The Queen of the South thread

We certainly cant afford to lose all three if we want 4th and Raith is necessarily the most important of the three. Its far from over if we happen to lose there though. We would be 7 behind with a game in hand against Dumbarton and a head to head at Palmerston to come.

Some big games ahead though. Once through these next three we will have 8 games left including trips to Ibrox and Easter Road where anything got would be a bonus. I have said previously with Raith finishing at Livi while we are at Easter Road and looking like they will have the better goal difference we probably need to get ourselves 4 points ahead going into the final week. Its going to be difficult. Could have done with St Mirren getting something today.

I agree, but it might be that Livi have something massive to play for, while Hibs have something big to save themselves for on that last day. All ifs and buts of course.

It's conceivable that we could face Hibs in three successive matches if all goes well for us and Falkirk.

Your £1 or £10 bet that you have lost just give the money to Queens somehow.Looks like you are finally saying what I told you months ago that Queens will not make the top 4.We just do not want to or try and score enough goals.We need a striker could have got Hardie on loan but instead we sign Murdoch from Rangers another midfielder.

Where did I say that? Stop making things up.

All our games I feel are must win now. Was hoping Raith might slip up today but it was not to be. I fear anything but a win on Tuesday will kill off fourth place because of the way fixtures for us and those around us have gone. And the fixtures to come of course.

Are you saying that we need to win every remaining game to be 4th.

Also that if we draw on Tuesday and thus are 4 points behind Raith with a game in hand 4th place is gone.

Really?

Are you saying that we need to win every remaining game to be 4th.

Also that if we draw on Tuesday and thus are 4 points behind Raith with a game in hand 4th place is gone.

Really?

The phrase "must win game" is the most frequently inappropriately used phrase in football. We are not remotely in the "must win" ballpark yet. We are not even in the must not lose territory though certainly a loss on Tuesday will make it difficult to bridge the gap. As I said earlier we would be 7 behind with a game in hand at Dumbarton and a head to head to come.

The phrase "must win game" is the most frequently inappropriately used phrase in football. We are not remotely in the "must win" ballpark yet. We are not even in the must not lose territory though certainly a loss on Tuesday will make it difficult to bridge the gap. As I said earlier we would be 7 behind with a game in hand at Dumbarton and a head to head to come.

Personally at this stage I would say our game in hand is the one v Morton. It was due to be played this weekend and is played a month before Dumbarton. I think play a rearranged game in March but not sure which midweek it is and that's the St Mirren away game.

Personally at this stage I would say our game in hand is the one v Morton. It was due to be played this weekend and is played a month before Dumbarton. I think play a rearranged game in March but not sure which midweek it is and that's the St Mirren away game.

Morton away is Tuesday 15th March & St Mirren away on Saturday 12th March. Edited by RUSTY1111

Of course it's not over If we get beat but it makes it highly unlikely we will get the 4th spot If we do. We have the game In hand but this is where we need to make it count taking our first win of the campaign against the team directly above us. After the next three we will know where we will probably end up. Anything less than 4-6 points for me and I think it will be extremely difficult to get the play offs. Just my opinion though .

Edited by QosLoyal

We certainly cant afford to lose all three if we want 4th and Raith is necessarily the most important of the three. Its far from over if we happen to lose there though. We would be 7 behind with a game in hand against Dumbarton and a head to head at Palmerston to come.

Some big games ahead though. Once through these next three we will have 8 games left including trips to Ibrox and Easter Road where anything got would be a bonus. I have said previously with Raith finishing at Livi while we are at Easter Road and looking like they will have the better goal difference we probably need to get ourselves 4 points ahead going into the final week. Its going to be difficult. Could have done with St Mirren getting something today.

Your game in hand is not against Dumbarton, it's against Morton..

Before the weekend, we had played the same number of games.. We obviously played yesterday and your game that was originally scheduled for yesterday was against Morton therefore that is your game in hand over us..

Before the weekend, we had played the same number of games.. We obviously played yesterday and your game that was originally scheduled for yesterday was against Morton therefore that is your game in hand over us..

Technically correct, I see what you mean there but Queens also have a postponed game from earlier in the season at Dumbarton and this is probably what they mean.

Depends how you want to look at it. We have two o/s rearrangements, the first one postponed was against Dumbarton and as it will be played later than Morton and after you have caught up yours with St Mirren then for me it is effectively our game in hand. The Morton one matches up against yours at Paisley, though granted we play Morton a week earlier so we will briefly be back to level games. Edited by Skyline Drifter

Guest Flash

Not sure how many points we will need from the next 3 games but it will probably have to be more than we got first time round which was none.

And in the first round of the remaining 11 fixtures we took 11 points. If we repeat that, Raith would only need 8 points from their last 10 games to finish above us. And as that would include 4 points from us, they would only need 4 points from their other 8 games.

Of course, we might do better in the remaining second round of fixtures having beaten St.Mirren and Hibs which were both defeats first time.

Not sure how many points we will need from the next 3 games but it will probably have to be more than we got first time round which was none.

I hadn't realised that we'd taken nothing from each venue earlier on. Not a cheery thought.

We seem to treat away games against sides of similar stature to ours, as absolute mountains, where grabbing anything is a huge bonus.

I hadn't realised that we'd taken nothing from each venue earlier on. Not a cheery thought.

We seem to treat away games against sides of similar stature to ours, as absolute mountains, where grabbing anything is a huge bonus.

Yes we seem obsessed with what the opposition might or might not do and forget that we actually have a number of talented players ourselves.

I watched most of the Rangers game yesterday and was impressed with the way that Warburton packs his team with footballers. Of the starting 11 only Kiernan and Wilson sat deep - every other player was attcking at every opportunity. Both full backs playing as auxiliary wingers and Holt and Halliday getting forward constantly to support the front 3. We could do a lot worse than trust our ability and see where it takes us.

I hadn't realised that we'd taken nothing from each venue earlier on. Not a cheery thought. We seem to treat away games against sides of similar stature to ours, as absolute mountains, where grabbing anything is a huge bonus.

Of course an alternative view would be that because we haven't taken anything from these venues then they are absolute mountains and a cautious approach is justified. Is it maybe a chicken/egg situation, what came first the poor results or the tentative approach.

I'm no different to anyone else in that I'd like to see us remove the shackles slightly and become a bit more pleasant on the eye. I still firmly believe that the mentality of the manager is only a factor in the performances this season though and that the abilities (or lack of) of the players are the main factor. We simply don't have good enough players to play the free flowing, dynamic, attacking football that certain fans seem to think is our divine right to witness. We have a very average squad, who are probably doing better than we expected pre-season. I suppose someone of a certain view point would find fault with the manager for assembly said squad, whilst another would praise him for getting the best out of the tools available. Either way I can't see a sudden shift in mentality whilst we are still right in contention.

I don't think it should come as any great surprise to anyone that we look likely to finish the season stronger than we started. That was pretty inevitable with all the changes in the Summer. To be right in the mix despite not firing on all cylinders is a positive at this stage, surely massive games like Tuesday are what it's all about? We should be looking forward to it, not wary of it.

I hadn't realised that we'd taken nothing from each venue earlier on. Not a cheery thought. We seem to treat away games against sides of similar stature to ours, as absolute mountains, where grabbing anything is a huge bonus.

You are basing this conclusion on what, exactly? Who is "we"? The fans posting on here? I don't recall any particular indications that the manager or team treated them that way.

For me we were the better side in the first game at Raith (which doesn't excuse allowing Benedictus an unmarked header to win it) and probably just about at St Mirren although a draw would have been fair enough. Both losses were harsh on us. We were poor at Morton, it was one of our worst showings of the season and we deserved to lose. I don't think however that we played any of them as if they were "mountains" and not getting any points out of them doesn't particularly indicate that we did.

I still firmly believe that the mentality of the manager is only a factor in the performances this season though and that the abilities (or lack of) of the players are the main factor.

I totally agree with this and I've said so before. We deliver ordinary performances, primarily on account of having ordinary players.

Our away record against full time teams is poor though and I think there's a caution about us that is unmerited, given that our rivals are equally ordinary.

You are basing this conclusion on what, exactly? Who is "we"? The fans posting on here? I don't recall any particular indications that the manager or team treated them that way.

For me we were the better side in the first game at Raith (which doesn't excuse allowing Benedictus an unmarked header to win it) and probably just about at St Mirren although a draw would have been fair enough. Both losses were harsh on us. We were poor at Morton, it was one of our worst showings of the season and we deserved to lose. I don't think however that we played any of them as if they were "mountains" and not getting any points out of them doesn't particularly indicate that we did.

In saying "we" SD, I was really just doing that thing fans do, of feeling a part of the club and speaking collectively. I suppose it's daft, but I hadn't realised a club tie was necessary for such indulgence. Do forgive me.

As I recall, the away performance at Raith was a decent one and the defeat a tad unfortunate. The other two owed much though to our lack of enterprise and threat.