The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

You'd think we were battling relegation the way half the folk are going on.

You'd think we were battling relegation the way Fowler has us playing most of the time.

Yes it is nonsense to suggest we are only missing Reilly and Carmichael. Which is why I didn't say that. I said I didn't think losing any of the other players has affected our capability to attack.

Not having a player who scored the odd goal from set pieces makes no difference whatsoever to any team's ability to attack. To suggest otherwise really is absolute nonsense. It might slightly affect their goal scoring record, but not the way they play.

And having a left back whose final ball sometimes lets him down and who hasn't yet added the odd goal again doesn't affect the capability. He can still get forward just the same.

The argument being put forward previously was that the players we lost in the summer have affected our ability to attack. Kerr didn't leave in the summer. He left halfway through last season. Nobody has previously suggested that we only played attacking football for half of last season. Is that the new argument?

McShane is a loss but, again, shouldn't have a huge effect on the capability to attack. Unless the midfield players we have are incapable of playing a forward pass. I thought that is what Millar, at least, was for.

We have shown in games that we are more than capable of attacking teams with the players we have. It is just that when we score first, we stop. Or we only start after we go behind.

While you are unwilling/unable to accept the correlation between good players and good performances, and average players and average performances I don't think I can really say anymore.

I'm not trying to claim things are perfect, but considering where we expected to be pre-season, and where we should be based on certain performances I don't think we are doing too badly. I think that in itself is cause to be reasonably happy. The biggest fear of many of our supporters was that the season would peter out into a dead rubber, something that is yet to happen. Poor results in our next three games will in all likelihood see that happen, but even then, still being in with a shout of the playoffs by mid-March is probably better than most expected.

While you are unwilling/unable to accept the correlation between good players and good performances, and average players and average performances I don't think I can really say anymore.

I'm not trying to claim things are perfect, but considering where we expected to be pre-season, and where we should be based on certain performances I don't think we are doing too badly. I think that in itself is cause to be reasonably happy. The biggest fear of many of our supporters was that the season would peter out into a dead rubber, something that is yet to happen. Poor results in our next three games will in all likelihood see that happen, but even then, still being in with a shout of the playoffs by mid-March is probably better than most expected.

I would agree this is a good assumption of the season for Queens.

Another player we miss badly in my opinion is Steven McKenna for a strange reason he gets over looked on the list of players we lost last summer. A yellow card waiting to happen but he broke up play well and moved the ball forward at every chance. Our midfield would have benefited with him present this season.

I am disappointed we are being set up not to lose most games instead of going out to win them. We aren't as good a side as last year but we have the potential to be better than we have been. With some believe and a more attacking set up we will finish fourth imo. If we continue to sit deep and invite trouble like Fowler usually sets us up to do we will lose more than we will win and might finish 7th. That in my book would be an extremely disappointing season.

Sounds like the dark days of Gus have returned for you guys. Seeing your team set up not to lose has to be the most piss-poor, deflating and frustrating feeling for any fan. We had our own horrendous spell for that mind-numbing square-ball walking pace crab football, particularly the season we got relegated, although it did carry on a depressingly long time afterward. Seeing us line up at home with one up front (any time, but particularly against a team struggling in 9th or 10th) does my head in. And definitely has affected crowd numbers imo.

The notion of having a go - attack as the best form of defence - has been drummed out of so many of the league's young managers. Craig Brown was a major culprit in this and it filtered into our league. Scaredy-cat football is pish. A lot of the championship teams are much of a muchness, not just this season, and a little bit more adventure, ambition and energy wouldn't go amiss. 4th this year is very much there for the taking, if someone in the chasing pack would have a fecking go at it. No wonder you're disillusioned.

Another player we miss badly in my opinion is Steven McKenna for a strange reason he gets over looked on the list of players we lost last summer. A yellow card waiting to happen but he broke up play well and moved the ball forward at every chance. Our midfield would have benefited with him present this season.

Whilst not disagreeing that McKenna is a loss (though the idea that he moved the ball forward at every chance seems a bit of a reach!) it's also a fact that he barely played last season and isn't a major loss in comparison to last year's team. That's why he's often over-looked. He and Burns would both have added something to the squad this year (we presumably wouldn't have Jacobs and likely Hutton though) but they were only bit part players last year.

For me, and I'm not being wise after the event as I said it in the summer too, whilst all the main suspects who left in the summer were a loss as they went upwards for a reason, the one we miss most is McShane. He made us tick from the middle of the park. Never understood how some didn't rate him. At least some of those are beginning to appreciate him more now he's not here though.

McShane could deliver a dead ball effectively but flattered to deceive really if McKenna had been available last season chances are he would never have got a look in anyway. McShane was guilty of being caught out of position regularly what did at times put us under pressure needlessly. Not surprised he is a bit part player at Dingwall and didn't cover himself in glory as Dundee UTD scored at least he had Mark Durnan on hand to discuss there goal conceding errors .....

The dark days of Gus saw us being relegated. Only fans with very short memories would consider this season to be resembling anything close to "dark days".

I don't remember Gus to be negative but then again I didn't go much after about November. It was just a team full of fairly poor players who played absolutely shite. This season is nowhere near that bad but I don't think many could argue it has been a good season for watching queens.

I don't remember Gus to be negative but then again I didn't go much after about November. It was just a team full of fairly poor players who played absolutely shite. This season is nowhere near that bad but I don't think many could argue it has been a good season for watching queens.

It's been a dreadful season our negative approach is awful, the sad thing is they can come out and play some attacking football and put teams under pressure but 90% of the time it's avoid defeat at all costs. I have often stood on the terracing thinking I should be paid to come and watch LOL

I hope Queens design a decent away kit for next season as well as a traditional blue home kit.

I'd like the home kit to be a royal blue shirt (circa 1950s) with white shorts and blue socks.

I'd like the away kit to be a yellow shirt with blue shorts and yellow socks.

This season certainly won't go into the records books as a classic, the disappointing cup runs have seen to that even if we do make it into the playoffs. Macpherson got us relegated after a decade or so of being established at this level. I don't know how many times we've been relegated in our history, but it is the sort of black mark that does go into the history books. It's not really comparable to this season in the slightest and the fact people are trying to shows just how spoiled we have been in the past few years.

Unless you were alive in the 50s we are currently living through would could rightly be called "the glory years".

I like this season's black one. And was it 2013 or 14 white away.

I don't know why Queens bothered with a black third kit. The white away kit would have sufficed. Didn't like the red and black striped shirt in the relegation season under McPherson.

This season certainly won't go into the records books as a classic, the disappointing cup runs have seen to that even if we do make it into the playoffs. Macpherson got us relegated after a decade or so of being established at this level. I don't know how many times we've been relegated in our history, but it is the sort of black mark that does go into the history books. It's not really comparable to this season in the slightest and the fact people are trying to shows just how spoiled we have been in the past few years.

Unless you were alive in the 50s we are currently living through would could rightly be called "the glory years".

Queens have been relegated 7 times in their history, 49-50; 58-59; 63-64; 78-79; 81-82; 88-89; 11-12..... Edited by RUSTY1111

mmm I bought that red strip not my best decision. Yellow one is nice if not a bit bright

Looking forward to next seasons tops expecting a far better effort than the ones from this year. Wouldn't mind a return of the yellow as an away top tbf.

Queens have been relegated 7 times in their history, 49-50; 58-59; 63-64; 78-79; 81-82; 88-89; 11-12.....

Were we in the top flight right through from the thirties until 1950 then? I know a war got in the way, but that was a bit of a spell.