed Institute at Wilgar Park with a solitary goal from Chris Rogers on the hour mark, whilst Welders, despite enjoying much of the possession went down 0-2 at home to Ards, off to a flyer with goals from Johnny Taylor and Pat Cafolla.

Finally in rounding things up, Loughgall also won 2-0 at home to Warrenpoint, relegated from the top flight last term. The Villagers who will surely push again this season, scooping all the points with goals from Jamie Rae just after half time and Ben Magee in the closing minutes. 
Loughgall visit Ards in the first of next week's fixtures in the Friday night game from Clandeboye Park. 

Edited by Clockwork

1 hour ago, H Wragg said:

I see Linfield are playing Portadown today.

Is Sunday football going to become a 'normal' thing now in NI?

I thought it was still very much frowned upon in certain quarters.

It still is, to some extent in certain quarters. I blame the NIP...

Last season Linfield had a lot of games to make up because of European adventures, so maybe this is an attempt to circumvent that scenario.

3 hours ago, H Wragg said:

I see Linfield are playing Portadown today.

Is Sunday football going to become a 'normal' thing now in NI?

I thought it was still very much frowned upon in certain quarters.

There's an attempt to play a few Sunday games this season on a trial basis I'm led to believe. Let's see how popular it is with fans. Can't say I'm overly keen myself and I'm the least religious person you'll meet. Linfield are still in Europe and it's in all our interests to see them doing well. No matter how much it sticks in our craw.

Just now, Clockwork said:

Any chance we can just take this shite right out of the game . It offers absolutely nothing for youngsters growing up and playing sport (not just football), across Northern Ireland?🙄

I think clubs have done their best, fans aren't as blatantly sectarian as they used to be, the majority of fans would be protestant I suppose, although I've never seen a survey. A great deal of progress has been made since I first attended a match at the Coleraine Showgrounds 49 years ago.

However, eejits like that among the players does nobody any favours. And a Larne player of all teams!